E2 Hepa Filter Fan

Blue21

Re: E2 Hepa Filter Fan

Postby Blue21 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:40 am

Done the update via USB, "online update" didn't detect the new version.
Done a test with 10 minutes timeout for power saving and 5 minutes timeout for fans to be off. Now it says on display "Exhaust fan" so it should be really the HEPA filter fan.

The display turn off as expected but the HEPA filter fan not.
I am restating the printer and lauching another test but I have low hope.

Checked the release notes but I don't see anything about that fan.
E2 + Prusa Mini (soon) <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm

So after a second test, it is same as first. The HEPA filter fan is not handled by the new firmware release. I didn't found any instruction about what settings to enable this functionality and I had guessed the settings for what make sense.

meelo88

Postby meelo88 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:37 pm

I just installed Firmware Ver 1.4.3.806

Set Power Saving to 5 min
Set Rear and Side Fans to turn off after 5 min

At about 5 minutes (using my phone timer) the enclosure LEDs and screen shut off as well as the rear fan. However, my behavior was the same on the last version of FW so I don't know if this changed anything.

I suspect that your mainboard may have issues if your fans are not shutting off.
Printers: Raise3D E2 - MatterHackers Pulse (B Frame)

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:38 pm

I have 2 E2 printers. The first I received about 2 months ago and had firmware 1.4.0.103. On this machine, the HEPA filter fan turns off when idle as set in the Advanced settings screen. I then ordered a second E2 which I received about 2 weeks ago. This second machine arrived with firmware 1.4.0.323 and the HEPA fan DOES NOT turn off when idle despite setting the same settings as my first printer to disable side and rear fans after 5 mins.

This evening I upgraded this second machine to the new 1.4.3.806 firmware and the HEPA fan still DOES NOT turn off in idle. Very disappointing and as this clearly should turn off, as my first E2 does, and unless Raise comes up with a fix I assume the machine is faulty and will likely request an exchange or return.

I have created a ticket related to this and will see what response I get and whether there is a resolution. A £3000 printer and the fans don't even go silent in idle :(

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:40 am

Aero3D wrote:I have 2 E2 printers. The first I received about 2 months ago and had firmware 1.4.0.103. On this machine, the HEPA filter fan turns off when idle as set in the Advanced settings screen. I then ordered a second E2 which I received about 2 weeks ago. This second machine arrived with firmware 1.4.0.323 and the HEPA fan DOES NOT turn off when idle despite setting the same settings as my first printer to disable side and rear fans after 5 mins.

This evening I upgraded this second machine to the new 1.4.3.806 firmware and the HEPA fan still DOES NOT turn off in idle. Very disappointing and as this clearly should turn off, as my first E2 does, and unless Raise comes up with a fix I assume the machine is faulty and will likely request an exchange or return.

I have created a ticket related to this and will see what response I get and whether there is a resolution. A £3000 printer and the fans don't even go silent in idle :(

I got my E2 at the end of June and it had firmware 1.4.0.323 installed the same as you. I've installed the latest 1.4.3.806 firmware and there is still no control over the Hepa fan.
Why on earth would a "developer" remove a much needed feature, thus downgrading the software ?

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:49 am

Aero3D wrote:... A £3000 printer and the fans don't even go silent in idle :(

Fully agree.
Still waiting for an official statement from Raise3D if the hepa filter can or cannot be turned off and what would make it possible or not.

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:56 am

Bikeracer wrote:There really needs to be a way of choosing whether the Hepa fan is on or off in the software, because since I disconnected mine the printer is really quiet in use and the other fans can barely be heard, it's certainly a lot more pleasant to be in the same room with it.

So if the noisy Hepa fan can only be disabled when the printer is idle it will still be running even if it is not required, such as printing with PLA and the lid open.

I'll download and install the latest update, but there's nothing in the release notes to suggest any more control over the fans has been added.
https://www.raise3d.com/news/raisetouch ... s-e2-only/

Just have to see after it's been installed.

From another thread: https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20743&p=56199#p56199
Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:41 am: "Just got confirmation from developing team. The version 1.4.0.323 is a version for the latest batch E2s with a new motor which is using a differnt current value comparing with the value in official version. And this value is the only difference between the version on your printer and the official version online. And we are going to release a new 1.4.3 version very soon for all E2s."

Sounds like a downgrade or there are other hardware changes we are not told that make new batches incompatible with handling the rear fan.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:19 am

Aero3D wrote:

Considering UK consumer law says that the retailer can have one go to fix a fault in the first six months, if that fails then the consumer can request a replacement or refund I'm just wondering myself whether to pursue this course of action.

Raise3D_User1

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:21 am

Replace it with a noctua fan. Problem solved. You'll never hear it again. The fan they have in the stock units are SUPER CRAPPY OEM fans, like probably the cheapest they could find.

Curiositas

Postby Curiositas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:54 am

Just upgraded it to 1.4.3.086. Still no change in the Filter Fan behavior. It just won't turn off. The machine is now 2 months old. And sure I could replace it with a Noctua fan. But honestly, for 3000 bucks it is a no go! Very disappointed at this point.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:10 am

Raise3D_User1 wrote:Replace it with a noctua fan. Problem solved. You'll never hear it again. The fan they have in the stock units are SUPER CRAPPY OEM fans, like probably the cheapest they could find.

I appreciate what you're saying, however the fact it is always running even if when not needed is poor software programming IMO, especially when that feature was in an earlier software version.
Really do have to wonder at such a noisy fan on a printer in this price range though.

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Raise3D_User1 wrote:Replace it with a noctua fan. Problem solved. You'll never hear it again. The fan they have in the stock units are SUPER CRAPPY OEM fans, like probably the cheapest they could find.

Certainly an option for consideration, but I would like to know why one of my E2 machines turns off the HEPA fan and the other does not, despite running the same firmware.

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:35 pm

I have an open ticket with raise3D and they are looking into it, together with my supplier. Interestingly, I was asked to provide a log file and the exported file is reporting the incorrect firmware.

WayZada

Postby WayZada » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:19 pm

+1 Following this thread in hopes of gaining more control over the exhaust fan

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:33 pm

Wondering whether to upgrade my first machine to the new firmware (currently on 1.4.0.103). Just concerned it may reverse the HEPA fan control that is currently working on this machine. Hmnmn. should I give it a go?

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:09 pm

So I bit the bullet and upgraded. HEPA fan control still works :) Just need to sort the second machine now. Looking more like maybe a hardware change in the later units may be causing it.

Does anyone know the spec of the exhaust (HEPA filter) fan? Size and voltage/amperage? May look at a Noctua and but one if R3D and/or supplier do not sort this.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:43 am

Blue21 wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We would not recomend it. However, if you would not like the fan to run you can disconnect it. There should be a connector right below the fan. But actually the fan does not really use very much enerygy even when it is running.

We need clear statements from Raise3D:

1 Can the HEPA filter for the enclosure at the rear of E2 be turned off after some given timeout ?
    2 Is there some version (hardware or firmware) that can do it and some not ?
    3 If it can be done, how to set it ?

Sorry for late reply.
Yes, you can set the fan to turn off when the machine is idle. The option is under Setting>Machine>More Settings>Advanced Settings>Power off the exhaust fan and side fans when printer is idle.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:18 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Blue21 wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We would not recomend it. However, if you would not like the fan to run you can disconnect it. There should be a connector right below the fan. But actually the fan does not really use very much enerygy even when it is running.

1 Can the HEPA filter for the enclosure at the rear of E2 be turned off after some given timeout ?

Sorry for late reply.
Yes, you can set the fan to turn off when the machine is idle. The option is under Setting>Machine>More Settings>Advanced Settings>Power off the exhaust fan and side fans when printer is idle.

Well that is just not so on my machine, we seem to be going round in circles here.
It's been repeatedly stated that the disable fans feature has no effect on controlling the Hepa fan.

Why does Raise3d fit a fan with barely enough wiring to get the connecting plugs together in the most awkward, dark corner of the printer so that when trying to unplug or plug it back in it's such a nightmare task even trying to see the plugs when your hands are in the way. I've just really struggled to reconnect my fan after your post and there is still NO CONTROL over the Hepa fan. Now I've got to struggle to disconnect it again.

There is also another problem with no control over the Hepa fan in that because it is on all the time it very quickly becomes clogged up and needs a new filter cartridge therefore rendering it useless as a Hepa fan or any other type of filter fan.
When I reconnected the fan I had a look at the filter and was not happy to see that it looks like a new clean filter is required already.

So I would like to know.......If the Hepa fan can only be stopped by unplugging it and reconnecting if needed are Raise3d willing to supply free filter elements as required.
Last edited by Bikeracer on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:38 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Blue21 wrote:

Sorry for late reply.

Thanks for the answer, I assume it is related to the HEPA filter fan as it is the topic? This is not working on mine. Issue is under investigation by my supplier and Raise3D but the feedback got from raise3d sounds to go to issue with the right extruder delay to reach temperature ???, totally not where the problem is. I have less and less hope it will go into a solution.

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:44 pm

I would also like to confirm that the feedback from Vicky above is incorrect.

On one of my machines that was delivered with f/w version 1.4.0.103 the HEPA fan does turn off based on the setting for rear and side fans in the Advanced Setting screen. However, the second machine I received 4 weeks later. delivered with f/w version 1.4.0.323, the HEPA fan does NOT turn off with the same settings applied. I have now upgraded both machines to firmware version 1.4.3.806 and again the first machine continues to control the HEPA fan while the later machine does not. It seems to me this is a hardware issue not software/firmware.

What concerns me more than anything is that it appears Raise3D just have no idea about this issue nor are they taking on board what multiple customers, including myself, are telling them. Like Blue21 above, I have an open ticket with Raise3D regarding this issue which is also being managed by my UK supplier.

Return to “E2”