E2 Hepa Filter Fan

Curiositas

E2 Hepa Filter Fan

Postby Curiositas » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 am

Hi all!

I'm very happy with the Raise3D E2 and don't have any printing issues with it. But the very loud Hepa Filter Fan is what I dislike most. Therefore I disabled it after 5 Minutes in Idle over the touchscreen but nothing happens. I tried it with the time set to 1 min, 5 min, 15 min and so on. No change.

Is this a bug in the software or am I doing something wrong? A colleague of mine has the same printer and the Fan stops after the time he set.

Thank you in advance!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: E2 Hepa Filter Fan

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 am

Would you like to help check what version of firmware is currently running on the machine?

Timo

Postby Timo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 pm

My E2 will turn it off after 5 min.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:21 am

Mine has the same problem, the fans never ever turn off, just waste electricity and remain environmentaly unfriendly.

How old is your E2 ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:35 am

Would you like to advise which version's of firmware is currently running on your printer?

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:15 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Would you like to advise which version's of firmware is currently running on your printer?

According to the settings screen my firmware is Vers 1.4.0.323
I posted previously that Vers. 1.4.0.103 will not install.

Tried to update as follows...
I've clicked the " OK" to restart button.... made no difference after restart.
Started the install procedure again and switched it off and back on at the rear on/off switch instead.....made no difference.
Started the whole procedure again and pushed the restart button on the settings screen....made no difference.

I still get the screen that wants me to choose a Raisepack to install but will not let me, so I still have the problem that the update will not install.
The update vers. 1.4.0.103 seems to be an earlier number than the vers. 1.4.0.323 that is installed ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:42 am

Version 1.4.0.323 is a higher version.
https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 199#p56199

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:39 am

Thanks, however the problem of the fan constantly running is still there.
The fans start even before the software is loaded and continue until the machine is physically switched off.

It's as if the fans are only connected to the on/off switch ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 am

Would you like to share an image of your machine settings screen? And also, an image of the settings menu where you are trying to adjust how long it takes for the fan to power off when the machine is idle.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:47 pm

This is a reply from my supplier that was received from Raise3D.....

quote........
"- The front fans for the hot ends will always be on as they are not controlled by the touchscreen or software. They are continuously provided 12V. However, the side model cooling fans can be turned off. The customer may also try using the feature below in the advanced settings:
- Press gear symbol on the top right > Machine > More Settings > Advanced Settings > Power Save mode & Close the filter fan and side fans when printer is idlle"

So when the present print finishes I will go through the above procedure, I assume by "Close the filter fan" it means disable it ?
Because, so far I have never got the filter fan to stop except by switching the printer off.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 am

Yes, "Close filter fan" is the setting to power off the fan when the machine is idle.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:11 am

Okay, I've followed the instructions.

There does not seem to be anyway of switching the filter fan off, I've tried as advised and it makes no difference, the filter fan starts as soon as the printer is switched on and there is no way I can find to switch it off in the software, it comes on even before the printer boots up.

This means the fan(s) can run for several hours after a print finishes, not really very desirable and a total waste of energy. I'm printing PLA and I print with the lid open, so the filter fan is uselessly switched on and serves no purpose.

Should I disconnect it ?

The 'Disable fans" does not appear to work in my case.
Just what are the different fans.....Hepa fan, hot end fans, part cooling fans, controller cooling fans, side fans etc. ?

Would like to know just what fans the software controls and can they be controlled in the software

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:04 am

We would not recomend it. However, if you would not like the fan to run you can disconnect it. There should be a connector right below the fan. But actually the fan does not really use very much enerygy even when it is running.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 am

Okay, so basically there is no way to control any of the fans.....they're on all the time and the disable feature does not work and the Hepa filter fan runs even if it's not needed ?

It makes no sense that all the fans are running even when the printer is not actually doing anything.

Really would have expected better at this price point !

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:46 pm

I think there are 2 points. The OP was only talking of the enclosure fan with the HEPA filter. This seems to be constantly on by hardware design. Yes, would be better it follows the power saving mode.

There are the other fans (extruder and print cooling fans, internal electronic boards fans).
The description on the display is confusing.
First there is in the advanced settings page 2 "Power Saving Mode" where it can be enabled and a timeout set. I set it with 20 minutes.
Second on page 3 "Close the filter fan and side fans when the printer is idle" where is enable/disable fans and a timeout. I set it to 10 minutes.

"Filter fan" sounds like the rear fan with the filter and side fans the ones for the electronic boards ???
I would expect the extruder and print cooling fans are automatically handled by the print process. Seems to me that during boot print cooling fan is on but then after it turn off. Extruder cooling is always on, probably for safety reason.

Searched in documentation for any explanation but apart https://support.raise3d.com/E2/turn-on-the-power-saving-mode-20-1223.html I found nothing and the info in this page not really helpful.

Past the 10 minutes, I think I still hear the noise of the electronic board fans, I don't have a visual on them.

Past the 20 minutes, the LCD panel turn off and the noise of the fans seems to be the same as before.

Power consumption:
5 minutes after boot: 23 W
15 minutes (after fans timeout): 20.5 W
25 minutes (after power saving mode activated): 16 W
Capture04.PNG

So something happened at the timeout set for power but regarding noise reduction, nothing.
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:08 pm

Thanks for that thoughtful reply.
Yes, I also find the touch screen a little confusing regarding disabling the fans, not sure if 'Disable Fans' switches them off altogether or only comes into play with setting the idle time delay.

I have unpluged the Hepa fan and the machine is now almost silent, at least now I should be able to tell if the software is controlling the other fans because I hopefully will hear them.

If only the Hepa fan was controlled from the touchscreen !

The fan noise was annoying and iritating more than anything, at least it was nowhere near the decibel level of the Flashforge Creator 3 that I had for about three weeks and sent back.

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Bikeracer wrote:I have unpluged the Hepa fan and the machine is now almost silent, at least now I should be able to tell if the software is controlling the other fans because I hopefully will hear them.

If only the Hepa fan was controlled from the touchscreen !

So true for both statements !

There is a new thread https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20798 where the OP says that its filter fan stop when the printer is idle. Would mean he has a different hardware version.

If there is no software way, it will be time for a hardware mode with some timer and detection of end of print or other criteria.

Blue21

Postby Blue21 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:25 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We would not recomend it. However, if you would not like the fan to run you can disconnect it. There should be a connector right below the fan. But actually the fan does not really use very much enerygy even when it is running.

We need clear statements from Raise3D:

1 Can the HEPA filter for the enclosure at the rear of E2 be turned off after some given timeout ?
    2 Is there some version (hardware or firmware) that can do it and some not ?
    3 If it can be done, how to set it ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:35 am

Bikeracer wrote:Okay, so basically there is no way to control any of the fans.....they're on all the time and the disable feature does not work and the Hepa filter fan runs even if it's not needed ?

It makes no sense that all the fans are running even when the printer is not actually doing anything.

Really would have expected better at this price point !

We will release a new version firmware this week. Please update your firmware to that version and check whether the issue of turning Fan Off during idle being fixed or not.
We will forward your request over to developing team.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:08 am

There really needs to be a way of choosing whether the Hepa fan is on or off in the software, because since I disconnected mine the printer is really quiet in use and the other fans can barely be heard, it's certainly a lot more pleasant to be in the same room with it.

So if the noisy Hepa fan can only be disabled when the printer is idle it will still be running even if it is not required, such as printing with PLA and the lid open.

I'll download and install the latest update, but there's nothing in the release notes to suggest any more control over the fans has been added.
https://www.raise3d.com/news/raisetouch ... s-e2-only/

Just have to see after it's been installed.

Return to “E2”