0.20 Raise3D hardened nozzles aren't working right

Raise3D_User1

0.20 Raise3D hardened nozzles aren't working right

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:24 pm

So using the 0.40 factory nozzles, I had good success with the printer running tests and getting used to it. But most of the stuff I print is finely detailed so I use .25 nozzles (Raise has .20 instead, so I went with that). I followed the instructions to get the nozzles installed correctly and manually re-calibrated (there is no auto-calibration for anything except 0.40 nozzles using PLA, a major oversight for a printer this expensive).

I have had nothing but print failures, one after another. It's like it's being sliced for a 0.40 nozzle, making stringy, messy prints, even though I have the printer and ideamaker (printer and filament) set for 0.20 nozzles. This is my 5th 3D printer and I've NEVER had this much trouble getting prints out after a nozzle change. All the other printers had profiles for nozzle size and printer and I just tweaked slightly from there. Raise has no 0.20 E2 nozzle profile I could find.

The problems almost certainly are with the Ideamaker slicing since the prints it slices with whatever parameters I try can be a mess, but the WIPE TOWER cube is ALWAYS perfect. It looks like I expect the actual print itself to look and never does. So this goes back to no profiles for Ideamaker made for 0.20 Raise3D brand hardened nozzles that work.

Also, I understand that this is a new printer, but why release the printer and have ZERO approved filaments on your approved filament vendor page here:

https://www.raise3d.com/compatible-filaments/

There are no E2 approved filaments on the raise page. I'm assuming the Pro2 ones are fine, but to have NOTHING listed on the approved filament page for this expensive printer? Problematic.

Is there any ETA for Raise3D 0.20 nozzle profiles for ideamaker? If 0.40 is all there is, this printer is useless to me. I only got it because it said 0.20 nozzles were supported and Raise3D sold hardened ones.

Will the approved filament list be updated soon?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: 0.20 Raise3D hardened nozzles aren't working right

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 27, 2020 9:33 pm

If you'd like to, you can create a ticket so that we can walk him through setting the Z-offset manually. And we are currently working on getting new offset calibrations for different size nozzles and expanding our approved filaments for E2.

Raise3D_User1

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:56 pm

I'm making progress FINALLY with this. I'm not having any problems setting the Z-offset manually, I just can't print anything well with the 0.20 nozzles. The fact that the supports have the right amount of "squish" in the filament and the wipe tower is fine tells me the Z-offset is fine.

The main issue seems to be the extrusion percentages for 0.20 nozzles. Support recommended going to like 94%. After a LOT of experimentation, I think 88% might be the right zone for ABS at 240 degrees. I'm finally getting some prints that look better. This is a work in progress, though. It would have been nice if Raise had shipped the machine with profiles for the nozzles they sell already.

Raise3D_User1

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:54 am

An update. I gave up on the 0.20 nozzles. Until Raise 3D offers calibration for the 0.20 nozzles like the factory calibration for the 0.40 nozzles, it's just too much of a pain. Plus I spent weeks trying to get ABS printing well with the 0.20 nozzles and finally gave up and went to 0.40 and PETG. The high bed temperatures for ABS blew out the center of my buildtak platform since I was trying to print the same part in the same place over and over. I think it's still under warranty to get the buildtak replaced.

Short story? ABS is a nightmare on the E2 and 0.20 nozzle support in the machine firmware is SORELY needed.

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks for the update. It seems very short-sighted to release hardware without the software & documentation support required to get the most out of it - especially at this price point. "Let's build a car!" "What about the owner's manual and fuel recommendations?" "We'll figure that out later. . . . "

I'm in the market for an IDEX printer. Until Raise3D gets their act together, there's no point in considering the purchase of an E2 at this time. So much potential, but the rush to push a product out the door without the rest of what's REQUIRED to support it is not comforting.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Raise3D_User1

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:57 am

ccclarke wrote:Thanks for the update. It seems very short-sighted to release hardware without the software & documentation support required to get the most out of it - especially at this price point. "Let's build a car!" "What about the owner's manual and fuel recommendations?" "We'll figure that out later. . . . "

I'm in the market for an IDEX printer. Until Raise3D gets their act together, there's no point in considering the purchase of an E2 at this time. So much potential, but the rush to push a product out the door without the rest of what's REQUIRED to support it is not comforting.

If all you're doing is PLA, you can get the .20 nozzles working well enough pretty quickly if you already have some experience with 3D printers and filaments. ABS and PETG, however are a different story. I never got ABS working to my satisfaction (Prusa MK3S destroyed the results I got on the E2 with ABS) and PETG was enough of a hassle, that I just went back to 0.40. The main thing Raise needs DESPERATELY FIRST is a way to calibrate the printer with nozzles sizes other than 0.40 and filament other than PLA. It's unbelieveable they released it without this basic functionality at this price point.

Return to “E2”