E2 Camera Fix

Raise3D_User1
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am

E2 Camera Fix

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:14 am

So, the E2 has a pretty terrible camera. Out of the box it takes horrible video that is blown out like the gamma is way turned up. Mine was also blurry. After playing around, I still think it's a terrible camera, but now it actually looks okay. I sent this solution to support as well so their support staff can do more than recommend blocking leds to make it less light in the printing chamber (which doesn't really work).

The PROBLEM is the auto-iris of the camera is ON by default and it's adjusting to all the blacks in the box, blowing out the white LED light and oversaturating the picture.

1. The camera has auto-iris that is really poor quality. That’s why everything looks blown out. However, you can TRICK IT by placing a bright white piece of cardstock about 3-4” high and 6-8” wide on the thick behind the extruders. When you do this, the camera sees the bright white and irises down and everything on the bed suddenly looks GOOD – almost. Mine was still blurry. Which leads to...
2. The bezel on the lens is threaded for FOCUS! You can carefully LOOSEN the tiny lens to focus. Mine was on very tight, but that tightening put the lens ring past the point of ideal focus. By backing the lens ring off (loosening) about a 1 turn, I was able to get it fully focused and have a pretty sharp picture.

The camera is still poor quality, but these two workarounds put the output into at least acceptable range. If the auto-iris could be turned off in software, it would be the best solution and eliminate the need for the cardstock to trick the camera. However these two fixes still allow full LED lighting (I didn’t cover any of the LEDs that lit the chamber – that was an unacceptable solution) and end up giving good output. The only tricky part is mounting the cardstock piece that tricks the camera iris so it doesn’t interfere with the unit’s operation. I found a good way, but it may be a little different for everyone.

Here's a before and after comparison...
Raise3D_E2_cameratrick.jpg

Online
User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 7996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 18, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks for sharing this finding here!

User avatar
meelo88
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby meelo88 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:47 am

Hi all I tried these suggestions on my E2 and it has greatly made the camera better and clearer with less saturation.

If there was an upgrade to the resolution one day that would be great!
Printers: Raise3D E2 - MatterHackers Pulse (B Frame)

Blue21
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:04 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Blue21 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:49 pm

meelo88 wrote:Hi all I tried these suggestions on my E2 and it has greatly made the camera better and clearer with less saturation.

If there was an upgrade to the resolution one day that would be great!


Check also in the printer setup, mine was set by default to VGA 640x480 and there was a high resolution possible. Unfortunately I am fare from my printer and through the cloud I have not access to that setting. Without the change proposed in this post, it is hard to see a difference.
Attachments
2020-06-17 23.41.46.jpg
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

Blue21
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:04 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Blue21 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Raise3D_User1 wrote:...
1. The camera has auto-iris that is really poor quality. That’s why everything looks blown out. However, you can TRICK IT by placing a bright white piece of cardstock about 3-4” high and 6-8” wide on the thick behind the extruders. When you do this, the camera sees the bright white and irises down and everything on the bed suddenly looks GOOD – almost. Mine was still blurry. Which leads to...
2. The bezel on the lens is threaded for FOCUS! You can carefully LOOSEN the tiny lens to focus. Mine was on very tight, but that tightening put the lens ring past the point of ideal focus. By backing the lens ring off (loosening) about a 1 turn, I was able to get it fully focused and have a pretty sharp picture.
...


Hi, thanks for the advise, that helped.

1. Following your advise, I placed an almost 330x220mm white HIPS plastic sheet on the rear of the print and go it this way, yellow PLA is yellow and not white :D Probably later I will have to replace the basic tape by something more heat resistant.
2020-06-17 23.41.46.jpg


2. On mine, the objective seems to be glued, this is usual on such low cost camera and some hot air will do the job but I have to see if I need to protect all the surrounding or dismount the camera to do it. Quality can only improve with better focus.

Did you see that the resolution can be set in the configuration? On mine it was not set at the highest.
Seems there is a way to attach other USB camera but I didn't found a list of compatible camera, as it has improved a lot thanks to your post, it doesn't matter that much.
E2 + Prusa Mini <- UM 2+ <- Replicator2

Raise3D_User1
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:50 am

Blue21 wrote:
Raise3D_User1 wrote:...
1. The camera has auto-iris that is really poor quality. That’s why everything looks blown out. However, you can TRICK IT by placing a bright white piece of cardstock about 3-4” high and 6-8” wide on the thick behind the extruders. When you do this, the camera sees the bright white and irises down and everything on the bed suddenly looks GOOD – almost. Mine was still blurry. Which leads to...
2. The bezel on the lens is threaded for FOCUS! You can carefully LOOSEN the tiny lens to focus. Mine was on very tight, but that tightening put the lens ring past the point of ideal focus. By backing the lens ring off (loosening) about a 1 turn, I was able to get it fully focused and have a pretty sharp picture.
...


Hi, thanks for the advise, that helped.

1. Following your advise, I placed an almost 330x220mm white HIPS plastic sheet on the rear of the print and go it this way, yellow PLA is yellow and not white :D Probably later I will have to replace the basic tape by something more heat resistant.
2020-06-17 23.41.46.jpg


2. On mine, the objective seems to be glued, this is usual on such low cost camera and some hot air will do the job but I have to see if I need to protect all the surrounding or dismount the camera to do it. Quality can only improve with better focus.

Did you see that the resolution can be set in the configuration? On mine it was not set at the highest.
Seems there is a way to attach other USB camera but I didn't found a list of compatible camera, as it has improved a lot thanks to your post, it doesn't matter that much.


Yes, I changed the resolution to 800x600 first before I kept investigating because the video was still so blown out from the auto-iris. This camera clearly has an iris control, but Raise 3D has to give us access to it in the software touchscreen. Until then, white paper in the back to force Iris-down is the only workaround. Pretty lame given how expensive the printer is.

oldtimers
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby oldtimers » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:42 pm

hi
thanks a lot for this great idea from Raise3D_User1 :) :)

we set up the camera like you told , added white foil to the back wall and it’s much better.
we added the LED strip on the cover
now it is seen beautifully through the online

for better grip on the table you can use baby paper glue, and it is nicely washed with warm water, a great solution


many pleasures Oldtimers.si TEAM, Mec
Attachments
pritt-stick-stage.png
IMG_20201202_145840 (Large).jpg
IMG_20201202_145836 (Large).jpg
IMG_20201202_145852 (Large).jpg

oldtimers
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby oldtimers » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:10 am

Glue Pritt is easily removed with hot water :D

kse
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby kse » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Does someone know how the camera is attached to the mainboard? maybe via usb or csi port?

Raise3D_User1
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:16 am

I've almost never had adhesion issues with the E2 using PLA or PETG. The consistent temperature of the chamber seems to help prints stick. I also wipe the bed down with IPA after every cycle, so maybe that helps, too. I will have problems with the Prusa i3MK3S printers sometimes, but I think that's because they're open and subject to the temperature whims of the room.

I don't think the camera is connected with USB, I think it's a molex-type connector on the mainboard, but I haven't checked it. I'm just biding my time until RAISE gives us camera exposure control in the next release.

kse
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby kse » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:39 am

yes it is no usb socket, but its a 4 pin wiring, that smells like usb with an non usb socket.

oldtimers
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: E2 Platform Bed and Extruder temperature

Postby oldtimers » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:42 pm

the first layer of Platform Bed and Extruder you set a slightly higher temperature for better grip on the Bed, and then you reduce all the other layers so that they don't bend when cooled due to too high a temperature, this method works great for me
Attachments
E2 Platform temperature.JPG

Raise3D_User1
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:13 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Thanks for sharing this finding here!


It's been a while since the last software release. Is there any ETA on the next release that will give better control over the camera iris/gamma settings so we don't have to use the white card trick?

Online
User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 7996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:47 pm

We are planning to have it released in the next two versions.

Raise3D_User1
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:35 am

Is there an ETA for the next version? It's been 4 months. Will the next version also have realtime Z adjust while printing like PRUSAs have?

Now that I think about it, we really need a bug/request thread for the E2. There are so many convenience features it needs or are hard to access and/or bugs.

Niklas_1994
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:53 pm

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Niklas_1994 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:21 pm

Is there a timeline of when there should be the next updates for the E2? And also some info what they contain? In what period were the last updates released?

Online
User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 7996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Raise3D_User1 wrote:Is there an ETA for the next version? It's been 4 months. Will the next version also have realtime Z adjust while printing like PRUSAs have?

Now that I think about it, we really need a bug/request thread for the E2. There are so many convenience features it needs or are hard to access and/or bugs.


I have asked our developing team to confirm where this feature has been added into the developing list and they have confirmed it has been added onto the release plan around the 2nd Quarter this year.

Online
User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 7996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:04 am

Niklas_1994 wrote:Is there a timeline of when there should be the next updates for the E2? And also some info what they contain? In what period were the last updates released?


We are planning to release the next version around the end of June. But I don't have the full list of features to be added in this new version till close to the actual date.

Raise3D_User1
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:27 am

Why so long between versions when so many fixes are needed? Why not release updates quarterly with whatever can be finished each 90 days until the release is in better shape. I've said it many times, but the $800 PRUSA printers I have feature more updates and better firmware organization and functionality. Sure they don't have a fancy LCD, but they are very responsive with updates and polish and give similar and in some cases better results than the E2. The only practical advantage the E2 has is an enclosure and dual extruders. And with the Prusa M4 being released this year, that advantage may disappear - for $2500 less.

Engineer87
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:20 am

Re: E2 Camera Fix

Postby Engineer87 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:07 pm

I have the prusa mk3 and E2 in my lab at work. I like the prusa and would own 1 personally. but they are not in the same class of printer.
E2 is not perfect, but for a prosumer grade, its a value. With a few tweaks, its a workhorse.
E2 has
Robust enclosure with optional safety feature
Idex vs the PoC prusa multimaterial unit
Larger build volume
User interface
Cloud features
Growing Open filament program


Return to “E2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest