Filament Inconsistent and Stopping Through Extruder

Beaz

Filament Inconsistent and Stopping Through Extruder

Postby Beaz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:20 am

Hi all,

I have encountered an issue with the left extruder on the E2, I'm relatively new to the machine - not to 3D printing - and thus far it has been consistent. The problem began originally with a long print in ASA (Extruder Temp; I regularly put on prints upwards of 10 hours and check them the following morning, when I came in, I noticed that the filament had stopped coming through the nozzle. At first I thought that the filament had snapped or ran out because it's an issue I'm used to, but it was fine. I wondered if there was too much friction from a blockage in the filament guide tube but that seemed okay as well. I then decided to unload the filament and discovered that the filament gear had eaten through the filament, grinding away at it for what appeared to be a very long time - I assumed that the gears were still working. I tested the hot end, making sure it was reaching an adequate temp by melting filament on the face of the nozzle, that worked too. I figured perhaps there was a nozzle clog, so using some of the provided needles I forced filament through the assembly, and it worked okay for a couple of minutes before failing again. I then removed the extruder to check the gearing situation and cleaned away all the ground plastic. But still it fails.

The flow rate when loading filament seems slower and the bead of filament thinner. Simply put, I need some help. Any ideas or experience with a similar problem would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Beaz

ccclarke

Re: Filament Inconsistent and Stopping Through Extruder

Postby ccclarke » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:20 am

Potential heat creep issue. From your description, your issue sounds like the load path was never fully cleared. Make sure you blow all of the filament debris from the extruder’s hob gear.

The good news: Your extruder works as it should. When the filament jammed, the hob gear continued to do its job and slowly abraded through the filament.

Once you determine the cause of your feed path issue, you can increase your printer’s reliability by installing friction-reducing PTFE Bowden tubes. One really good mod for the E2 (besides Copperhead print heads) are low-cost, Capricorn Bowden tubes. I installed them on multiple Raise3D printers and they’re worth every penny.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

MO66

Postby MO66 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:02 am

Hallo zusammen, ich habe das gleiche Problem. Der E2 druckt ca. 20 Schichten und verstopf dann.
Ich hatte vorher PLA gedruckt und auf PETG gewechselt. Meine Vermutung ist, daß die PLA reste zu heis werden und dann Verbrennen
und daduch die Düse verstopfen. Habe das Hotend ( Heitzblock und Düse ) gesäubert.
Wie sind eure Erfahrungen? und was tut ihr dagegen? Kann mir Jemand einen Tip geben?

MO66

Postby MO66 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:15 am

Hallo zusammen, ich bin auch neu hier, und habe das gleiche Problem. Kann es an dem vorherigen Material mit niedriger Drucktemperatur liegen, das dann im Heizblock verbränd, und dadurch die Düse verstopft ? Wie sind Eure erfahrungen Beim Filamentwechsel mit unterschiedlichen Temperaturen ?

Return to “E2”