Scratched Y Rods

eXcelonPrime

Scratched Y Rods

Postby eXcelonPrime » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Anyone else had an issue with scratched/gouged Y-axis rods? Mine started showing damage almost immediately yet support basically shrugged it off and told me it wasn't an issue since the small text cube they had me print looked ok. Of course now the warranty period is past and the rods keep getting worse. I'm going to have to figure out what I need to replace everything, how to do it and eat the cost, so I was curious whether my experience was unique or not.
Attachments
Y-Axis Scratched Rod.jpeg

Jetguy

Re: Scratched Y Rods

Postby Jetguy » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:22 am

Not something to shrug off.
You have a failed linear recirculating bearing in the central cross block and the hardened steel balls are harder than the shaft surface so guess which one wins?

I had this exact failure on my N1.
Yes, far out of warranty, but wasn't terribly expensive.
Central crossing block and 2 rods.

Sure, in theory, you could buy just bearings and rods, but the way the central cross block is assembled is a royal pain in the posterior to replace those bearings, so far easier to just get a new preassembled central crossing block.

These are wear and tear items, and yes, ideally yours should have been an early warranty repair- I agree, but that may or may not matter now.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:26 am

Oops, realized this is posted in an E2 topic.
Either way, the cause and repair is the same. The rod failed because the bearing failed. Always replace as a matched set.

Allram

Postby Allram » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:18 am

Had the same thing happening on my E2, the left Y rod had scratches and the bearing was not in good shape. This happened a few months after i got the printer.

Got replacement parts on warranty from my Norwegian supplier :)
But Raise3D did not have those parts in their stock, so it took almost 2months to get the parts.

eXcelonPrime

Postby eXcelonPrime » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:42 am

Allram wrote:Had the same thing happening on my E2, the left Y rod had scratches and the bearing was not in good shape. This happened a few months after i got the printer.

Got replacement parts on warranty from my Norwegian supplier :)
But Raise3D did not have those parts in their stock, so it took almost 2months to get the parts.

Mine is worse on the left as well and also started shortly after I got it. I should have pushed support harder when I had the chance. This is definitely from defective hardware.
Glad to hear you got yours fixed though!

eXcelonPrime

Postby eXcelonPrime » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:43 am

Jetguy wrote:Oops, realized this is posted in an E2 topic.
Either way, the cause and repair is the same. The rod failed because the bearing failed. Always replace as a matched set.

You’re right, I completely agree!

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:42 am

eXcelonPrime wrote:
Jetguy wrote:Oops, realized this is posted in an E2 topic.

You’re right, I completely agree!

Would you be able to provide the ticket number from when you were speaking to our support staff?

eXcelonPrime

Postby eXcelonPrime » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:18 am

Hi Steven, thanks for the follow up.
I actually have two tickets now, one when I first noticed the issue and the other from just a few weeks ago. They are: 197109 and 204234.

Support did ship replacement hardware though which should arrive tomorrow. (Shout out to Stephen S. for all his help!)

eXcelonPrime

Postby eXcelonPrime » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:13 am

Just wanted to follow up on this to let everyone know I found an issue with the Y axis pillow blocks and how they're designed/assembled and say if you're an E2 owner you might want to keep an eye out for this on your machine as well. Short and to the point, inside the blocks there are two LM8UU bearings separated by a spacer that isn't sized correctly. That means the spacer literally rests on the smooth rod while the bed is moving. It might be easier to see in the pictures I've included. Lastly one other thing I noted is that the potential for any E2 to have this problem is probably pretty high. Especially considering the replacement parts I was sent had the exact same issue (one rod was scratched worse that my own!).

I honestly hope no one else has this issue though, but I thought it was worth making everyone aware.

Thanks guys!
Attachments
PillowBlock_Rod_Spacer.jpeg
Received_Rod.jpeg
Rod_Spacer.jpeg
Spacer.jpeg
PillowBlock_Spacer.jpeg

Return to “E2”