Changing Out Your Buildtak

KTLBuild

Changing Out Your Buildtak

Postby KTLBuild » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 am

Has anyone changed out the original Buildtak surface on your E2? I purchased the Buildtak here:

...and still have the plastic red tab (that goes at the front of the print bed), which I can bring over to the new Buildtak sheet. I think Im just curious how one actually removes the original printing surface. It looks really bonded onto the metal plate. Curious if anyone had any tips on how to take the old Buildtak off properly.

This tutorial gives general cleaning tips: https://support.raise3d.com/E2/how-to-c ... -1002.html

Steven@Raise3D

Re: Changing Out Your Buildtak

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:19 am

KTLBuild wrote:Has anyone changed out the original Buildtak surface on your E2? I purchased the Buildtak here:

...and still have the plastic red tab (that goes at the front of the print bed), which I can bring over to the new Buildtak sheet. I think Im just curious how one actually removes the original printing surface. It looks really bonded onto the metal plate. Curious if anyone had any tips on how to take the old Buildtak off properly.

This tutorial gives general cleaning tips: https://support.raise3d.com/E2/how-to-c ... -1002.html

The BuildTak sheet should peel off of the plate relatively easily. You should be able to start to peel a corner of the sheet then peel the rest of the sheet apart.

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:37 pm

BuildTak releases easier when it's warm and more pliable. Warm the bed to 60 and remove the plate. Peel back a corner, and then begin pulling upwards to get a larger section lifting.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Raise3D_User1

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:54 am

KTLBuild wrote:Has anyone changed out the original Buildtak surface on your E2? I purchased the Buildtak here:

Yeah, I heat it up and start from the corner. Once you get a grip it gets much easier. You can use the spatula that came with the E2 to get that corner started once the plate is warmed up.

That said, Raise really needs to abandon the Buildtak nonsense and offer coated spring steel plates like PRUSA has. They work great and are WAY CHEAPER TO OPERATE since they don't really wear out. I have yet to replace even ONE on the PRUSA machines. I've replaced a bunch of Buildtak surfaces on my E2 machines.

KTLBuild

Postby KTLBuild » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:17 pm

Thanks for the additional tip @raise3D_User1. I was able to get it off with the help of the heat and a roomate's more useful thumbnail. I probably babied the sheet off. The Raise3D factory staff really stuck those first BuildTak's on there.

Return to “E2”