PLA Print gets knocked off bed?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
dch

PLA Print gets knocked off bed?

Postby dch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:37 pm

I am printing with two colors. Left extruder is R3D Premium Black PLA. Right is eSun Cool White PLA Pro. I started a 2 model 6 hour print last night and when I woke up, one of the models were knocked off the print bed. Both models failed printing and there was lots of stringing. What could be the problem? I remember hearing scratching when the raft was printing. Is it possible that one of the nozzles "hit" the model and dislodged it? I am printing both extruders are default settings, but the heated bed is set to 60C.

Rockman

Re: PLA Print gets knocked off bed?

Postby Rockman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:15 pm

High probability that is what happened.
You should make sure you set the height of both nozzles correctly and ran the calibration test for the dual extruders .... Support team can give you the instructions .. Just mentioning that.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Yes, please check whether your two nozzles are at the same height.
Please use left nozzle as set height to adjust the Z limit screw at the front side. Use a 0.2mm feeler gauge or two pieces of A4 paper or a useless name card to check the nozzle height.
Then adjust the height of right nozzle based on left nozzle.

Note: There are two screws needed to be loosen. One is the front cap screw. The other one is behind the throat cooling fan. You need to remove the fan and fan duct first. Then you can see a grub screw there.

dch

Postby dch » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:55 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Yes, please check whether your two nozzles are at the same height.
Please use left nozzle as set height to adjust the Z limit screw at the front side. Use a 0.2mm feeler gauge or two pieces of A4 paper or a useless name card to check the nozzle height.
Then adjust the height of right nozzle based on left nozzle.

Note: There are two screws needed to be loosen. One is the front cap screw. The other one is behind the throat cooling fan. You need to remove the fan and fan duct first. Then you can see a grub screw there.

Does filament need to be unloaded first?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Yes. You need to unload the filament first. Or the hotend will be hard to move.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm

Also, heat up empty hotend and wipe all the snot off that drips out of the hotend - I like to leave it at 250C for atleast 15 min to let it all drip out before a final wipe and cooldown. Even a tiny drip out of the nozzle must be removed before leveling.

Head strike -> if printing in PLA you really must insulate the hotends

dch

Postby dch » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 pm

walshlg wrote:Also, heat up empty hotend and wipe all the snot off that drips out of the hotend - I like to leave it at 250C for atleast 15 min to let it all drip out before a final wipe and cooldown. Even a tiny drip out of the nozzle must be removed before leveling.

Head strike -> if printing in PLA you really must insulate the hotends

How do I insulate hotend?

Is there any other reason for PLA prints to be knocked off the bed other than by the hotend head? I reseated both hotends so they were level and have no heard any scratching during flat raft prints (I heard scratching before leveling the hotends). I'm fairly certain the hotends are not knocking the prints off.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:12 pm

PLA curls UP on slanted edges from the heat of the overhead hot things like hotend and the other extruder. It gets especially bad when dual head printing. Search this forum for advice on insulating the hotend, there are likely some youtube vids but most of them use pre-cut insulation, quite a waste of money IMHO

Return to “General”