0.8mm Nozzle- settings?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Rockman

0.8mm Nozzle- settings?

Postby Rockman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Hello.

My current settings for 0.4mm nozzle are:
Here are my settings:
PETG from Filaments.ca
210 temp
60 print speed
80 bed temp
1.2 retract material amount.

How do I tweak the above settings if I were to use a 0.8 nozzle ?

Thanks.

Jetguy

Re: 0.8mm Nozzle- settings?

Postby Jetguy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:26 pm

"How do I tweak the above settings if I were to use a 0.8 nozzle ?"
Answer, you don't tweak any of those specific settings.

You change the nozzle size to 0.8mm
Attachments
printer settings.jpg
printer settings2.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Note, the larger the nozzle, the more chance of oozing filament. Changing retract values may not help prevent the ooze. It is a function of the extruder temp and material properties of the filament that determines how much it oozes with larger nozzles.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Now unrelated to running a larger nozzle size, in my experience running 210C on PETG is not going to bond layers well. While you don't need 250C to extrude PETG, the problem is, extruding is not 3D printing. 3D printing is both extruding the material, and having enough heat in the filament to create a strong bond to the previous layer, but not so much heat to burn or damage the filament, and also the plastic has to solidify shortly after the nozzle or else the layer will deform. Different plastics have totally different aspects to that function. For example, PLA gets soft before it melts, and stays soft for a long time after it cools. PLA retains a lot of heat. As such, this is why PLA without a lot of additional additives (in other words, not the 215C rated Raise 3D premium PLA which is a blend) requires temps as low as 195C. In the same way, PETG plastic doesn't have a problem extruding at lower temps, but to get maximum layer bond strength, even the manufacturer recommends hotter temps than what you are running. The offset is, with PETG, you offset strength to reduce strings/ooze. In other words, 210C might not ooze as bad, but the parts are likely to crack/split with any stress at layers. Increasing to 250C will improve the strength, but might also increase ooze/stringing and will be worse on a larger nozzle. But truth is, with a big fat 0.8mm nozzle, you are going to need more heat than 210C to get a decent layer bond on PETG in all of my experience. You have to find that balance or accept that strings are going to be inevitable with that larger size nozzle. You could retract the filament right out of the extruder and due to the nature of the plastic, it's still going to ooze.

As a rule follow the filament manufacturer/reseller online guides https://filaments.ca/collections/1-75mm ... 1955714628
Printing temp listed is 230°C - 260°C
"To get the optimal temperature; start from 230°C and continue to raise the temperature until the printers starts browning the print regularly, from that point, drop the temperature by a couple of degrees and you're set"

I would not generally say go that far (to the point of browning) but certainly, 250C is not unheard of with most PETG in the dozen or so 3D printing forums I'm in.

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Ive run through many many rolls of Filaments.ca PETG and I find for transparent PETG my optimum temp was 220c and around 230c for black PETG. Bed at 80, speed between 50-60. I also use the 0.8mm nozzle and temps there are 235c.

Rockman

Postby Rockman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:18 pm

You guys are awesome - kind thank you for the replies and suggestions.

Return to “General”