Calibration PRO 2

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Axel

Calibration PRO 2

Postby Axel » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm thinking about buying a PRO 2.
I could see an N2 up close.
The calibration of the platform of this model seems to be difficult and very long in comparison with the calibration of a Witbox for example (a lot of screws to adjust on the plateau of the N2 !) :cry:

How is the calibration done on the PRO 2 ?
Does the PRO 2 have an automatic calibration ?
Should we repeat this calibration regularly ?

claytony565

Re: Calibration PRO 2

Postby claytony565 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:00 pm

Bed leveling is pretty much the same, I think there are a few less points of contact and some of the bolts seem to be more secure. The bed plate is removable though so that is nice. And they do ship the Pro2 models with a calibration print on the plate which is actually pretty reassuring. Have been printing on the Pro2 for 4 weeks straight now and have had no problems related to bed leveling and Raise3D claims it will not have to be re leveled given normal circumstances.
Attachments
IMG_0696.JPG

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:21 am

Compared with N series, the leveling system of Pro2 series printer has been completely upgraded.
The stiffness of material used for heated bed on N series requires 13 different calibration points to ensure its flatness.
Now, in the Pro2 series, the stiffness of the material used for the new heated bed is higher, so the calibration is possible with only 4 points. The other 9 points are only there for fixing.

And once you get the levelness, it can hold for at least several weeks or even months.

Axel

Postby Axel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:48 am

With a lot of delay, thanks for the answer
But one more question :

In another topic (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8452) you say :

"You need to double check the distance between nozzle and build surface before printing (especially first time after long-way shipping) which has been mentioned in Quick Starter Guide."

Indeed, in the quick start guide of PRO2, page 16, the same thing is said.
it is also said "the best condition of this is that you can feel a little friction when you slide the feeler gauge into the gap"
But if that's not the case, how do we do it ?

Page16 also, it is said "the distance between the noodle and the printing platform can be adjusted by turning the thumb screw on the left of the Z-plate

By turning the screw, the tray goes up or down directly, depending on the direction of rotation ?
It's not clear in the guide !

Or do we have to start the whole procedure again after turning the screw ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 am

You need to check the distance between nozzle tip and build surface before first time use because of long-way shipping.
That screw is used to trigger Z end-stop switch to let the board know, now the bed is at the Z0 height, when the screw reaches to the same height of the end-stop switch during homing.

Setting that screw higher will increase the distance between nozzle tip and build surface, as the bed will stop earlier to trigger the end-stop switch.
Setting that screw lower will decrease the distance between nozzle tip and build surface, as the bed will move upward more during homing.

b_kobei

Postby b_kobei » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:31 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Compared with N series, the leveling system of Pro2 series printer has been completely upgraded.
The stiffness of material used for heated bed on N series requires 13 different calibration points to ensure its flatness.
Now, in the Pro2 series, the stiffness of the material used for the new heated bed is higher, so the calibration is possible with only 4 points. The other 9 points are only there for fixing.

And once you get the levelness, it can hold for at least several weeks or even months.

Vicky,

When you say it can "hold for at least several weeks or months, could you be more specific:

1. By levelness, are you implying that the bed will go out of "level" over time? By level here, I mean the bed's trueness/tramming relative to the extruder's XY plane of motion.
2. If the answer to comment 1 is yes, what is the mechanism that causes the bed to lose its level?
3. Does the Z offset also need to be reset from time to time? If so, how long would you expect Z offset to remain good?

Thanks for the help in advance!

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:39 pm

I might be able to weigh in here. I've had my Pro2+ for coming up on 3/4 of a year, and the bed itself is not out of level on an X-Y plane. It does however shift ever so slightly along the Z- height, as the mechanism for that is a screw which slots between an optical beam to determine where to stop lifting the bed towards the nozzle. I've had to finely adjust that screw every so often, but that's more to do with switching out nozzle sizes (1.0mm extrusion width vs 0.4mm) as well as material extruded (PolySupport expands a bit more at the extrusion point than PLA for example). I've been printing PLA parts for almost a month straight now since my last screw adjustment, and we're still going strong here.

That said, I have seen the odd post in here about the bed level in the x-y plane going out, but those seem to be more frequent for earlier models. Also keep in mind, if people aren't having problems, they aren't going to visit the forums, so you won't get a full representation in here!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:02 pm

I can't really guarantee a specific time, because it really depends a lot on the previous condition of the bed. Based on our own using experience, not a lot Pro2 in the office, but at least 20 running, we really barely do bed leveling. And we didn't see a lot customers reached to us to ask for a second bed leveling guide after the first bed leveling.
Comparing on the change of Z offset screw, you will change nozzle or hotend or build surface more frequently. Once you reinstall the hotend, the Z offset changes, you need to calibrate again.

Return to “General”