LEFT NOZZLE STRIKE !

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Rockman

LEFT NOZZLE STRIKE !

Postby Rockman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi Raisers,

I have already opened a service ticket on this and thought asking the forum for some advice as well....

Started awesome with this printer now having some issues :(

I have tried numerous prints lately and the left nozzle is striking the print. It starts off good, but when it gets to about 1cm tall, the left nozzle strikes the print. The attached pics are with R3D filament to rule out its the filaments fault.

The prints appear to be stick well to the print bed with no warping.

I have not touched or replaced the stock nozzles since I bought it.

As I write this, I am printing one of those mini marvins as another test.

Any ideas what might be causing this ???

I dont know what to do.....
Attachments
20160909_122346.jpg
20160909_122223.jpg

walshlg

Re: LEFT NOZZLE STRIKE !

Postby walshlg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:34 pm

most of the time this happens on a thin edge - it isn't cooling enough between passes and heated PLA tends to curl UP. Usual fix is to insulate the hot block. Also check bottom for lifting of one side from build plate.

Rockman

Postby Rockman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Hmm.
Would slowing down the print speed also help when printing thin walls ?

Looks like Marvin printed good.

Trying one more test print now.

Then I will try another thin wall print but slowing down the print speed to half.
20160909_155608.jpg

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:31 pm

the irony is that slow speed can make this worse in some cases and better in others. One thing that helps is double the number of models - that means more time between hot passes.

Matthew Lozano

Postby Matthew Lozano » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:55 am

Are you sure this is a nozzle strike? If the nozzle struck a edge and lost position you would see the hairy mess both inside and outside of the box's, I only see it on the inside, almost like you printed in the air without any support. Did you inspect the Gcode before printing? This could be a geometry error in the model that is causing it to print in space.

Also FYI It looks like you are under extruding a great deal judging by the gaps in the infill and the vertical wall.

Rockman

Postby Rockman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:29 am

Thanks for the replies.

I think the clue here was from Matthew - underextrusion
This led me to take a closer look at my hotend/throattube/nozzle. Earlier in the week I started using a wood filament. Things started going down hill from there. Suffered mutiple clogging, prints would only print up to 1cm before failing....etc...Even though I tried to unclog it, it seems the wood particles slowly started to buildup to create a nasty clog which led me to remove the hot end.....I am waiting for a replacement to test my theory.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Remove the clogged nozzle. Take a propane torch and burn out the nozzle - you can get it red hot in about 5 minutes. Then make sure to try and scrape any ash out of the inside and it should be good as new. Wood fill does this at times no matter what you do.

Rockman

Postby Rockman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 am

Will do....thanks for advice....but will wlso use a bigger nozzle next time instead of 0.4...perhaps 0.8 will help minimize clogs.

Will replace hotend with new one anyways but will fire up propane torch and clean out the old one

Return to “General”