Has anyone used ESUN PETG?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
walshlg

Re: Has anyone used ESUN PETG?

Postby walshlg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:51 pm

FWIW, my thermocouple was loose in its can, I didn't figure this out until I pulled on wire and the black epoxy (?) seal disintegrated. Put it back in with high temp rtv silicone seal.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:58 am

My 2 cents on printing with PETG. I'm printing rather small parts -- less than 1/2" by 0.167" tall and I was having trouble getting good stick on the BuildTak and the Zebra plates. So I used glass and a glue stick and that barely gave me the stick -- even at 90C. Elmers glue was better, but still not good enough. What's really working well for me is Kapton tape on pain glass at 90C with a print temp of 260C. The parts stick perfectly and come off with a little force up. They come right off with very little force once the plate cools.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

AR_LA

Postby AR_LA » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:32 am

I was having similar troubles with XT, you may want to try glue stick at a lower temp, I'm getting best results around 45C. Success on both glass and the buildtak.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks AR_LA. I will try a lower temp. Right now I am getting near flawless prints though so I'm not to anxious to change things<g>.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

AR_LA

Postby AR_LA » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:21 pm

It's hard to argue with results especially when each go takes hours or days.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:51 pm

Just curious how people are doing with eSun PETG! I have printed through about 3 full rolls and about 5 half rolls in the past few months. I've printed two GROOT in petg, one red, one blue, and had no issues, at all. Both prints 9-10 hours. PETG is definitely stringy, and depending on the print it can be pretty bad. I've tried multiple retraction settings and never eliminated it completely. I've tried faster and i've tried slower, i've tried more retraction and less -

i have a few profiles i always use that work 99% of the time, with a little clean up of strings.

In general my IM settings are:

248 / 88 on glass w hairspray
0.2 layer with 0.16 1st layer
50mm/s on print speed, inner shell and outer shell
x/y axis movement 70 mm/s
Z axist speed 50mms
infill 50mms, top and bottom layers (5 or 6) at 40mm/s
retract speed 50mms
retract material amnt 1.4mm (i've gone up to 2.5mm)
Min travel of retract 0.7
min amount of retract 0.06 (and changing these last two really hasnt helped me, wish i know how to use them better)

I have a dual extruder so there's no part fan, just the fan for the heating block.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:27 pm

You might try retraction of 2.00 at 30mm/s. Also, are you cooling? I run both fans at 100% for eSun PETG translucent, but keep printing temps high at 260 and bed at 80. Using kapton on glass. The fan for the heating block is also the fan for the part. Raise3D designed that plastic duct to do both.
- John

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:02 am

JohnSays wrote:You might try retraction of 2.00 at 30mm/s. Also, are you cooling? I run both fans at 100% for eSun PETG translucent, but keep printing temps high at 260 and bed at 80. Using kapton on glass. The fan for the heating block is also the fan for the part. Raise3D designed that plastic duct to do both.

yes the fan for the block is always on, so yes, it's cooling. I would assume a part fan, using the variable speed control, would offer better cooling. I print at 248/88

Return to “General”