Has anyone used ESUN PETG?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
dch

Has anyone used ESUN PETG?

Postby dch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:24 am

Can you share your settings?

socke

Re: Has anyone used ESUN PETG?

Postby socke » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30 am

I'm using it just right now. What color do you have, I mean opaque or translucent?
I can't give you IM settings, I'm using S3D right now. However I could give some hints ...

socke

Postby socke » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:57 am

I found that speed is the most critical setting here. While I'm printing up to 40 mm/s with the translucent colors, I don't go much above 20 mm/s with the opaque colors.
If nozzle temperature is too high you get more stringing and also some blobs. I'm printing it usually on Kapton at 90°C.

dch

Postby dch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:06 pm

socke wrote:I'm using it just right now. What color do you have, I mean opaque or translucent?
I can't give you IM settings, I'm using S3D right now. However I could give some hints ...

I'm using S3D as well! I have the black one from Amazon. If you could share your settings that'd be amazing! My first print went well but had stringing and small errors.

socke

Postby socke » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:23 pm

Here it is...
Attachments
eSun PETG opaque 20mm_Calibration_Box.7z
(4 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

dch

Postby dch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:19 pm

socke wrote:Here it is...

Is the PETG loaded in your right extruder?

socke

Postby socke » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:05 pm

No, it should be in the left side.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:04 am

I have been printing with eSun PETG for the past week. I am using the following colors, all with the same settings
1. Crystal Blue
2. Solid Black
3. Solid White

Settings are that standard "Filament settings" for PETG which is a 95% flowrate - critical in my opinion!
Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 5.46.25 PM.png

Extruder is 240 degrees (left)
Bed is 95 degrees
Layer height: 0.2mm
default speed: 50mms
Innser Shell speed 40mms
x/y axis 100mms
Outer shell speed 25mms
zaxis speed 30mms

first layer height 0.16mm
first layer speed 15mms

infill speed 60mms

bottom and top solid fill speed 60mmns

never a raft, for support i use 50mms and 15% infill - seems to separate nicely

Ive customized my Cooling a bit for the fan

layer Speed
1 0
2 10
3 10
4 20
6 40
8 60

And my prints sort of come out awesome... the black and white are eSun PETG, so is the dark blue. the two lighter blue are MakerGeeks PETG, and the darker yellow is MakerGeeks PETG. The Neon Yellow is Sainsmart TPU

COLORWHEEL - 1.jpg

socke

Postby socke » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:21 am

Looks really nice!
But I'm wondering, didn't you see any differences between the opaque and translucent colors?
I just realize that the difference between your and mine results could be, that I didn't have an additional fan in my first experiments. For a few days I have one, so it seems I have to just use it ;-)
Btw. what nozzle type did you use - V2 brass or V2H?

dch

Postby dch » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:15 am

NewbPilot wrote:I have been printing with eSun PETG for the past week. I am using the following colors, all with the same settings
1. Crystal Blue
2. Solid Black
3. Solid White

Settings are that standard "Filament settings" for PETG which is a 95% flowrate - critical in my opinion!

Bed is 95 degrees
Innser Shell speed 40mms
x/y axis 100mms
Outer shell speed 25mms
zaxis speed 30mms

first layer speed 15mms

infill speed 60mms

layer Speed
1 0
2 10
3 10
4 20
6 40
8 60

And my prints sort of come out awesome... the black and white are eSun PETG, so is the dark blue. the two lighter blue are MakerGeeks PETG, and the darker yellow is MakerGeeks PETG. The Neon Yellow is Sainsmart TPU

COLORWHEEL - 1.jpg

Have you been getting jams or anything? I just tried an 8 hour print with 250C and it failed at the very end... The filament must have jammed or something because the top layers did not extrude. I am gonna try a print with 240C. Is the "layer Speed" for fan?

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:13 pm

dch wrote:
NewbPilot wrote:I have been printing with eSun PETG for the past week. I am using the following colors, all with the same settings
1. Crystal Blue
2. Solid Black
3. Solid White

Bed is 95 degrees
Innser Shell speed 40mms
x/y axis 100mms
Outer shell speed 25mms
zaxis speed 30mms

first layer speed 15mms

infill speed 60mms

layer Speed
1 0
2 10
3 10
4 20
6 40
8 60

COLORWHEEL - 1.jpg

Have you been getting jams or anything? I just tried an 8 hour print with 250C and it failed at the very end... The filament must have jammed or something because the top layers did not extrude. I am gonna try a print with 240C. Is the "layer Speed" for fan?

My longest print has only been 3.5 hours - so I cant talk about 8 hour print.

the Layer / Speed setting is customized fan, yes. So layer one fan is 0%, layer two, fan is 10%, etc.

the key is really flow-rate. Make sure you filament setting is PETG and the flow is 95% .. if that is too much, try 90% .. i had someone tell me they take PETG down to 88% .. but i havent had to go that low ... also, what is your print speed? 50mms may be too much, and you may want to try slower.

dch

Postby dch » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:04 am

NewbPilot wrote:
dch wrote:
1. Crystal Blue
2. Solid Black
3. Solid White

Bed is 95 degrees
Innser Shell speed 40mms
x/y axis 100mms
Outer shell speed 25mms
zaxis speed 30mms

first layer speed 15mms

infill speed 60mms

layer Speed
1 0
2 10
3 10
4 20
6 40
8 60

COLORWHEEL - 1.jpg

My longest print has only been 3.5 hours - so I cant talk about 8 hour print.

the Layer / Speed setting is customized fan, yes. So layer one fan is 0%, layer two, fan is 10%, etc.

the key is really flow-rate. Make sure you filament setting is PETG and the flow is 95% .. if that is too much, try 90% .. i had someone tell me they take PETG down to 88% .. but i havent had to go that low ... also, what is your print speed? 50mms may be too much, and you may want to try slower.

Do you get any issues with stringing? Also, what infill % did you use?

Just had another 8 hour print fail. The problem is that towards the end of the print, no more plastic is being extruded. Is this a software related issue (temperature, fan, etc) or could the filament be incorrectly wrapped or something (too tight, stuck, etc)?

IdaPrint

Postby IdaPrint » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:52 am

Just had another 8 hour print fail. The problem is that towards the end of the print, no more plastic is being extruded. Is this a software related issue (temperature, fan, etc) or could the filament be incorrectly wrapped or something (too tight, stuck, etc)?

Check your PETG filament diameter in several places, maybe you have a bad roll. I've had similar issues on a Robo3D that I couldn't figure out, then found that I had a bad spool of PETG with a 2mm thickness in some spots. The company replaced it free of charge, they had a batch go out that accidentally skipped QC.

I also find that my PETG prints are best when I have the least amount of tension on the spool, thus I mount the spool directly above the printer.

dch

Postby dch » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:46 am

IdaPrint wrote:

Check your PETG filament diameter in several places, maybe you have a bad roll. I've had similar issues on a Robo3D that I couldn't figure out, then found that I had a bad spool of PETG with a 2mm thickness in some spots. The company replaced it free of charge, they had a batch go out that accidentally skipped QC.

I also find that my PETG prints are best when I have the least amount of tension on the spool, thus I mount the spool directly above the printer.

Can you post a picture of your setup?

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:47 pm

dch wrote:
NewbPilot wrote:the key is really flow-rate. Make sure you filament setting is PETG and the flow is 95% .. if that is too much, try 90% .. i had someone tell me they take PETG down to 88% .. but i havent had to go that low ... also, what is your print speed? 50mms may be too much, and you may want to try slower.

Do you get any issues with stringing? Also, what infill % did you use?

I dont get much stringing - a little, but not a lot. retraction with PETG is touchy, some people say faster (30mms) some say slower (20mms) i was doing 30mms .. i know that i was doing distance if 0.9mm on my other printer, and about 1mm on this one.

I am doing a 24% infill almost always.

IdaPrint

Postby IdaPrint » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:58 pm

Have you checked your filament diameter (thickness) in several places? What were your results?

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Dont forget PETG is sensitive to moisture and will draw it out of the air.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm having a problem with eSun PETG translucent where the print on the bottom 20 or so layers is not holding together, but the layers for the other 375 layers of the print are virtually perfect. Using BuildTak and set heater to 90C. I wait for the bed to heat up about 15 minutes. Printing at 260C, 0.4 mm nozzle (brass), 0.10 mm thickness, max speed is 80 mm/sec, outline at 80%, first layer at 50% and 125% width. fan duct is blocked, retract 1.5 mm. I've also printed with max speed at 60 mm/sec with exact same result. Each item has very weak bonding on first approximately 20 layers.

I tried increasing the plate temperature to 100C, but that just made the bottom of the print soft and the layers were still not bonding. I think the clue is in asking why the top layers are so perfect and the bottom is junk. The biggest change is in the distance from the heat of the build plate. Is it possible I've just got it too hot? Or, is the plate sucking the heat from the filament too fast. Idea! I'm going to try a raft.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:07 am

Perhaps its too hot. The first 5 layers or so are significantly hotter than the rest of the print as it takes that long to equilabrate the head temperature of heat loss with extruded filament to heat gained from heater clycling. FWIW i sometimes find that "load"ing an extruded meter can sometimes result in a better print.

Did you try the temperature test? My MatterHacker Translucents all go to crap above 240C. Also consider going slower, I always default to 20 mm/sec when having problems.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:16 pm

I lowered temperature to 245 and max speed to 50 and got a better print -- good layer sticking. However, that just about doubled printing time to 4 1/2 hours. I need to make at least 4 a day. I'm printing a very thin spiral inside a one-one-half inch hollow cylinder -- ID = 1 1/2 in and height = 1 1/2 in. The bridge is about 3/4 inch. I would rather use eSun ABS+, but the part will be in running water it's entire existence. As far as I know, only PETG will stand up to the water and pressure.

Also, today I discovered a setting in S3D to help with bridging (on the Advanced tab). This may make for a smoother spiral than I am getting right now.

Something is wrong with my printer as the hot end cools and then heats up again. Thus ruining each print. I'm going to post a separate thread to ask for help about this.

Edit Jan 25 2017: The printer problem is resolved thanks to JetGuy's help. I had a short of the fan wire to the heater block metal shielding.
Last edited by JohnSays on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Return to “General”