Humidity in Florida and filament storage

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
JohnSays

Humidity in Florida and filament storage

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:33 am

I live in a fairly humid environment. Often the RH (relative humidity) will reach 80 and above with temperatures of over 90F. When I found out about the negative effect of humidity on filament, I made a dryer with a small fan heater and a large plastic box that I ran two 1/2" PVC pipes through the sides to hang up to 6 rolls of filament. I then dried them at about an average of 80C until the heater died. Then I put the filament in vacuum sealed bags.

So this is the interesting bit - I hope. I found that Waring 2 gal resealable vacuum bags will hold a Raise3D size spool and the 1 gal bags will hold the smaller spools like Hatchbox or Taulman. I put in some indicating silica and then vacuumed sealed using the Waring Pro vacuum sealer. However, I tried using a regular vacuum and that worked really well and fast. I don't know that I need to vacuum seal but I had it available so used it. I find it easy to find my filament because the bags are transparent.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Zettlinger

Re: Humidity in Florida and filament storage

Postby Zettlinger » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi John, Netherlands here and also a very high humidity most of the time (sea climate)

i store my left over rolls in this kind of solution:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:743280

Only thing i added were the clips to close the samla box and i added a layer of silica gel at the bottom (the color changing one orange > green )

tbh so far i had no problem leaving the Raise3D pla in the printer for even a week to finish them off. I only store when i switch filament the one i use stays in the printer (until i notice problems ofc)

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:49 pm

I have even seen ppl adding the fittings like we have on the raise3d printer so they can print straight from that box, i have not done that yet (since it would require some sort of setup above the printer to place the box to feed it)

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks Zettlinger. I did not see this solution but I saw other box solutions that also fed filament. I felt that I needed something right now and really easy to get to. The box requires pulling out the rolls you won't need to get to the roll you do need doesn't it? With my bag solution I can store spools on shelves, desktop, or anywhere I want really and get to the exact spool I want . I guess I'll see if it is a pita in the long run though.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:21 pm

Just opened a brand new spool of polymaker natural pla, it came vacuum sealed. It was bad, brittle as old spaghetti and measured up to 1.84mm wide in spots! I'm not sure vacuum sealing is enough does the bag let water vapor through faster than nitrogen?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:53 am

walshlg wrote:Just opened a brand new spool of polymaker natural pla, it came vacuum sealed. It was bad, brittle as old spaghetti and measured up to 1.84mm wide in spots! I'm not sure vacuum sealing is enough does the bag let water vapor through faster than nitrogen?

Where did you get this filament?

Return to “General”