Is it recommended to put the filament back to the sealed bag after each use?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
newraiseuser

Is it recommended to put the filament back to the sealed bag after each use?

Postby newraiseuser » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:55 am

Hello, I used to use a Stratasys's uPrint SE Plus printer. The manufacturer recommended putting both normal filament and the support filament back to the sealed bags at the end of each use in order to preserve the materials to maintain the quality. How about the N2/N2+? Is it recommended to do the same?

FreedomRules

Re: Is it recommended to put the filament back to the sealed bag after each use?

Postby FreedomRules » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:21 am

The recommendation isn't based upon the printer manufacturers. Its to do with different types of material can absorb moisture and it negatively affects print quality. PLA support material is really bad about absorbing moisture. From what I've read its recommended to buy PLA in small batches as well. I myself recently got started in 3D printing. I'm using a ziplock bag until I can buy some airtight storage containers. If I was a rich man I'd buy some of the 3D filament containers. Instead I'll likely buy some ammo storage containers as they are way cheaper. I'm sure there are even cheaper solutions then again I'm good with having extra ammo cans around.

kencfii

Re: Is it recommended to put the filament back to the sealed bag after each use?

Postby kencfii » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Hello,
I have many different filaments and have been printing for several years.
Once you open the sealed bag that the filament comes in - it is best to store it in a dry location (as dry as possible) when you are not actually using it.

The time it takes before it becomes not usable varies greatly with the filament - environment etc....

So just do your best to keep it dry...

I bought myself a plastic dog food bin with wheels on it (I use the 69 qt one) these food bins have a tight sealing lid with a rubber seal - so they seal about as good as you are gonna get without speeding a fortune on some AIR TIGHT box... in that box - I put one of the EVA-DRY dehumidifiers ($24 or so) - and I also put in a humidity indicator

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry ... ds=eva+dry

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8/re ... 0117545360

It works great and I live in Florida! - It keeps the humidity in that bin between 25-35% or so (sometimes a bit higher if I neglect to check)...... I just check the humidity every week or so and recharge the EVA-DRY when I need to... Its so easy and works well - I have even stored filaments for many many months in it and then use it no problem....

There are many threads and opinions on the optimum humidity - etc...

This works great for me...

Print on!

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:46 pm

kencfii wrote:The time it takes before it becomes not usable varies greatly with the filament - environment etc....

Thanks for the info. How do we know whether the filament is usable or not?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 am

How do we know whether the filament is usable or not?

First clue, when it snaps from unrolling off the spool. This is often seen in PLA because PLA is a crystalline structure and it's made warm and coiled on the spool. When fresh, PLA will bend off the spool with no cracking or snapping. For whatever reason, opened spools exposed to air over time can become brittle. Again, this is an blatantly obvious- you'll know before you even finish loading filament because you will be holding a broken piece of filament before you ever got it loaded. Or it will snap shortly after the print starts and you'll have that angry moment when you realize that spool is not at it's prime.

Other types of plastic such ABS, HIPS, Nylon, PET-G, and especially PVA filament absorbs moisture right out of the air into the filament. These should be kept in sealed containers with desiccant, but that may not entirely solve it, you may have to dry filament before usage.

On the right hand side of this linked webpage, there are dozens of "How to Succeed with XXXX" articles https://www.matterhackers.com/store/c/3 ... r-filament
matter hackers guides example.jpg

And here is even more "Beat Moisture Before It Kills Your 3D Printing Filament" https://www.matterhackers.com/news/filament-and-water

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks Jetguy

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:52 pm

newraiseuser wrote:
kencfii wrote:The time it takes before it becomes not usable varies greatly with the filament - environment etc....

Thanks for the info. How do we know whether the filament is usable or not?

That is a tough one..... it either breaks or otherwise is poor quality layers....
Hard to tell until you use it unfortunatley...

Others have reported the sound of crackling/popping while printing - as that is the moisture....

maugseros

Postby maugseros » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm

I've gotten some big plastic tubs with lids and I put all my open filaments inside. Then I got a gallon of color changing silica beads. I poured in enough to cover the entire bottom of the container and I keep the lid on. Every 3-6 months the silica beads will change color when they've become saturated with moisture. They can be "regenerated" by putting them in the oven at 200F for like 3-4 hours (I'm saying this from memory, so that might not be 100% accurate, just follow the directions on the container of the beads.) They change back to their original color, then I let the beads cool and pour them back into the tub.

So far I haven't had any problem with storing filament for months or even a year or so.

Return to “General”