Grinding filment = clogged extruder

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
jevans

Grinding filment = clogged extruder

Postby jevans » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:03 am

I have had pretty good results with R2D Standard PLA thus far until now. R3D Black was excellent, but I have had all sorts of warping, stringing and failure to stick with R3D white.

I walked away from a print for some dinner and came back to a clogged extruder grinding filament:
IMG_20180123_191345067.jpg

This is R3D standard PLA printed with the default settings and temps for the speed slice profile.

I tried unloading the filament then reloading, increasing temp to 230, but no good. Nothing extruded and I couldn't push or pull it out, so I think it's melted in. I also tried with the included rod.

How difficult is it to clean stuck filament out and where can I find instructions on doing this for an N2 Plus V2 hot end?

Thanks

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Grinding filment = clogged extruder

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 am

We have instruction video shows you how to remove and take the parts of hotend apart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3EaDHNdlKU&t=28s
For your case, you need to drop the build plate down to ensure that there has enough space for you to remove the hotend.
Or give us a call maybe, if you have any unclear point from the instruction. Our engineer can guide you steps by step.
Telephone: + 1-888-963-9028
Working Hours: 9 AM - 6 PM (PT)

jevans

Postby jevans » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm

I was able to get the hot end off pretty easily... the heat sink looks to be a single piece of aluminum however and is still attached. Now there is a piece of filament stuck in the tube..

Can I just stick the whole thing in the oven at 250 to get the filament out?

Thanks for the great support.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:31 pm

I would not recommend dropping the hotend into an oven in this case. It would be better to remove the nozzle and heat up the hotend in the printer and then use the metal rod to push out the excess filament. From there reassemble the hotend outside the printer using our normal assembly guide found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hobwePlokQc

Please note that even if the heat sink looks different the rest of the assembly is the same, simply slide the heat sink on the barrel first. You do not need to secure the heat sink until all other operations have been completed.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

jevans

Postby jevans » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 pm

The nozzle is stuck really good, probably due to melted filament. Despite some pretty good torque it's beginning to strip the brass.

Any other suggestions? I'd hate to sacrifice a nozzle used only a dozen times.

Thanks

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Are you using a socket over the nozzle to grab it or are you using pliers?

jevans

Postby jevans » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 pm

A 6mm socket

jevans

Postby jevans » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 pm

A 6mm socket

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 am

If the brass nozzle is stripping out I would say just get it out by any means to salvage the rest of the print head. You could try applying heat by a heat gun or small torch to loosen up the nozzle and filament. Just be cautions about where you torque off of to not damage the barrel.

jevans

Postby jevans » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:54 pm

"By any means" doesn't give me a lot to go on. Now of course, the barrel is broken.

I first attempted to simply reinstall the head, so I could heat it up and just extrude the rest of the plastic, but the heating rods would not reseat properly. When I attempted to do so, they were misaligned. Not bent, they just don't fit properly back into the block:

IMG_20180125_130933253.jpg

The collar on the right-hand coil is preventing seating the other one. If I reseat the left one first, I can't get the other one in. If I reseat them both, neither fits. I looked for info on this and found nothing.. All reassembly videos just showed them sliding back in. So rather than risk bending or breaking these, I elected to try and remove the rest of the plastic from the head. I got almost all of it out with the cleaning rod, but not all of it. When I went to unscrew the barrel, I guess the remaining plastic hardened as I was removing the barrel and it just snapped off:

IMG_20180125_135700429.jpg

So what to do now? This is frustrating, because I have been rather meticulous about not doing anything if the instructions don't make sense, or don't match the situation. If the heating rods would have gone back in, I probably wouldn't be at this point. i'm not sure if the block was warped, the rods bent, or just sized incorrectly, but the fact is they just don't fit.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:51 pm

At this moment, you will need to replace the hotend Assembly. With the throat tube broken off in this way it is unlikely removal of the threads is possible without damage to the rest of the block. The thermocouple needs to be removed first from the heater block then the heater rod will slide out, the thermocouple should be replaced as well considering the bend that has been applied to it when it contacted the heater rod. Please give our office a call or email one of the support engineer's if you have any further questions.

Return to “General”