Setting the height of the build plate

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
RiserDog

Setting the height of the build plate

Postby RiserDog » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 pm

This topic might have been discussed before. Whenever I change out the hot end of my printer the gap between the nozzle and print bed will change. I have to start a print before I can adjust the gap with the screw in the left front corner. Is there a way to adjust it without doing a print? In other words, just adjusting with the hotend cold. Thanks. :)

Squenz

Re: Setting the height of the build plate

Postby Squenz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:00 pm

You shouldn't adjust bed height cold. Bed has to be at target temperature, nozzle should be warm, i use 50 to 60 percent if the print temperature of the loaden filament.

Tighten down all four setscrews if you're unsure where the the nozzle will end. If you expect only minimal change in bed height, a half turn would do it. One complete turn of the screw changes bed height one millimeter. The wing nuts help to count ...

Then, on the touch screen in Utilities menu, there's a rectangle button up in one corner. That starts the bed height adjustment assistent. Follow the lead and go around at least twice to have a perfect adjustment.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:41 pm

I also make my bed height adjustments hot. I let the build plate get to full temp and soak for a bit. I bring the nozzle temp up to about 40 degrees shy of printing temp, just to material ooze isn't a problem.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:41 am

Hi RaiserDog,

From what you have stated you are adjusting the nozzle height after something like a nozzle swap. For this you do not have to begin a print to check nozzle height but simply move the print head to X/Y home and then home the Z. From here disable the motors and move the print head to over the print bed and use the included shim to check the nozzle height. adjust the bed height screw and use the "Home" button for the Z on the "Utilitys" screen. once the bed homes check your height and adjust accordingly. Please do not attempt a print after adjusting the nozzle without checking height first.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Return to “General”