Filament monitor

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
stephen_b1

Filament monitor

Postby stephen_b1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:15 pm

What happened to the filament monitor that was being tested by r3d

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Filament monitor

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:58 am

The filament monitor is still under development. We are so sorry for such long delay.

Wibb

Postby Wibb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:36 pm

i think the above is still the case, i have a feeling that this cant be implemented without using a filament guide tube to keep the feed path a constant length, many users have modified to use feed tubes to stop jerking of the filament causing faulure to feed issues.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:36 am

We have add an extruder top cover and the extra filament guide tube for the printers sent out after 23th May.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:02 pm

I don't understand why this is so difficult, IF light path open (Y), send a pause signal to front panel controller board.

Matthew Lozano

Postby Matthew Lozano » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:58 pm

I suspect a two board system makes it a bit harder also i think most people want more then just a filament empty warning, so you also need to detect the movement of filament and some way to compare it to the expected movement.
Not saying its some impossible task just that it's more then a switch with two wires.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:06 am

Vicky,

Is there any pin out documentation available on how we can connect basic end of filament detector to the circuit board? Maybe there is already a pin header that will pause the print job?
Raise3D N2+

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:16 am

Or you can back this and get one of these. problem solved, provided it gets funded.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fi ... =user_menu

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 am

If you want to add a filament detector yourself, you need to modify the firmware yourself. There is no pin has been added this function in firmware currently.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:20 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too keen on hacking firmware. I'll brainstorm other solutions. I'm going to test the "resume on power outage" function. I think a pretty simple solution could be made to cut the power to the printer when the filament runs out.

That would suit my needs pretty well if the unit can resume reliably.
Raise3D N2+

sylus

Postby sylus » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:25 am

Repetier firmware have this feature, but marlin not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bhbh1mcsi8

Jam detection pin : Broche du fin de course sur lequel est connecté le module de détection.
JAM_STEPS : Nombre de pas moteur théorique entre deux signaux (3,6 x nombre de pas par mm de l'extrudeur)
JAM_SLOWDOWN_STEPS : Nombre de pas entre deux signaux au-delà duquel l'impression va être ralentie.
JAM_SLOWDOWN_TO : % de ralentissement de l'imprimante.
JAM_ERROR_STEPS : Nombre de pas entre deux signaux au-delà duquel on considère qu'il y a une anomalie importante (colmatage, fin de bobine...)
JAM_MIN_STEPS : Nombre de pas minimum avant de prendre en compte un nouveau changement de signal. (Permets d'avoir un signal "propre", en passant la zone où peut se produire un éventuel "balbutiement" au changement d'état du capteur")
JAM_ACTION : Choix de l'action à effectuer quand un "bourrage" est détecté.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:13 am

We want to add not only out of filament but also nozzle clogged caused no filament feed in any more into this part. We are testing the sample currently.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:08 pm

That's great news Vicky. Looking forward to more updates!
Raise3D N2+

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm struggling with daily clogged nozzles and stripped filament at the moment.

I'd love to be a beta tester of the filament monitor if you're looking for one. :)
Raise3D N2+

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:12 am

basilfawlty wrote:I'm struggling with daily clogged nozzles and stripped filament at the moment.

I'd love to be a beta tester of the filament monitor if you're looking for one. :)

I would suggest you buy a Bondtech extruder if you have extrusion problems. Best upgrade you can do with a Raise3d N1 printer imo. It just works really good.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:14 am

I'm not completely opposed to the idea but I feel like I just bought a new car and now I'm being told that it will work properly if I would just buy a new engine. :)
Raise3D N2+

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:23 am

basilfawlty wrote:I'm not completely opposed to the idea but I feel like I just bought a new car and now I'm being told that it will work properly if I would just buy a new engine. :)

You don't have to buy a Bondtech extruder. Original extruder can work but Bondtech is just so much better. It don't take many failed prints before a Bondtech has paid for itself. :)

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:29 am

I agree with you. It's just hard to replace a major part on an almost brand new machine.

Am I correct in assuming that I'd need the Rev2 Extruder for a new machine? http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits ... rev-2.html
Raise3D N2+

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:32 am

basilfawlty wrote:I agree with you. It's just hard to replace a major part on an almost brand new machine.

Am I correct in assuming that I'd need the Rev2 Extruder for a new machine? http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits ... rev-2.html

It depends on the housing you have on your machine. Rev 1 is csated and rev 2 is cnc-milled. Look at this pic and check wich one you have.

http://shop.bondtech.se/shop/ws71/47371 ... bdfab1.jpg

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:33 am

Trhuster wrote:
basilfawlty wrote:I agree with you. It's just hard to replace a major part on an almost brand new machine.

It depends on the housing you have on your machine. Rev 1 is casted and rev 2 is cnc-milled. Look at this pic and check wich one you have.

Last edited by Trhuster on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”