TPE filament not sticking to anything

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Zettlinger

TPE filament not sticking to anything

Postby Zettlinger » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi all,

I successfully printed with PLA, ABS etc from various suppliers but i am now out of ideas for my TPE filament.

Hopefully you might have some ideas i did not try yet :)

The problem is it will not stick to the bed at all (also have some extruding problems but i do not think it is linked, i even manually fed it so extrusion was not a problem)

I tried:
Varied first layer height from 0,1 - 0,35 (to see if more or less room on first layer would help)

Buildtak with and without heated bed (0-80 degrees incrementally tried various temps)

Glass without anything: also with and without heating

And Glass with the 3dlac spray (activates at 40-45 degrees but also tried without temp and upto 75-80 degrees)

Best result i got so far was that you could see the shape but on a 2nd pass it moved the first layer (so it did not really stick)

I also tried with and without the block for the airflow (like when printing abs)

Next test i am going to raise the temp to the max on both extruder and bed (240 - 110 ) to have a last try but i fear i will get the same result. (EDIT decided to try 240/0 first then 240/75 then 240/110 )

has anyone used TPE filament yet and how did you get it to stick ? (for the extrusion i will have to move the motor or go all the way to bondtech but that is for a later time)

Edit2: No luck on getting it to stick, even went slightly out of temp rang (190-240) and set it to 250 still no stick. its like an egg on teflon (the egg might stick better then this filament on my bed)

Zettlinger

Re: TPE filament not sticking to anything

Postby Zettlinger » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Thank you for the link, i did find it before and that is why i dared to experiment up to 250 Celsius.
The problem is not in getting it to flow but to stick on the bed. it will barely stick if at all and often the 2nd pass will just move it out of position

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:04 pm

May I suggest, lower the nozzle to 100um, NOT first layer ht but z ht off of bed to squeeze it down between the nozzle and the bed. Disclaimer, not used pet with n2+

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:23 am

Walshlg i will try that on my next test run, until now i used a bit over .2 as initial gap. (feeler of .2 will pass .25 wont)
Thank you for the hint, this is something i have not tried yet , i only changed first layer height and temps so far.

For now my gf has me printing stuff for her next convention and that seems to take priority (to her :p ) after that i will set it to 0,1 nozzle gap and try again. (and will post my result back here)

btw the TPE (not pet ;) ) was bought at 3dprima their home version of ninjafles/semiflex

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:58 pm

Not sure the diff between TPE and TPU. I do ALOT of TPU on my N2. Aquanet works perfectly fine holding the stuff down and letting it go when done. Although I have modified my bed so I can adjust the bed level and height in realtime. If you have not done that yet you do not know just how much more reliable the N2 can be. IMO, the fixed bed is a total boneheaded design choice.
BTW, slow it down and set the hotend temp to at least 230C.

Also... I have also done ALOT of PETG on the N2 as well. Like TPU I get awesome results. Aquanet works perfect for it too.
Also Bridge nylon. 618? Nah. 618 needs a different BP surface.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:45 pm

It seems the problem is not just the not sticking, it stops extruding after a while too (and then prob rips it off the plate again)

I am not considering the bondtech upgrade

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:52 pm

hmm extrusion failure! well perhaps increase extruder temp and decrease speed?

One thing others have noticed is heat plate temperature is way higher than print surface temperature. Consequently I set it at 60C for PLA

quyzone

Postby quyzone » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello Zettlinger, did it finally get to work? if not I have a solution but it may be very specific to my machine (Flashforge Dreamer) and my filament (blue tpe shoreA 90)

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:41 am

Sorry for the (very) late responds :)

No i did not manage at the time to get it to work and had to give up on the project.
As soon as i have some time to play around again (we ordered a new N1 that will free some time on the N2+) i will start retesting

Personally i think i need to either try to print at 5-10 mm/s (dont know if i went that slow before yet) or invest in a bondtech for the flexible stuff

Will try to remember to reply in this tread again once i retried :)

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Return to “General”