3rd Party Filament Trials and Tribulations

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
John@Raise3D

Re: 3rd Party Filament Trials and Tribulations

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:29 am

Andy Cohen wrote:@BB
What other 3D Printers do you have???
I think you misunderstand. I've had some success tuning and tweaking on my own. But what i see is NOT something that should be within the envelope of normal operations. It is another design defect. Subtle and harder to see then the others, but IMO a defect nonetheless.
I have nine other machines which all run with any filament i throw in them for any object I have them print. No special tuning required between spools beyond diameter measurement and temp.

I'm sure fanboys will be unhappy with my opinions on this. I really do not care. There is too much of simply going along with Raise3D here and not enough questioning or complaint. V2 should be a FREE FIX. That is... if V2 actually works! We do not know beyond what John and Derek post and their test prints are always those which seem to work perfectly. Simple cohesive statues. They need to test thin walled, hollow objects with dense infill. Crowd the extrusion.

We will run a test print with thin wall and dense infill and share it here.

rlballard

Postby rlballard » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:10 am

Andy,
You have far more experience than I do in the area of 3D printing. I just offered some advice on a process that I thought you were struggling with, obviously I did misunderstand thinking you were looking for some guidance.
BB

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:10 pm

John@Raise3D wrote:
Andy Cohen wrote:@BB
What other 3D Printers do you have???
I think you misunderstand. I've had some success tuning and tweaking on my own. But what i see is NOT something that should be within the envelope of normal operations. It is another design defect. Subtle and harder to see then the others, but IMO a defect nonetheless.
I have nine other machines which all run with any filament i throw in them for any object I have them print. No special tuning required between spools beyond diameter measurement and temp.

I'm sure fanboys will be unhappy with my opinions on this. I really do not care. There is too much of simply going along with Raise3D here and not enough questioning or complaint. V2 should be a FREE FIX. That is... if V2 actually works! We do not know beyond what John and Derek post and their test prints are always those which seem to work perfectly. Simple cohesive statues. They need to test thin walled, hollow objects with dense infill. Crowd the extrusion.

We will run a test print with thin wall and dense infill and share it here.

I had it choke on a thing made with this:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1264391
Make the box at least 120mm long and fill the sides with infill. Mine chokes reliably with R3D filament. Same file, same settings on the seeded MBI Replicator Gen5 prints perfectly. :o

Jetguy

Deleted

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:20 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:03 am

Jetguy wrote:Andy, thanks for linking the original object as that's always good to show attribution to any print we discuss (hint to everyone else in the group).

That said, to not compare apples and oranges, could you attach your custom STL file so that we are directly comparing the same results?
I just got test V1 nozzles from Micro Swiss and want to see if stock V1 chokes and then if Micro Swiss V1 chokes or passes.

Whew! Found it!
Note the long thin walls. To get the N2 to do it without a backwash clog I had to bring the infill down to less then 5%. I also set the Extrusion width (S3D) much larger... to about .47 to get the slicer to omit some of the toolpath to make it less crowded.
It backwashed with IM.
Attachments
u_box_v101_20160226-32269-163f5rc-0.stl
(424.43 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

rlballard

Postby rlballard » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:15 am

Jetguy,
The nozzles from Micro Swiss V1, what material are they? I am interested in process filled material and concerned some will eat up the brass we currently have available. I was considering the new Tungsten Nozzles by DDD Material:

https://dddmaterial.com/home/tungsten-premium-nozzle/

I am just not sure they would fit the V1 or V2, any thoughts???
BB

Jetguy

Deleted

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:22 am

Deleted
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:32 pm

There's another way of looking at V1 and V2 now. V1 will soon be obsolete. I assume Raise3D will stop shipping V1 and only ship the 3 products with V2. Nozzles are a material resource. The get damaged. They wear out. They may need to be swapped out from a clog. The material used for the V1 nozzle is the same for the nozzles I have used in other machines and from that experience I find that these nozzles will need replacement sooner or later with regular use... i.e., my kind of use which is printing everyday.
I have 3 V1 nozzles. 2 on the extruders and one replacement. After that and after Raise3D stops producing V1 parts the V1 assembly will have to be replaced even if it works fine. That's not an enhancement. V2 will be a required purchase.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:47 am

Andy Cohen wrote:There's another way of looking at V1 and V2 now. V1 will soon be obsolete. I assume Raise3D will stop shipping V1 and only ship the 3 products with V2. Nozzles are a material resource. The get damaged. They wear out. They may need to be swapped out from a clog. The material used for the V1 nozzle is the same for the nozzles I have used in other machines and from that experience I find that these nozzles will need replacement sooner or later with regular use... i.e., my kind of use which is printing everyday.
I have 3 V1 nozzles. 2 on the extruders and one replacement. After that and after Raise3D stops producing V1 parts the V1 assembly will have to be replaced even if it works fine. That's not an enhancement. V2 will be a required purchase.

Andy, we make V2 hot end a standard on all 3 printers now. However, we are not going to force anyone to purchase V2. If you decide to keep with V1, we will keep providing all the spare parts for V1, nozzles and everything.

Return to “General”