New Forum

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Zettlinger
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:48 am
Location: Roosendaal, Netherlands

New Forum

Postby Zettlinger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi Raise3D,

Nice sleek looking forum !

Was getting used to the old one but i am sure this one will fit like a glove too :)


Edit: OMG yes we can edit !
Last edited by Zettlinger on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Julia Truchsess
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: New Forum

Postby Julia Truchsess » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Great to have threaded discussions. Please add a favicon to the site!

User avatar
Julia Truchsess
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: New Forum

Postby Julia Truchsess » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Another suggestion for the forum would be to have external links automatically open in a new browser tab.

Matthew Lozano
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Re: New Forum

Postby Matthew Lozano » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Really looking forward to using this new forum, thanks Raise3D!

Edit: Look I can edit my post! Yay! :)

Zettlinger
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:48 am
Location: Roosendaal, Netherlands

Re: New Forum

Postby Zettlinger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Matthew... that does mean we have no more excuses for typos now though ;)

Evan
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Re: New Forum

Postby Evan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Wow the old forum got shut down quick. I guess R3D wasn't messing around.

User avatar
rlballard
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: New Forum

Postby rlballard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:07 pm

I like what I see, seems to flow nicely. Anxious to see how this evolves and what new additions come along!!!

MikeWall
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: New Forum

Postby MikeWall » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:27 pm

N2 KS-Raise3d'er

Charles
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: New Forum

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:51 pm

PLEASE keep the old forum around so we can still search it.

thanks!

User avatar
ewm
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: New Forum

Postby ewm » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Loving the new forum but yes please keep the original forum archived so we can still read it.

User avatar
Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:34 am

Re: New Forum

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:21 am

@all
Most of the old forum's thread has been moved to here. So you can search in those topics posted by John.
Meanwhile, you can still check the old one by using this link: http://muut.com/raise3d
We will keep working on this forum to make it have more functions.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.
Image

michaelhauser
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:19 am

Re: New Forum

Postby michaelhauser » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:28 am

@Derek, it looks to me like only a small portion of the info in the discussion threads has been migrated. Some of that info will continue to be valuable for quite some time. As others have requested, I would ask that you please keep the other forum accessible and searchable unless you plan to migrate all of the discussion threads.

User avatar
Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:34 am

Re: New Forum

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:23 am

michaelhauser wrote:@Derek, it looks to me like only a small portion of the info in the discussion threads has been migrated. Some of that info will continue to be valuable for quite some time. As others have requested, I would ask that you please keep the other forum accessible and searchable unless you plan to migrate all of the discussion threads.

Okey, I will do some research to see whether we could save the whole file and move them somewhere, currently we will still keep the old one.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.
Image

User avatar
Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:34 am

Re: New Forum

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:35 am

Julia Truchsess wrote:Great to have threaded discussions. Please add a favicon to the site!

Favicon added, external link in new tab added.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.
Image

User avatar
Julia Truchsess
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: New Forum

Postby Julia Truchsess » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Derek@Raise3D wrote:
Julia Truchsess wrote:Great to have threaded discussions. Please add a favicon to the site!

Favicon added, external link in new tab added.


Thanks, Derek! Now all we need is a "like" button :)

michaelhauser
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:19 am

Re: New Forum

Postby michaelhauser » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:52 pm

@Derek, I believe that migrating the discussion threads from the old MUUT forum to the new phpBB forum would require some custom scripting, as I couldn't find an existing phpBB converter for MUUT. As I mentioned in a thread on the old forum, MUUT supports exporting the content in JSON format, according to this discussion: muut.com/…/setting-up:feed-export
Then a script would need to parse the exported file and create the threads in the phpBB database. I think dummy users would need to be created, since the users were not migrated to the new forum. There are some published import scripts that might be a place to start (e.g., https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1211515 includes code for importing from CVS), but it looks like it would require significant development. Another approach would seem to be creating a converter that reads the old forum database tables and writes the new phpBB ones. Either way, it looks like quite a bit of work.

User avatar
Julia Truchsess
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: New Forum

Postby Julia Truchsess » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:32 am

What I'm really missing is some kind of indication of where new posts are. Most forums nowadays (including the old Raise forum) have a section for "Recent Activity" or at least highlighting of sections where there has been new activity. Here it seems I have to check every section to see if there are new posts?

treisner
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: New Forum

Postby treisner » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:39 am

@Julia, There is an "Active Topics" button on the upper right under your user icon. That will show the treads with recent posts.

User avatar
Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:34 am

Re: New Forum

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:41 am

Julia Truchsess wrote:What I'm really missing is some kind of indication of where new posts are. Most forums nowadays (including the old Raise forum) have a section for "Recent Activity" or at least highlighting of sections where there has been new activity. Here it seems I have to check every section to see if there are new posts?

newtopics.png
Some buttons are there.... Let me find if we could add the like button and some other extension to display the new topics in a better way.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.
Image

User avatar
Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:34 am

Re: New Forum

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:48 am

michaelhauser wrote:@Derek, I believe that migrating the discussion threads from the old MUUT forum to the new phpBB forum would require some custom scripting, as I couldn't find an existing phpBB converter for MUUT. As I mentioned in a thread on the old forum, MUUT supports exporting the content in JSON format, according to this discussion: muut.com/…/setting-up:feed-export
Then a script would need to parse the exported file and create the threads in the phpBB database. I think dummy users would need to be created, since the users were not migrated to the new forum. There are some published import scripts that might be a place to start (e.g., https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1211515 includes code for importing from CVS), but it looks like it would require significant development. Another approach would seem to be creating a converter that reads the old forum database tables and writes the new phpBB ones. Either way, it looks like quite a bit of work.

I know this, but don't have time to play with that. Maybe I just change the muut pricing plan to free and shutdown registration there. Then we could keep the old one permanently.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.
Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests