Rough surface after first layer issue

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
klayguy

Rough surface after first layer issue

Postby klayguy » Sun May 17, 2020 9:27 pm

I have been having this issue for a while now. The first layer goes down perfectly. Then the next couple layers I'm seeing rough/sloppy surface quality. Usually the print corrects itself but the rough bits should not be there. I do hear the nozzle grinding against the first layers, as if the print didn't raise the the next layer properly. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Pro 2 printer
.4mm nozzle, various layer heights
ABS- standard settings (tried with Raise Filament, Matterhackers and a generic brand)
No platform additions, although I've tried with a raft and it still happens.
Attachments
RaiseError.jpg

Markus64

Re: Rough surface after first layer issue

Postby Markus64 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 am

@klayguy, welcome to the forum!

Your recording looks familiar to me. Please take a look at the pictures of this post.

https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20235

The higher the temperature of the print plate, the stronger this effect, right?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Would you like to print a 20mm test cube and advise the printed out actual size once it completes for all three dimensions?

klayguy

Postby klayguy » Tue May 19, 2020 8:43 pm

@Markus- I don't see much difference with my results when printing ABS at 240 or 250 degrees or with bed at 100 or 110. It's puzzling. Thanks for the info though.

@Vicky- Is there any specific way I should print the cube? Temp, speed, and so forth or should I just do it however I'd like?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 20, 2020 2:54 am

We would suggest use default ABS template to start with.

klayguy

Postby klayguy » Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Here is the result of the 20mm cube test, printed using High Quality Pro 2 template. As you can is, it's garbage. Why could this be happening? Also attached is another example of the same issue. The Gcode for the 20mm box as well.
Attachments
20mm_Calibration_Box.gcode
(248.65 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Raisetest4.jpg
Raisetest3.jpg
Raisetest2.jpg
Raisetest1.jpg

loeschau1

Postby loeschau1 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:26 am

Hi

I once had a result similar to the one in the last photo.
For me, the cause was a used nozzle. After subconsciously printing abrasive filament.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 pm

loeschau1 wrote:Hi

I once had a result similar to the one in the last photo.
For me, the cause was a used nozzle. After subconsciously printing abrasive filament.

A fresh nozzle is always worth trying with weird issues. A partial clog can be hard to diagnose and can cause all kinds of grief.

klayguy

Postby klayguy » Thu May 21, 2020 5:04 pm

The nozzle is pretty new, maybe a month old. I've had things print quite well with the exception of the crappy lower layers. I'm surprised the cube turned out that bad. The first layer sticks perfectly, nice and clean. Wonder if it's because of the flowrate change- first layer is 100%, then it goes to 90% for the remainder of the print.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Do you have any tools can help measure the cube? Such like a pair of calipers.
Also, are you able to test with the left hotend to see if it is possibly a nozzle issue.

klayguy

Postby klayguy » Thu May 21, 2020 7:06 pm

I don't have calipers but I can get one. I ran the cube test using the left hotend. I recently replaced the hot ends too. I have an open ticket about the right nozzle not working properly. Shortly into a print, the printer switches from the left to right nozzle very fast, going up and down. The print of course fails after that but I have been able to use the left nozzle without that particular issue. I was told there must be a problem with the shifting assembly for the right nozzle, possibly a damaged or failing cable.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 pm

klayguy wrote:The nozzle is pretty new, maybe a month old. I've had things print quite well with the exception of the crappy lower layers. I'm surprised the cube turned out that bad. The first layer sticks perfectly, nice and clean. Wonder if it's because of the flowrate change- first layer is 100%, then it goes to 90% for the remainder of the print.

A fresh nozzle is always worth trying with weird issues. A partial clog can be hard to diagnose and can cause all kinds of grief.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat May 23, 2020 1:08 am

If the hotends are switching very fast there may be something wrong with the shifting assembly. I will recommend open a support ticket to have our technicains to help diagnose.

Return to “General”