Overhang printing

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Michal80

Overhang printing

Postby Michal80 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi, I want to print a protective mask to help hospitals. Despite many attempts, the quality is far from expectations. I am asking for help in correcting the settings parameters. I print on the default PLA template standard, filament Raise.ImageImageImageImageImage
Attachments
zaczep_szyb.stl
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
covid_mask.stl
(740.41 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Overhang printing

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:33 pm

Would you like to help double confirm whether your side cooling fans working properly?
Whether you are printing with top cover on or off?
That angle may need to be supported, but lowering bed temp by 5 or 10C can help improve the quality a little bit as well.

Michal80

Postby Michal80 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 pm

I prints without the top cover with open covers, the fans work correctly 100% setting. The effect is not satisfactory. I have a second Anycubic i3 Mega printer, CURA without support, the mask model comes out very nice, Raise very bad. Is the problem only in cooling or does any parameter affect it?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Due to the fact that the machine is fully enclosed it can suffer from slightly less than optimal overhangs with some model geometries. Lowering the bed temp and nozzle temp slightly should help if you don't like supports.

Michal80

Postby Michal80 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi. Please help. I can't deal with printing the mask on Raise pro2, the model is just ugly. I printed with and without supports, the effect is still bad. The uploaded photos show two prints from two printers. The black model printed on ANYCUBIC & CURA is a good, white model printed on Raise pro2 & IDEAMAKER. Default settings and minor modifications without effect, Raise filament. I don't know where I am making a mistake. If you can cut the submitted model according to your own experience. I expect much more from Raise.
Image Image Image
Attachments
Mask_body_L_wide.stl
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:53 pm

Have you tried adjust the temperature settings? Any good result?
Would you like to send us the Gcode for your print?

Michal80

Postby Michal80 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:20 am

I send two Gcode one better the other very bad. All the time the quality of the printed model is far from ideal. Please advise how to change the seam location. It is still visible on the top of the mask (nose). Thank you for your help
Attachments
mask ugly.bin
(20.58 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Mask better.bin
(20.63 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Mask_body ugly print.7z
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
Mask_body BETTER PRINT.7z
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 38 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Looking at the Gcode it looks like the bed temp is still at 60C.
Please try lowering the bed temp to 55 or 50C. You may also can consider adjust the Z-offset a little bit closer as the lower temp will cause PLA not to stick quite as well.

Michal80

Postby Michal80 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 pm

Vicky I understand I printed this model even on a cold table with the help of glue the effect is bad. My observation shows that the problem is the option to set the seam. On the fixed seam setting comes out worst. I do not understand what settings to choose the best for this model. Can you explain the relationship between this setting? I care very much about this.
Image Image Image

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:50 pm

We will run some test prints and let you know the result. It doesn't look like caused by the seam points. But we will see from the tests.

Michal80

Postby Michal80 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 pm

I have analyzed this problem and I still cannot get a good printout. In my opinion the problem is the starting point. The parameter (fixed start position in the Y axis) of picture-1 is responsible for changing the seam location of the outer wall, it works only when using the parameter print outer walls first, otherwise the starting position of the outer wall cannot be changed, it always starts with the nose. I moved the starting point of the outer wall and obtained a beautiful, perfect nose :) photo-2. However, another problem appeared - the beginning and the end of the outer wall do not join together - photo-3 and the printout does not come out. I can't change it and understand it. Summarizing the default settings, the seam of the outer wall always begins on the mask nose - photo-4. Adjusting the seam using the start of the Y axis and printing of external walls as the first seam changes position, but the wall does not connect - photo-5. Thank you for your help
Image Image Image Image Image

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 am

Thanks for providing more information.
We are currently still testing different settings to see which one is affecting the result of your print. Will update you once we have more clear idea.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 01, 2020 11:28 pm

Please check our result.
Here is the download link of our gcode: https://we.tl/t-8fk2teLeGH
Attachments
Image_20200501162519.jpg
Image_20200501162512.jpg
Image_20200501162525.jpg

drmrdude

Postby drmrdude » Sun May 03, 2020 12:21 am

Vicky,

Can you share the settings you changed to get better overhangs? I'm trying to improve overhangs on my prints in general.

Thanks!

Michal80

Postby Michal80 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:17 pm

I printed models with Gcode prepared, for me the overhang effect is very bad, no matter if there are supports or there are not. Internal and external walls are very nice :). Please enter what settings have been changed. How has the seam location changed? Below I am sending photos showing the same model printed on other printers without supports, the same PLA roll. I don't know where the problem is. Please find attached another mask model.

Image Image Image Image
Attachments
Mask_body_L_wide.stl
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 29 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 04, 2020 11:17 pm

drmrdude wrote:Vicky,

Can you share the settings you changed to get better overhangs? I'm trying to improve overhangs on my prints in general.

Thanks!

You can download my gcode files attached above and import the settings into ideaMaker to compare with your settings.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 pm

I remember that we have added Support and lower the bed temperature to be 55C. The seam points should be Fixed.
You can import the gcode file into ideaMaker to compare with your templates to see all the differences listed.

Would you like to share your gcode files sliced by other softwares printed out with better result with me together with the ideaMaker one with issues? I can see whether we can compare them out and tell anything from the files.

Michal80 wrote:I printed models with Gcode prepared, for me the overhang effect is very bad, no matter if there are supports or there are not. Internal and external walls are very nice :). Please enter what settings have been changed. How has the seam location changed? Below I am sending photos showing the same model printed on other printers without supports, the same PLA roll. I don't know where the problem is. Please find attached another mask model.

Image Image Image Image

Michal80

Postby Michal80 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:02 pm

I downloaded the G-code file which you sent, the mask with a large sag came out very badly. I compared it, you changed the seam, the rest of the settings are the default. Masks prepared in Cura end Z-SUITE also have default settings, only the filling has been changed. My settings do not make sense retraction, temperature idt. no effects. Another problem appeared on the second model, the seam is very bad.
Fixed seam in all settings goes out wrong, see photo. I have no idea how to solve this. Much more is expected from Raise & IdeaMaker. To sum up, we have two problems: overhang and seam quality. I hope we can solve it :D
Image Image Image

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 13, 2020 12:58 am

Would you like to try run a test run with the newly released ideaMaker beta and see whether the result has any improvement or not?
There should be some updates related to Fixed Seam in this version.

drmrdude

Postby drmrdude » Tue May 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
drmrdude wrote:Vicky,

Thanks!

You can download my gcode files attached above and import the settings into ideaMaker to compare with your settings.

@Vicky The WeTransfer link has expired. Can you post a new link or attach to the forum post?

Return to “General”