Layer Shift Pro2 - Assistance Appreciated

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
red

Layer Shift Pro2 - Assistance Appreciated

Postby red » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Using my Pro 2 with a single nozzle - At about 4/5 of the way complete I had a significant layer shift in what appears to be the X axis. Not a bump resulting in a pile of spaghetti, but an actual shift that continued to print the correct (albeit now offset) path.

As you can see I have some serious print lines as I am using a 1mm nozzle. I'm still dialing in my slicer settings but so far it's been working as a good means to print quickly.

There is a noticeable print line above the shift from where I ran out of filament, of which I am not concerned

This is my biggest to date, at 11" x 11" x 10".

It is a piece of a much larger construction and is for a client. Time is tight and i really need some help.

Here is the .idea file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idws2cechugpg ... 5.zip?dl=0

Thanks.

IMG_20200305_171133.jpg

IMG_20200307_104248.jpg

IMG_20200307_104301.jpg

IMG_20200307_104316.jpg

zemlin

Re: Layer Shift Pro2 - Assistance Appreciated

Postby zemlin » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:36 am

You have quite a lot of stringing. If material is picking up on the nozzle during the print, a glob can drop on the build and cause a nozzle strike resulting in a layer shift. On long prints I check the nozzle every few hours when I can. If it's picking up material I will pause the machine and use tweezers to scrape the excess material off the nozzle.

red

Postby red » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:08 pm

zemlin wrote:You have quite a lot of stringing. If material is picking up on the nozzle during the print, a glob can drop on the build and cause a nozzle strike resulting in a layer shift. On long prints I check the nozzle every few hours when I can. If it's picking up material I will pause the machine and use tweezers to scrape the excess material off the nozzle.

Hey, thank you for your reply. If there was a nozzle strike, wouldn't the rest of the print be spaghetti, as the printer doesn't realize there has been a strike (not knowing there has been a physical shift), and would continue printing where it thinks it should be? Also I didn't notice any buildup.

I printed a similar piece (the first piece's mate) and it went off w/o a hitch.

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:17 am

--------------------------------------------
God so loved the World that
He did not send a Committee

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:36 pm

red wrote:If there was a nozzle strike, wouldn't the rest of the print be spaghetti, as the printer doesn't realize there has been a strike (not knowing there has been a physical shift), and would continue printing where it thinks it should be? Also I didn't notice any buildup.

If the motor just gets stopped for a few steps, the print will continue. As long as there's something to print on the build will continue without doing the spaghetti thing.

Warp can be another contributor - vertical lift during retraction (Z-Hop) and help that, but it can also increase stringing/blobbing as the nozzle isn't wiping as it crosses the part.

I was also wondering if you are printing with one perimeter. That part looks a bit of a mess with all the gaps and blobs. I have printed a few parts with a 1MM nozzle and got very clean results. I did run it pretty slow though, as that's a lot of plastic for the hot-end to melt.

red

Postby red » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:11 pm

zemlin wrote:
red wrote:If there was a nozzle strike, wouldn't the rest of the print be spaghetti, as the printer doesn't realize there has been a strike (not knowing there has been a physical shift), and would continue printing where it thinks it should be? Also I didn't notice any buildup.

If the motor just gets stopped for a few steps, the print will continue. As long as there's something to print on the build will continue without doing the spaghetti thing.

Warp can be another contributor - vertical lift during retraction (Z-Hop) and help that, but it can also increase stringing/blobbing as the nozzle isn't wiping as it crosses the part.

I was also wondering if you are printing with one perimeter. That part looks a bit of a mess with all the gaps and blobs. I have printed a few parts with a 1MM nozzle and got very clean results. I did run it pretty slow though, as that's a lot of plastic for the hot-end to melt.

Hey, thank you for your reply.

My Zhop has been set at 0.550, which I set after talking to a tech at Matterhackers.

I was also wondering if you are printing with one perimeter

Good question, I don't know. I'm searching for it, or its equivalent in Ideamaker.

Here are my speeds, as well as a shot of the second print. The model file is pretty blobby (It's supposed to be rough stone), though #2 came out much better than the first one with the shift.

1mmSpeeds.jpg

IMG_20200308_201847.jpg
Last edited by red on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

red

Postby red » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:12 pm

Vagulus wrote:This might be some help
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... -shifting/

Checking that out now. Thank you.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:19 am

The last parts I ran with a 1mm nozzle were in PLA and I ran them at 33mm/sec. I didn't arrive at that speed though anything scientific - just figured pushing too much plastic through the hot end could be problematic - and even at that speed it was a pretty rapid build. I used a .4mm layer thickness.

red

Postby red » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm

zemlin wrote:The last parts I ran with a 1mm nozzle were in PLA and I ran them at 33mm/sec. I didn't arrive at that speed though anything scientific - just figured pushing too much plastic through the hot end could be problematic - and even at that speed it was a pretty rapid build. I used a .4mm layer thickness.

I am going to experiment with slowing it down a touch after this job, as so far the subsequent pieces have printed ok. Also going to turn down the part cooling fan.

Can you tell me where the "perimeter" setting is in Ideamaker? I've scoured the settings and googled to no avail. I know about "shells" but don't see anything referencing perimeter.

Thank you again.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:09 pm

I don't use Ideamaker so I'm not familiar with their terms. Judging by your screenshot it is probably the number of shells? Basically how many outer layers are printed. I'd go at least two, if not three.

red

Postby red » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58 pm

zemlin wrote:I don't use Ideamaker so I'm not familiar with their terms. Judging by your screenshot it is probably the number of shells? Basically how many outer layers are printed. I'd go at least two, if not three.

Ah, ok. I have been using 2 shells. I will experiment with three.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:21 pm

What's your layer height and extrusion width?

red

Postby red » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:12 pm

@zemlin

Layer height = 0.55
Extrusion width = 1.00
Zhop has been at 0.55 since the start. Should I up that, in your opinion?

I have since slowed everything down, and brought my fan to 25%.

My last print failed miserably, so I'm hoping these new settings will do the trick.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:31 pm

I'd suggest an extrusion width of 1.2 or so. Z-Hop of one layer thickness should be adequate unless the part is warping.

red

Postby red » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:08 pm

zemlin wrote:I'd suggest an extrusion width of 1.2 or so. Z-Hop of one layer thickness should be adequate unless the part is warping.

Great, thank you. I will give those settings a try.

How do my speed settings strike you?

speedSettings1mm.jpg

I really appreciate the help

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:16 am

I can't say for sure that you're running too fast, but a 1mm nozzle is pushing more than 6x the plastic going through the factory .4mm nozzle. That a big demand on the hot end and I think you run the risk of extruding plastic that hasn't hit the set point. As I mentioned earlier, I ran a 1mm nozzle with good success at close to half the speed you're running. I was at 33mm/sec max.

red

Postby red » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:26 pm

zemlin wrote:I can't say for sure that you're running too fast, but a 1mm nozzle is pushing more than 6x the plastic going through the factory .4mm nozzle. That a big demand on the hot end and I think you run the risk of extruding plastic that hasn't hit the set point. As I mentioned earlier, I ran a 1mm nozzle with good success at close to half the speed you're running. I was at 33mm/sec max.

Thank you for your help. I've done some tweaking and have been getting some pretty damn good results.

Return to “General”