PVA Issues

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
CA Reno

PVA Issues

Postby CA Reno » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi,

I just recieved my new Raise3D Pro2 printer, and a new spool of Raise3D PVA.
I used IdeaMaker with settings derived from: https://support.raise3d.com/Pro2-Series/raise3d-pva-print-setup-4-366.html
The PVA sticks to the BuildTak with no issues, but it will not stick to itself or PLA very well. It doesn't stick to PLA at all.
Are there other settings that I am missing? I updated the firmware when setting up the machine.
Please see attached photos.

On the first print, the PVA adhered to the plate fine, but then around the third layer started to mess up.
On the second larger print, the PVA just would not adhere to the PLA layer. All those little squiggles are supposed to be near the wall within the circle.

Thanks for any input.
Attachments
IMG_0490[1].JPG
IMG_0489[1].JPG

Sunshine

Re: PVA Issues

Postby Sunshine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:46 am

Try to tweak the temperature settings and go for something smaller to try it out.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 pm

Did you keep the PVA spool in dry box during printing? Would recommend you dry the spool and leave it in dry box during printing in case moisture affects the quality of the filament.

CA Reno

Postby CA Reno » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Have you really gotten PVA to work with PLA?

I am in San Diego, so pretty low humidity. I put moisture absorbing packs in the case under the spools, and they did not change color, so I think humidity was not an issue. I also run a dehumidifier in the room.

The PVA just would not adhere to the PLA. I use Raise3d brand for both and followed the set up that is recommended. I would be a little encouraged if the PVA stuck a little bit, but did not at all. It just curled into little pig tails.

If I was to tweak the temperature, should it be hotter or cooler? I have read that if the temperature is too high, then I may have clogging issues?

Today, I ordered hips and abs, in hopes that this combination will work. The biggest appeal of two extruder for me is to have dissolvable supports. For some parts it seems that this is very important.

Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:25 pm

PVA is a filament very sensitive to humidity and temperature. We would recommend you to use the different PVA settings already set in ideaMaker under PVA filament settings and make sure that you have selected PVA for right nozzle so that those filament settings will override the main template.
For humanity, if you have gone through our PVA setup guide, there is one step to ask you put the spool into PolyBox and wait the humanity to drop under 15%. If your environment can be always lower than that humanity, PVA should be fine. Or we would suggest you get some filament dryer devices to make sure the spool is properly dried before printing and always dry.
Screenshot_20190809111923.png

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:14 pm

CA Reno wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Have you really gotten PVA to work with PLA?

I am in San Diego, so pretty low humidity. I put moisture absorbing packs in the case under the spools, and they did not change color, so I think humidity was not an issue. I also run a dehumidifier in the room.

The PVA just would not adhere to the PLA. I use Raise3d brand for both and followed the set up that is recommended. I would be a little encouraged if the PVA stuck a little bit, but did not at all. It just curled into little pig tails.

If I was to tweak the temperature, should it be hotter or cooler? I have read that if the temperature is too high, then I may have clogging issues?

Today, I ordered hips and abs, in hopes that this combination will work. The biggest appeal of two extruder for me is to have dissolvable supports. For some parts it seems that this is very important.

Thanks.

I have done some successful prints with PVA-PLA and noticed I needed to increase the temperature of the PVA to get it more liquid-like. Clogging apperas mostly for me when the PVA gets burnt in the nozzle when it is not in use. Depending what you are printing it helps to either insert a small PVA tower so that you are continously printing layers with PVA, or you can choose to let the inactive extruder cool down when it is not in use. The burning could be related to moisture and therefore you should actively dry out your spools of PVA before printing.

Here are some different tips as well https://www.embodi3d.com/forums/topic/7 ... vironment/ .

Return to “General”