N1 Layer Shifting

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
dsiegfried

N1 Layer Shifting

Postby dsiegfried » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:15 pm

I know this has been discussed before on the N2, the layer shifting can be eliminated by slowing the printer down, but it's frustrating to not be able to run it at the speeds it's capable of. This is only running at maximum speeds of 65mm/sec, the machine is capable of much faster speeds.

With the N2 they said to remove the electronics cover but what about with the N1?
Attachments
Raise3D_Skipping_Steps.jpg
N1 Layer Shifting

Trhuster

Re: N1 Layer Shifting

Postby Trhuster » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Check all the grub screw in the pulleys, some can be loose. But that ringing though, not pretty. Can you feel any play in your printhead?

dsiegfried

Postby dsiegfried » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:52 pm

No play in the printhead whatsoever and I have run much larger jobs with no layer shifting at all. I don't think it's loose hardware, I think it is stepper driver error.
By "ringing" if you mean those artifacts around the holes, those are par for the course with parts that have holes.

Normally the layer shifting goes away if I slow down the speed, but I just started the job again at 60mm/sec, and the layer shifting is still there.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:56 pm

Layer shift is at the same way, that indicates that a pulley is loose. I would check them to be sure.

dsiegfried

Postby dsiegfried » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:16 pm

I'll check all the pulleys and set screws before the next run.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:54 pm

dsiegfried wrote:I'll check all the pulleys and set screws before the next run.

For N1, the electronic box is outside the chamber so it is less likely to be affected by heat.
Check the mechanical part first (all screws and belts on X/Y gentry).
If this can't help you, please go to http://help.raise3d.com/support/home to get further one on one tech support.

MikeWall

Postby MikeWall » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:01 am

@John@raise3d,
I recall a mod to the voltage for the stepper motor being previously posted. If I recall correctly, lowering the voltage would increase the stepper motor torque and the motors temp. Is this correct and how can it be done?
N2 KS-Raise3d'er

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:59 am

MikeWall wrote:@John@raise3d,
I recall a mod to the voltage for the stepper motor being previously posted. If I recall correctly, lowering the voltage would increase the stepper motor torque and the motors temp. Is this correct and how can it be done?

Yes, lower the voltage of A4988 stepper driver to avoid grinding. I will email you the instruction.

dsiegfried

Postby dsiegfried » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:13 am

All the pulleys and set screws are tight as a drum. I ran the same part again and still having the same problem.
I even added a fan below the electronics to make sure the board stayed cool.
And the layer shifting is not all in one direction, there are shifts in both directions.

dsiegfried

Postby dsiegfried » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:19 am

I opened a ticket.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:35 am

dsiegfried wrote:All the pulleys and set screws are tight as a drum. I ran the same part again and still having the same problem.
And the layer shifting is not all in one direction, there are shifts in both directions.

Do the printhead move freely when pulling it gently by hand? I have taken my printer apart and i had to do some fine tuning when putting it together again to make it move freely as before. Worth checking.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:27 am

dsiegfried wrote:All the pulleys and set screws are tight as a drum. I ran the same part again and still having the same problem.

Just replied to the ticket. Please check.

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:41 pm

dsiegfried wrote:I opened a ticket.

Hi I wonder if they solve your problem in the ticket because I get shift problem also. And, I can not find the reason why it happens after check everything.

Return to “General”