Does anyone here speak Raise?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Vagulus

Does anyone here speak Raise?

Postby Vagulus » Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 am

Every time I start working with a new device I have trouble with jargon. It's like learning a new language and the trouble is that no-one supplies a dictionary. Having just purchased a Pro2 I am struggling with "Raise" language.

Can someone please tell me if I have these terms correct?
190516-MedallionLabelled.JPG

Thanks
--------------------------------------------
God so loved the World that
He did not send a Committee

Heckler

Re: Does anyone here speak Raise?

Postby Heckler » Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am

What you call out as a skirt is a wipe wall used to purge between colors with dual extrusion. What you call out as a brim looks more like a raft. A brim will be very close to your part (like 0.1 away) and typically does attach to your part to help parts from warping (used for ABS, nylon, etc/, plastic types that typically warp easily), you usually only do this for 1 or 2 layers and 10 or more lines. A raft prints below your part to help level out the print surface prior to your part, after printing you just peel your part off the raft. A skirt is similar to a brim but is not close to your part and is used in the very beginning of the print just to purge filament to get it flowing, usually just one or two lines around your part and typically for just the 1st layer.

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Thu May 16, 2019 5:39 am

Ah Ha!

1. That's not a 'Skirt', it's a 'Wipe Wall'. You say that a Wipe Wall is 'used to purge between colors with dual extrusion'. Yes, I do have a Dual Extruder machine (Pro2) but it uses separate nozzles to do the separate colours shown above. Why would it need to purge?
Frankly, I find the Wipe Wall a downright nuisance, at least when printing in PLA. When the model varies much in horizontal dimensions the Wipe Wall collapses and become a tangle of separated threads
Collapsed Skirt-478x640.jpg

I have had the extruders get caught up in a mess like this and rip the model and raft away from the Printing Platform.

Can I turn this nuisance off?
How?

2. What I was calling a 'Brim' is my 'Raft Offset'. That makes sense.

Thanks

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 am

The wipe wall is used to establish a consistent flow and to wipe the nozzle before moving to the model. This will make your model cleaner (prettier). These terms that you are talking about is not only a thing that Raise is using, but is standard in most FFF 3D-printers. I recommend checking out some tutorials on youtube to get aquainted to the nomenclature.

With all that said, you can turn it off in the ooze tab. In this particular case it would be better with a wipe tower I suppose.

You could use one of the example files that Raise has in ideamaker under the File tab to do some experiments! Do some changes to the settings and slice it, thereafter check the preview to get an idea of what happens. Good luck!

Edit: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... e-supports , check this out as well. This page is pretty good for error searching most problems.

PTXer

Postby PTXer » Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 pm

You can also keep the wipe wall, but not have it contour with your part. Same ooze tab, drop down wipe wall type - choose Vertical.

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Wow Sunshine! That is one bobbydazzler of a webpage!
There will be a lot of hours working through that!

My thanks to all who have participated in this thread.

I have learnt a lot.

Return to “General”