When to update firmware and raise touch

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
anajarus

When to update firmware and raise touch

Postby anajarus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Hello,

I'm a newbie! When is it recommended to update firmware, anytime a new version is available?

I had a messy print that ended up with PLA fused around the head. Trying to figure out why. So far I have a few guesses, and one of them is firmware update. I had just installed the 1.1.6 rev 1 for the N2 PLUS. Is it possible that this update helped to mess it up?

Also, should I update raise touch?

Thank you

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: When to update firmware and raise touch

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

We always recommend to keep your software and firmwares updated with the latest version on our website, as each time we release a new version doesn't include new features only but also a lot bug fixes for old version to improve the printing result or smooth the workflow.
Filament warping around nozzle is normally caused by poor bed adhesion. Please double confirm that your nozzle Z offset has been set properly, especially around the print area of this print.

anajarus

Postby anajarus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Thank you Vicky.

Z offset might have been too high, i had adjusted it a little higher because printed objects were getting stuck to the platform - it was recommended by support after we had a glass platform breakage. Any recommendations if it's still hard to remove objects with the optimal Z offset position ("provide friction without requiring excessive force")?

Thank you

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:29 pm

Have you enabled the Raft? Raft has higher layer height, which can reduce the affect not such perfect Z offset. The optimal Z offset position is can pass the feeler gauge but you can feel a little friction from the nozzle.

anajarus

Postby anajarus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Yes, I always use raft. When the z offset was in a position similar to what you describe, the objects were sticking too much onto the platform. That's why I tried increasing the distance.

when z offset has the optimal position and objects are printed with a raft, and it is still too difficult to remove from platform, what do you recommend?

I saw some youtube videos talking about spraying a water+alcohol mix when print is done, do you recommend that?

Thank you.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Try putting the plate with print in the freezer for a while. The part will shrink, and may even just pop off.

Return to “General”