X-Axis motor fails on small movements

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Zak.Parrish

X-Axis motor fails on small movements

Postby Zak.Parrish » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 am

Note that this is already a support ticket; I'm posting here to see if anyone has any answers they can toss out before Raise3D gets back to me, whenever that may be.

I have been getting consistently failed prints on my Pro2 due to what at first appeared to be layer shift. After hours of testing I have found that the X-Axis motor will *not move* under certain conditions.

What I've discovered is that when making very minute movements in X, the stepper motor fails altogether and omits the move. This becomes apparent as the extruder slows its X-motion, such as when coming around curves.

If you look at the attached image you can see the result of this. Even when laying the first bead of the raft (outer circle) the left and right sides of the circle collapse and flatten out. Then, when we do the next layer, we're offset and the print fails.

The problem is not with belts or pulleys. If you gently place your finger at the top of the rod, near the frame where it engages the X-Axis motor, and then jog the extruder head (using the touch screen) just 0.1mm in X, nothing happens. You won't feel any movement until you get to at least 3-4mm. (You can test the right rod if it makes you feel good, but the motor feels like it's on the left)

Conversely, if you do the same thing with the rear rod, which engages the Y-Axis motor, even a single 0.1mm jog can easily be felt with your fingertip. That motor is working just fine.

It's like there's about 3-4mm of play before the X-Axis motor actually engages.

I'd like to know what solutions we have here. Do I need to replace the motor? Tighten something? Could it be the motor drivers? If the drivers work of some sort of electronic resistance, I could see a bad connection or failing part screwing with the otherwise simple signal that goes to the motor.

I love my Pro2, but I was hoping it would survive longer than 2-3 print jobs before things started failing. :)

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: X-Axis motor fails on small movements

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Do you mean that the X direction is able to be moved about 3-4mm even the motor is engaged?
It maybe a loose motor coupler.
Have you heard any abnormal noise during XY movement?

Zak.Parrish

Postby Zak.Parrish » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:16 pm

No, the motor is engaged and you can't physically rotate the rod. There's no free play in that regard.

It's more like if the motor is told to do a very small movement (less than a couple mm) it just doesn't move. As I said, I can jog by 0.1mm in X and for the first 20-30 motions, nothing happens. The motor does not engage at all until the jog distance is more than about 3mm. And even then, it doesn't go the full distance.

However, if you jog in X by 10mm, it does respond. It's like very small movements are cancelled, which is what had me thinking maybe it's a driver issue.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Jog the X by 10mm and jog the Y by 10mm to make sure both motors are been engaged. Then hand push the print head in both direction gently and see whether you are able to move the printer head, how much and in which direction.

Zak.Parrish

Postby Zak.Parrish » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Just to close the loop here. Problem turned out to be the coupling between the motor and the rod. Tightened the 4 screws on the coupler and the problem went away.

Thanks to the Raise3D support team!

Return to “General”