Best filament for motorcycle headlight - Carbon + Flex?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Moto-Mucci

Best filament for motorcycle headlight - Carbon + Flex?

Postby Moto-Mucci » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:24 pm

I'm designing a custom motorcycle headlight bucket and mounting bracket. It will use "off the shelf" sealed beam halogen internals (from Hella). The light will get pretty hot and being a motorcycle the part will see lots of vibration.

My printer has a Raise3D Pro 2. I'm not familiar with the machine but trying to research the best filament option for this application. I was wondering if something like a ColorFab carbon filament + colorfab flex filament would work well?

Or are there better options for high heat and vibration parts?

Here's the design:

Headlight_02.31.jpg

Headlight_02.28.jpg

zemlin

Re: Best filament for motorcycle headlight - Carbon + Flex?

Postby zemlin » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:44 am

I think the heat is from the lamp is a major concern, especially with the housing fitting so close to the reflector and no apparent ventilation to allow the heat to escape. I have done some headlight mods in cars and am familiar with Hella lamps. I'm not optimistic about your design surviving out of plastic.

If I were going to try anything for this part, it would probably be a carbon filled polycarbonate. The carbon doesn't actually add strength because the fiber bits are so short, but it reduces shrinkage to improve the build and also increases rigidity.

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:00 am

I use NylonX filament for alot of prints. High temp and low warp.

Moto-Mucci

Postby Moto-Mucci » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:45 pm

I'm running a heat test with the headlight right now to find out how hot it gets. The bucket that comes with the light is very tight to the sealed beam housing as well.

Is the CF filament taxing to anything else on the machine besides the nozzle? I don't want to wear out my buddies machine by accident.

Moto-Mucci

Postby Moto-Mucci » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:36 pm

So I did a heat test on the headlight and it got up to 115c peak. Just got off the phone with MatterHackers and they said their NylonX (carbon fiber) MAY work ok but that was pushing it's HDT (110c). They recommended their PCxABS filament instead. It's HDT is 140c and doesn't require the wear resistant nozzle. The barrier is the print temp of 260-290c. Luckily my buddies Raise PRO2 can do 300c.

They also sent this over, that lists the HDT for most of their materials:
https://matterhackers.helpscoutdocs.com ... nvironment

For some reason they don't list those numbers on the individual material's page.

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:49 pm

My two cents.
Use a filled polycarbonate for the headlight surround. It has higher temp resistance than nylons do, and the filing ( likely carbon fiber) really cuts down on warp.
Make sure to modify your design to allow at least some heat dissipation.
For the Mount, I suggest using TPU, get a 90A Show hardness formula, and printing it with several shells and around 50% infill. It will be strong and absorb a lot of vibration rather than transferring it to the headlight.
TPU is quite similar to the sole of a workbook when you print it dense.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 pm

cullymoto wrote:My two cents.
Use a filled polycarbonate for the headlight surround. It has higher temp resistance than nylons do, and the filing ( likely carbon fiber) really cuts down on warp.
I've been messing around with CF PETG recently, and it does print pretty sweet. I also have some CF PC that I haven't printed yet.

Return to “General”