Different print quality between two printers

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
flexrc

Different print quality between two printers

Postby flexrc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:43 pm

I'm printing same model with the same gcode on two N2 with the same sized 0.4mm nozzle and nozzles are 100% brand new. Material is the same just different colors. I'm confident that if I will use same roll on both machines it won't change anything.

I'm getting different results. One is perfect and another does not look good.

How is it possible? Any suggestions?
Attachments
IMG_7204.JPG

Trhuster

Re: Different print quality between two printers

Postby Trhuster » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Both prints look like crap. I suggest you calibrate your filament and check your first layer distance between nozzle and bed. Should be around 0.2mm.

Did you use support? Does not look like you did.

flexrc

Postby flexrc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:19 pm

I've used support for both, the main difference you can see is that black has straight lines and red one has a mess. This surface is what I get on top of support.
Bed is leveled on both and proper distance.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:19 pm

I believe you have found that even with the same color, roll to roll, filament changes. This is especially common with different colors with PLA. EVEN WORSE - the rolls take up moisture over time so the same spool changes with time! Its indeed a total PITA.

flexrc

Postby flexrc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:44 am

walshlg wrote:I believe you have found that even with the same color, roll to roll, filament changes. This is especially common with different colors with PLA. EVEN WORSE - the rolls take up moisture over time so the same spool changes with time! Its indeed a total PITA.

It is HDGlass (PETG?) I mean that I've tired same spool of filament in two N2 printers and results are totally different, as this picture shows. I know that different spools might behave a bit differently, just in this case I have completely different behavior between N2s and no idea why it can happen and how to approach it. Or does it mean that I have to look for new settings for each printer of the same brand and model?

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:38 pm

I just opened a new bag of PETG and it printed with small bubbles. Yes even PETG adsorbs water. (I have had 3 brand new unopened bags of various material filament that needed drying before printing so far in 2016.) I dried it out at 50C for 12 hours and its printing well. I know its a pain but if you want quality prints its worth drying them out every week or 2 and doing test prints for best temperature and extrusion %.

Return to “General”