Can't power off

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Ikoth

Can't power off

Postby Ikoth » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi all,

I sucessfully tested my new N2+ with the 20mm calibration square.

Only problem is I now can't turn the printer off. The screen just stays in a flicker loop.

One suggestion was to use the reset button to power off the screen. The screen blanks when the button is pressed in, as soon as I release it I just flickers like crazy, I worried the screen will be damanged.

Suggestions please...

I.

Jetguy

Re: Can't power off

Postby Jetguy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:29 pm

"The problem" is that you failed to allow the LCD and pcDuino controller battery to recharge after shipping. The battery only recharges when the printer is on. The battery self discharges over time and during the long ride on the boat and sitting in storage, your battery was nearly dead.
The LCD is an entire mini Linux computer that has a battery not unlike a laptop. The power switch only controls the main 24V supply. The front LCD senses when the 24V supply is turned on, there is a secondary delay board to ensure the PSU is really on and stable, and that in turn tells the pcDuino board to turn on. Thus, there is no "direct" power switch on that tiny little computer. When the lithium battery is low, it cannot run long enough to properly shut down the operating system of the LCD screen making it loop or flicker.

One of 3 things is going to happen:
The first is, the battery will just run down until the battery management system (BMS- a tiny circuit board on the battery) finally says enough is enough and interrupts the battery from powering the system.
OR
You follow the instructions to open the control panel bay and unplug the battery
or
Don't turn the printer off for the first 24 hours to allow the battery to charge before attempting to turn off.

The screen will not be damaged but you really shouldn't let the battery run down flat either.
So turn it on and walk away or keep printing for the next 24-48 hours.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:45 pm

I really think there should be a big fat warning piece of paper over the front panel that says power on for 24 hours.
Maybe a section in the manual that tells the user to turn the printer on at least for a few hours every week and monitor the battery charge state, do not turn off the printer if the battery is low.

This is because any other fixes are a major change to the electronics. It works the way it works. It works fine in most use cases.
It's when you couple new user, discharged battery, and you get the "I'm caught in a reboot loop".

Ikoth

Postby Ikoth » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Brilliantly detailed answer. Much obliged!

peterbako

Postby peterbako » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Ikoth wrote:Hi all,

I sucessfully tested my new N2+ with the 20mm calibration square.

Only problem is I now can't turn the printer off. The screen just stays in a flicker loop.

One suggestion was to use the reset button to power off the screen. The screen blanks when the button is pressed in, as soon as I release it I just flickers like crazy, I worried the screen will be damanged.

Suggestions please...

I.

... I had EXACTLY the same yesterday, when my N2+ was delivered and also printed the test cube :). Since I left it powered on the problem was resolved.

Return to “General”