Max operating temperature.

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Noren

Max operating temperature.

Postby Noren » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi. Will I have problems using the printer a room with high temperature? Our laundry room easily hits 25-35°C depending on who many times the washing machine and tumble dryer has been on in a day. Guess that's not good? Especially for some filaments?

Jetguy

Re: Max operating temperature.

Postby Jetguy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:49 am

While you can close the printer up, by far, the worst thing you can do is put it someplace that changes temp over time.
This is a temp controlled process and changing ambient temp around the printer is the worst thing you can do.
Further, lint around any dryer is higher, and that's a horrible idea too.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:52 am

I didn't even get into changing humidity which is an absolute nightmare depending on what filament you are printing.

Bottom line:
Stable clean temp and humidity controlled environment- exactly opposite to any laundry room conditions.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:01 am

The 3 worst places in your house and the worst place outside your house as the 4th:
Laundry room- temp changes, humidity, and lint dust, all bad for 3D printing and anything mechanical
Bathroom- humidity and temp- not to mention, it's a bathroom and unlikely place for a 3D printer
Kitchen- humidity and temp changes, but far worse, often exposure to food based grease and oil

Now external, then there is the garage- a place probably at least a few folks do use for 3D printers to "get them out of the way".
Your garage is typically not insulated, not part of your climate control system, not filtered air, no control over humidity.

These are $2K+ machines. If you just spent that kind of money, treat the machine right to a temperature and humidity controlled clean environment with filtered and safe power (UPS).

Treat the machine right and it will treat you right.

Noren

Postby Noren » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks. That will shut my wife up. :). Glad that you confirmed what I thought was the case. Now i can place the printer in a more central place in the house. ;)

Return to “General”