Big Machine, Small Print - Polymaker PC-Max + 0.4mm Nozzle

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Mecha_Monster

Big Machine, Small Print - Polymaker PC-Max + 0.4mm Nozzle

Postby Mecha_Monster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello,

I can't praise enough the Raise3D and all its team. I have access to a Stratasys Objet30 Pro, which I use to print prototypes, nevertheless, After lot of practice with my Raise3D N2, I am capable of producing parts of a quality very similar to Stratasys.

Below are images of a valve that I printed in my Raise3D N2 (No mods) using Polymaker PC-Max and a 0.4mm Nozzle. The quality is just astounding. I choose PC because it does not require cooling and wont curls nor distort, it works very very well with overhangs and thin walls, and have very good surface quality (And PC is waaay stronger than any material used by the Objet30).
The final print is very strong; I have drop it and it did not break. I also designed it to snap it; it assembled without problem, and although the matting parts are less than 0.3mm width, it withstand multiple cycles of assemble-dissasembly (I mean, it still haven't break). I am very happy with the results.
I will keep pushing the limits of the printer before attempting to upgrade it. Next will be smaller nozzle and eventually the Bondtech extruder.

Settings:
Layer height: 0.10mm
Extruder temp: 270 deg.
Buildplate temp: 110 deg.
Number of shells: 4
Inner shell speed: 12 mm/s
Outer shell speed: 6 mm/s
Infill speed: 18 mm/s
Retraction: 2 mm
Retraction speed: 25 mm/s

Supports: pillars
Support size: 1.4mm
Horizontal offset: 1mm
Vertical offset: 0.10mm
Support speed: 12 mm/s

Z-hop: 0.10mm
Preheat chamber for 1hr to ensure properly heated plate

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

2CNK

Re: Big Machine, Small Print - Polymaker PC-Max + 0.4mm Nozzle

Postby 2CNK » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Wow, that's some astounding detail. Thanks for sharing your detailed settings - I haven't tried PC-Max yet (but I have a spool), your experience will be very helpful to me when I do use it!

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:44 pm

2CNK wrote:Wow, that's some astounding detail. Thanks for sharing your detailed settings - I haven't tried PC-Max yet (but I have a spool), your experience will be very helpful to me when I do use it!

Thank you!, yes, you should try it. In other post I have said that the support material of the Polymaker's PLA-plus and max are hard to remove. BUT it is the complete opposite with Polycarbonate, of all the filaments and brands that I have tried, PC-max is the easiest to remove, just pull it (trust me, you wont break your print).
Also, remember that printing slow and preheating the chamber are mandatory. Also, I forgot to mention these settings:

First layer height: 0.1mm
Gap between raft and model: 0.1mm (probably 0.8mm works better)
**XY movement: 35 mm/s (Very important!, the default speed is 100 mm/s, I slow it down to avoid hitting the model).

I have successfully printed much bigger parts, just be sure to set your buildplate to 110, cooler than that and you will be constantly battling rafts peeling off the plate.

One last thing: I apply a little amount of lube to the spool holder. It works surprisingly well, the spool rolls with minimum effort thus easing the work of the feeder.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:26 am

Thanks so much for you test, support and sharing as always! :)
Your result is amazing!

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 pm

I was just researching this material to print quad racing drone parts for it durability. What's the difference between Polymaker PC-Max and Polymax-pla as far as toughness ? And can I use my brass stock nozzle?
Raise 3D N2 Dual purchased Aug 9th 2016

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:35 am

Helipilot wrote:I was just researching this material to print quad racing drone parts for it durability. What's the difference between Polymaker PC-Max and Polymax-pla as far as toughness ? And can I use my brass stock nozzle?

I have used both materials. Polymax-PLA have a high impact resistance because it can be deformed way more than regular PLA. BUT here is the big backlash: in order to have a strong part made of PolyMax it MUST be a closed volume, what I mean is that if you print a sphere or something like that, it will be strong, but if you print something straight like a bearing or an arch, it will wobble.
In the other hand, Polymaker PC-Max does not give a sh*t about whatever geometry you print, it will be strong, always. But I dont recommend printing very large things with it. Printing at 260 deg and 110 bed is not very healthy for the printed, I ought to keep my prints bellow the 10 hrs mark.

Regarding the nozzle; I have a regular one (the original one), I have no problems at all. Just a final recomendation, dont let the PC filament too long inside of a heated extruder; when you preheat the chamber, heat just the plate. heat the extruder just before printing, and after printing, let the extruder cool down before turning off your printer, other ways the filament may charcoal inside of the nozzle and you definitely don't want that to happen.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:57 am

Mecha_Monster wrote:
Helipilot wrote:I was just researching this material to print quad racing drone parts for it durability. What's the difference between Polymaker PC-Max and Polymax-pla as far as toughness ? And can I use my brass stock nozzle?

I have used both materials. Polymax-PLA have a high impact resistance because it can be deformed way more than regular PLA. BUT here is the big backlash: in order to have a strong part made of PolyMax it MUST be a closed volume, what I mean is that if you print a sphere or something like that, it will be strong, but if you print something straight like a bearing or an arch, it will wobble.
In the other hand, Polymaker PC-Max does not give a sh*t about whatever geometry you print, it will be strong, always. But I dont recommend printing very large things with it. Printing at 260 deg and 110 bed is not very healthy for the printed, I ought to keep my prints bellow the 10 hrs mark.

Regarding the nozzle; I have a regular one (the original one), I have no problems at all. Just a final recomendation, dont let the PC filament too long inside of a heated extruder; when you preheat the chamber, heat just the plate. heat the extruder just before printing, and after printing, let the extruder cool down before turning off your printer, other ways the filament may charcoal inside of the nozzle and you definitely don't want that to happen.

Great advice. I'll get PC a try. I always get concerned printing new material and clogging up my printer. The only way I change my filaments to date is cutting the material at the top of the extruder and feed new material right behind it avoiding pulling the filament out through the cold end.

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Helipilot wrote:
Great advice. I'll get PC a try. I always get concerned printing new material and clogging up my printer. The only way I change my filaments to date is cutting the material at the top of the extruder and feed new material right behind it avoiding pulling the filament out through the cold end.

That's exactly what I do. I prefer to waste a little ammount of material than risk to a clog. Anyhow, be aware that PC, being a high temp filament, is trickier to swept: If going from a low temp filament (PLA) to a high temp (PC), dont attempt to rise to much the temperature, Polymaker PC can be extruded even at 240 deg. I set my machine to 245-250, which is on the upper range of the PLA and very low to the PC

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:39 am

Mecha_Monster wrote:
Helipilot wrote:

That's exactly what I do. I prefer to waste a little ammount of material than risk to a clog. Anyhow, be aware that PC, being a high temp filament, is trickier to swept: If going from a low temp filament (PLA) to a high temp (PC), dont attempt to rise to much the temperature, Polymaker PC can be extruded even at 240 deg. I set my machine to 245-250, which is on the upper range of the PLA and very low to the PC

Cool. Gonna order some PC today. Thanks again!

Return to “General”