I will receive my Batch 1 Super Earlybird N2 this week. What do I need to know?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
EL Cuajinais

I will receive my Batch 1 Super Earlybird N2 this week. What do I need to know?

Postby EL Cuajinais » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:52 pm

For unimportant reasons, I will receive my Super Early Bird N2 this week. (Not the fault of the Raise3d Team). I’ve been out of touch with developments for the past 3 months and so have many questions.

Can I expect to print my 3rd party PLA and ABS with my V1 nozzle?

Is the V2 upgrade worth it or should I wait for a V3 or wait for additional upgrades to become available to save on shipping?
I’m interested in printing with Ninjaflex and Alloy 910 but am not in a hurry.

Do I need to make corrections to the bed to re-level it?
I remember a danger of something shorting. I’m especially interested in having a nice, fixed, leveled bed.

Can I perform the same upgrades that the batch 3 and 4 machines have to the bed? A large, fixed, level bed was the #1 reason I backed this Kickstarter and it looks like I’m getting the short end of the stick because the Batch 1 beds are not as level.

Those are the first questions that come to mind but I’m sure there are probably a lot of issues I’m not aware of. Can I please get a primer on what I've missed? Thanks.

jmp

Re: I will receive my Batch 1 Super Earlybird N2 this week. What do I need to know?

Postby jmp » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 pm

--- Users experience seem that ABS is probably OK (I personally haven't printed ABS) and that 3rd party PLA is going to be real dicey (I have had 100% failure rate with non-raise 3d PLA), assuming no warranty voiding hacking on your part.

Is the V2 upgrade worth it or should I wait for a V3 or wait for additional upgrades to become available to save on shipping?
--- V2 hasn't been out in the wild yet so no real world testing but my sense is it will be a necessary upgrade, particularly if you want to use other brands of PLA. Have no hint of a V3.

I remember a danger of something shorting. I’m especially interested in having a nice, fixed, leveled bed.
--- Hope you bed is leveled when you get it. If it isn't I would personally suggest not touching it until you get replacement nylon tipped screws to replace it. Several beds have shorted out so I don't think it is worth the risk (personally my printer is on hiatus until I get them, but I have the luxury of other printers).

Can I perform the same upgrades that the batch 3 and 4 machines have to the bed?
--- Don't know.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

Duplicat

Re: I will receive my Batch 1 Super Earlybird N2 this week. What do I need to know?

Postby Duplicat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:05 am

deleted
Last edited by Duplicat on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:16 am

--Certain 3rd party PLA and ABS is fine. However, it is subject to which supplier your filament is from.

--Not likely there will be a V3 soon. We are pretty happy with V2 so far and it prints all the 3rd party filaments we throw at it. V2 is verified with NinjiaFlex by us and one of our customer prints Alloy 910 with V2 and has no problems.

--Check the leveling of the bed first. If you are ok with it, then you don't need to do any leveling. If not, we will send nylon tip screws with your next order to you for free. You can swap in the nylon tip screws first and then level. We have instructions on our wiki.

Can I perform the same upgrades that the batch 3 and 4 machines have to the bed? A large, fixed, level bed was the #1 reason I backed this Kickstarter and it looks like I’m getting the short end of the stick because the Batch 1 beds are not as level.
--Check the bed first and if it is not level to your standard, we will help you to upgrade the screws and also leveling.

Fung

Postby Fung » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:30 am

I printed Alloy 910 with success. There is no problem printing it but you will have to take care of bed adhesion problem since it didnt stick to Buildtak. I used Elmer's glue and it improved the adhesion but didnt look entirely safe for me.

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Will check the bed once I finally get it.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:25 pm

John@Raise3D wrote:Can I expect to print my 3rd party PLA and ABS with my V1 nozzle?
--Certain 3rd party PLA and ABS is fine. However, it is subject to which supplier your filament is from.

--Not likely there will be a V3 soon. We are pretty happy with V2 so far and it prints all the 3rd party filaments we throw at it. V2 is verified with NinjiaFlex by us and one of our customer prints Alloy 910 with V2 and has no problems.

--Check the leveling of the bed first. If you are ok with it, then you don't need to do any leveling. If not, we will send nylon tip screws with your next order to you for free. You can swap in the nylon tip screws first and then level. We have instructions on our wiki.

--Check the bed first and if it is not level to your standard, we will help you to upgrade the screws and also leveling.

Sorry John... non-optimal info in that reply!
On the question about your bed level...
Your SEB N2 has a problem which needs to be addressed and if not addressed could in time cause damage. You will have to replace the upward facing lock screws that are in the nine locations on the Z shelf that the bed attaches to. As you may have seen on the forum these screws have sharp edges and DO eat through the fish paper spacer/insulators R3D put in there. I believe you can use the printer and you can easily shim it level with postit notes, but you will want to replace the screws as soon as you can. Look at the wiki on their website. If you desire more control over leveling you can modify the bed quite easily to allow you to level it as most other 3D printers are leveled.
See... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1409412
I do not recommend moding anything right away though. I always like to get the feel of a machine first then mod later.

Note to John... you guys have still not addressed the vulnerability of the exposed solder points and edge leads which could short out the bed.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:21 am

Andy Cohen wrote:
John@Raise3D wrote:Can I expect to print my 3rd party PLA and ABS with my V1 nozzle?

Sorry John... non-optimal info in that reply!
On the question about your bed level...
Your SEB N2 has a problem which needs to be addressed and if not addressed could in time cause damage. You will have to replace the upward facing lock screws that are in the nine locations on the Z shelf that the bed attaches to. As you may have seen on the forum these screws have sharp edges and DO eat through the fish paper spacer/insulators R3D put in there. I believe you can use the printer and you can easily shim it level with postit notes, but you will want to replace the screws as soon as you can. Look at the wiki on their website. If you desire more control over leveling you can modify the bed quite easily to allow you to level it as most other 3D printers are leveled.
See... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1409412
I do not recommend moding anything right away though. I always like to get the feel of a machine first then mod later.

Note to John... you guys have still not addressed the vulnerability of the exposed solder points and edge leads which could short out the bed.

You are right. Here is the leveling instruction.
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/bed-leveling-instruction
Here is the first paragraph of this instruction.
#Warning: Bed leveling is not recommended by the company. If you want to level your bed by yourself, please make sure you have changed you screws to the latest nylon tip screws(for KS batch 1,2,3 users). Or you may damaged the whole heated bed. Please follow this instruction to change the screws.
We will make a separate post later to address the solder points issue. Thanks for reminding.

Return to “General”