Carbon filament & nozzle combination for Raise3D Pro2 (Plus)

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
innoprint

Carbon filament & nozzle combination for Raise3D Pro2 (Plus)

Postby innoprint » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:30 am

Hi there!

I was trying to get running a Nylon / Carbon filament on my Raise3D Pro2 Plus, but without success within one month (https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 459#p59459).

Now I‘m interested in users feedbacks, which are successful in printing carbon filaments on Raise3D Pro2 printers. Of course I would also appreciate Raise3D‘s official statement.

Let‘s focus on the following questions in this post:
  • What combination nozzle / carbon filaments are successful used out in the production field with Raise3D Pro2 Plus printers?
  • Do you have experience in high temperature applications 120°C+ (I‘m working on heater adapters)?

I‘m wondering about your success and learning stories and maybe some pictures of your nice prints. :-)

Paul123

Re: Carbon filament & nozzle combination for Raise3D Pro2 (Plus)

Postby Paul123 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi,
I have very good results with CarbonFil from Formfutura. It prints with extremely perfect surfaces with a matte silky finish, is very strong, lightweight and absolutely perfect. BUT: I experienced poor layer adhesion of the top and bottom layer. The bottom to printbed adhesion is good, but the layers on the outside of the printed object have a tendency to peal off if mechanically stressed. i tried to champfer the corners, but it still may happen. I also tried higher temperature and different flowrates and speeds for first and secend and also the last two layers, but still keeps this pealing tendency. as described it only happens when you stress your object with a kind of "peeling movement" across the side surface. as long as you can deal with this fact its a perfect and relatively easy printable material.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:37 am

innoprint wrote:Hi there!

I was trying to get running a Nylon / Carbon filament on my Raise3D Pro2 Plus, but without success within one month (https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 459#p59459).

Now I‘m interested in users feedbacks, which are successful in printing carbon filaments on Raise3D Pro2 printers. Of course I would also appreciate Raise3D‘s official statement.

Let‘s focus on the following questions in this post:
  • What combination nozzle / carbon filaments are successful used out in the production field with Raise3D Pro2 Plus printers?
  • Do you have experience in high temperature applications 120°C+ (I‘m working on heater adapters)?

I‘m wondering about your success and learning stories and maybe some pictures of your nice prints. :-)

Any type of Nylon can be a tricky and advanced material to print. It is definitely important to ensure that when you are printing Nylons that you dry the material and also keep it dry while printing. For materials that have additives, I would suggest checking the filament manufacturers specifications as to what size nozzle they recommend using.

innoprint

Postby innoprint » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:21 am

Paul123 wrote:Hi,
I have very good results with CarbonFil from Formfutura. It prints with extremely perfect surfaces with a matte silky finish, is very strong, lightweight and absolutely perfect. BUT: I experienced poor layer adhesion of the top and bottom layer. The bottom to printbed adhesion is good, but the layers on the outside of the printed object have a tendency to peal off if mechanically stressed. i tried to champfer the corners, but it still may happen. I also tried higher temperature and different flowrates and speeds for first and secend and also the last two layers, but still keeps this pealing tendency. as described it only happens when you stress your object with a kind of "peeling movement" across the side surface. as long as you can deal with this fact its a perfect and relatively easy printable material.

Thanks Paul123 for your feedback. Which filament and Raise3D Pro2 profile do you use exactly and is it high temperature compatible => 120°C+?

innoprint

Postby innoprint » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:29 am

Steven@Raise3D wrote:Any type of Nylon can be a tricky and advanced material to print. It is definitely important to ensure that when you are printing Nylons that you dry the material and also keep it dry while printing. For materials that have additives, I would suggest checking the filament manufacturers specifications as to what size nozzle they recommend using.

Thank you Steven@Raise3D for your feedback.

I try to address the trying requirement from the first day of printing with the lovely Raise3D Pro2 Plus and I use the following approach based on the official Raise3D dealer suggestion:

Is this adequate?

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:26 pm

innoprint wrote:
Steven@Raise3D wrote:Any type of Nylon can be a tricky and advanced material to print. It is definitely important to ensure that when you are printing Nylons that you dry the material and also keep it dry while printing. For materials that have additives, I would suggest checking the filament manufacturers specifications as to what size nozzle they recommend using.

Thank you Steven@Raise3D for your feedback.

I try to address the trying requirement from the first day of printing with the lovely Raise3D Pro2 Plus and I use the following approach based on the official Raise3D dealer suggestion:

Is this adequate?

Depending on the environment that the machine is in will determine if the filament will need to be stored in a dry box or not while printing. If you are in a pretty dry environment where there isn't a lot of moisture in the air you should be okay to run the filament out of the printer like normal. However, if you are in a relatively humid environment where there is a lot of moisture in their air you may need to look into drybox's in order to keep the filament dry while printing. In this case, we typically would recommend running the filament directly out of a printdry or polybox.

Return to “General”