How thick can a layer be?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Vagulus

How thick can a layer be?

Postby Vagulus » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:52 pm

I have a Pro2 using 0.4 mm nozzles and a project where (as usual) production speed is very important. Obviously, the fewer laps of the layer required to build a given height the more items can be produced in a given time. This raises the question, "How thick can a layer be?"

As ever wary of simple answers, however, I also have to wonder, "Does printing at an unusually high layer thickness create other issues? Do I have to alter flowrates and extrusion width percentages?"

Advice and experiences (rueful or otherwise :shock: ) will be much appreciated.
--------------------------------------------
God so loved the World that
He did not send a Committee

zemlin

Re: How thick can a layer be?

Postby zemlin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:59 pm

I generally go no more than 50% of the nozzle diameter, especially where there is overhang. I can't say I've run test prints with a very thick layer, but if layer bonding is important to you, it doesn't seem like a good idea. I could be wrong.

Larger nozzles make a huge difference in print speed.

I have a large build coming up and I plan to use a .8mm nozzle and a .3mm layer. It has a fair bit of overhang, so staying below 50% is beneficial for that. The projected build time is 65 hours and it will use 3KG of material.

If I were to use a .4mm nozzle and keep the layer height proportional for the same overhang integrity, the build time is projected to be 262 hours burning 2.5KG of material, but consider the walls are half as thick as with the .8mm nozzle. If I double the number of shells and top/bottom layers to match the wall thickness between the parts the build time goes to 284 hours and uses 2.86KG - so pretty similar weight to the part with .8mm nozzle, but I can make 4 parts with the .8mm nozzle in the time I can run 1 with the .4 nozzle.

If you want to build big parts faster, get larger nozzles.

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 am

I'm using 0.4 mm nozzles and 0.3 mm layer so I am over your suggested limit but there is no apparent problem with this item. I don't think I can realistically go up to even a 0.6 nozzle because of the width of the model (approx 2 mm).

What do you think?
Attachments
covid19_headband_rc3.stl
(729.57 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:11 am

What material are you running? I could run a couple test parts to see how they build. I think it looks fine with a .6mm nozzle. Based on what I can see here, PETG would be my material of choice.

Capture.JPG

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:02 am

I'm just prototyping in PLA but the recommended material for these is PETG :)

Thanks for the assessment on 0.6 mm nozzles.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:53 am

I'll be able to run a test print this evening.
I'm able to fit three of these on the N2 print bed, and it looks like I can run the build in under 4 hours without pushing the speed (60 mm/s), .6mm nozzle, .3mm layer.
Capture.JPG

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:50 am

That sounds great. Please don't go out of your way with a test print.
Check this out. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12320501
You might like to get something going where you are if it helps.
Code at https://www.prusa3d.com/covid19/

Thanks for your help.
Stay well ;)

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:05 am

I ran one piece with the settings above. I set the extrusion width to .63mm as that eliminated the gap between shells and didn't require any fill. Printed one part in about 1 hour 20 minutes. It isn't the prettiest part I've ever made, but it looks perfectly functional, and the integrity seems great. Looking into running shields for the local community - just trying to find the right contact.

I like the DTM V3.0 mask - looks like it's only going to take a few more minutes to run, but provides better protection.
Capture.JPG

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:10 am

I'll look into that.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:39 am

Just did a few slices on that one - that one looks like a candidate for a .8mm nozzle - run time might drop below an hour.

Return to “General”