RaiseCloud Configuration and Workflow for "Virtual School"

danderson

RaiseCloud Configuration and Workflow for "Virtual School"

Postby danderson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:30 pm

So I have RaiseCloud set up on five machines and things seem to be working pretty well:

1 x N2 Plus with Bondtech, camera, and filament runout upgrades, modified to left extruder only 0.8mm
2 x Pro2, left extruder changed to 0.8mm but mostly stock
2 x E2, stock

Normally they are all at my school in the lab, but as the lab and school are closed they are all at my house. I have been running PPE and other prints with good results and no issues running through the cloud.

Over this summer, and possibly for the fall, we are looking at running "virtual classes" that would have access to these printers. Students would remotely generate STL models for printing and then send them to the cloud for printing.

Current Workflow: Students prepare a .STL file and email it to me. I review it for printability and confirm any key printing properties (normally color, but occasionally material choice or other property request). I slice using the appropriate settings and send it to the RaiseCloud. I then queue it to the appropriate printer that is ready and loaded with the appropriate material.

Proposed Workflow: Students prepare a .STL file and slice it on their own using their own settings. Students then send the .gcode file to the RaiseCloud using their own account, ideally directly through Ideamaker. I review for prinability, then I queue the files to the appropriate printer once I load the correct material.

I have a few questions about how this workflow may function:

1) If students upload their model to RaiseCloud directly from Ideamaker, I don't think that I would have access to those files. I think the student has to perform an additional step. I am not sure what this step would be, but I am thinking that completing a work order would be best. That way they can put in all the info that I would need to configure the machine for the correct material loaded into the correct extruder.

2) I still want some way to preview the file before it is printed. I know that I use the Gcode previewer on my own files, but I don't see a way to use the Gcode previewer on files that are in a work order. I guess I could download it and use my own gcode viewer, but that seems tedious.

3) I can't see a way to prevent students from being able to send a file directly to a printer for printing. I want to control the workflow to make sure that the right printers are used with the right materials.

4) I can't think of a way to use the same .gcode file for the different printers (maybe N2 and Pro2 can share, but not the E2). So students would need to select a printer type at the time of slicing. I may need to then help them narrow down which printers should be used for what type of job (example: N2 only runs PETG, E2 only PLA, etc.)

I am open to thoughts or ideas on a better way to do this. I don't need to use the work order process, but I want some way that students can include requests for color, material type, and which extruder to use along with their file.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: RaiseCloud Configuration and Workflow for "Virtual School"

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!
We'd like to move on and ask for more details related to some of your suggestions.
Would you like to advise your email address via PM or contact us directly through <raisecloud@raise3d.com>?

danderson

Postby danderson » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:46 pm

PM sent to Vicky@Raise3D

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:25 am

Would you like to send me PM again? I didn't see your meessage in my Inbox.

danderson

Postby danderson » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:03 pm

PM sent again to Vicky@Raise3D

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:36 pm

Got it this time. Thank you for sharing your information!

Return to “RaiseCloud”