Incomplete print/unable to load filament

gbc_3dp

Incomplete print/unable to load filament

Postby gbc_3dp » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:49 pm

Good morning

I walked into the lab this morning to check on a print I had started yesterday (which started fine) and saw that it didn't complete the print at all, despite the printer itself saying that it had.

I saw no real issues on the model itself (other than the ironing layer on a part was incomplete), there wasn't any globs or mess or stringing either. When I checked the filament, I could pull it right out, like the extruder gear wasn't catching it.

I tried loading it and just got a grinding thumping sound and it wouldn't catch the filament at all. Not sure what I should be checking for here.
What are my next steps?

Thanks!

ccclarke

Re: Incomplete print/unable to load filament

Postby ccclarke » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 pm

You might have more than one issue, so it's best to start by checking the load path.

To verify the extruder is operating, start the Load sequence. While the print head is heating up, loosen the adjustment thumbscrew and open the extruder side cover. Inspect the hob gear for filament debris; use a can of compressed air to blow it out if necessary.

When the printer reaches the specified load temperature, continue to the point where you would manually feed the filament in and ensure the hob gear turns. (It most likely is if you were hearing clicking noises - that's the hob hear slipping on stuck filament and abrading.)

If everything looks good so far, close the cover, feed the filament into the top, and slowly tighten the extruder tension screw until the filament begins to be pulled into the extruder.

If you hear clicking, the filament is being munched by the hob gear. The tension is either too tight, or the filament path to the heater block is blocked, indicating the root problem is air printing due to heat creep.

If you suspect the filament path is blocked, manually heat the print head to whatever temperature is appropriate for the filament last used. Use the supplied steel rod to try to move as much melted filament that has pooled in the print head out via the nozzle. If the rod stops short of the top of the print head, you likely have a blocked throat tube, (located on top of the heater block with a heat sink attached.)

To make it easier to locate a blockage, align the rod with the exterior of the filament path from the top of the runout sensor to the top quater of the heater block. Place a piece of tape on the top of the rod indicating when the lower end is even with the top 3/4 of the heater block to determine the precise location of the top of a clog.

Once you know where the blockage starts, (or at least the top of the filament trapped inside is located) you'll need to drop the print head from the collet clamp, cut the filament above the throat tube, and pull any remaining filament through the bottom of the filament path.

Hope this helps.

CC
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Return to “Pro2 Series”