Pro2 Plus Filament Getting Stuck

htdeen

Pro2 Plus Filament Getting Stuck

Postby htdeen » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:06 pm

Hello, I am having a problem with the left extruder on my Pro2 Plus. When I load filament, the first little bit extrudes fine, then I hear a loud motor noise like the extruder motor is slipping, then it will not extrude any more filament. If I push the filament from the top by hand, it will extrude, but I can tell I am doing all the work and the extruder motor is not helping. When I go to unload the filament the end of the piece in the extruder is larger than the original diameter of the filament and usually gets stuck in the area just above the extruder wheels. It looks like one section of the filament has been melted and squeezed, and the rest looks like the extruder wheels have bitten into it a little bit. I have posted a picture of what my filament looks like after it has been in the extruder if that helps. Thank you for your help in advance!
Attachments
u.jpg

Labirynt

Re: Pro2 Plus Filament Getting Stuck

Postby Labirynt » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:46 pm

htdeen wrote:Hello, I am having a problem with the left extruder on my Pro2 Plus. When I load filament, the first little bit extrudes fine, then I hear a loud motor noise like the extruder motor is slipping, then it will not extrude any more filament. If I push the filament from the top by hand, it will extrude, but I can tell I am doing all the work and the extruder motor is not helping. When I go to unload the filament the end of the piece in the extruder is larger than the original diameter of the filament and usually gets stuck in the area just above the extruder wheels. It looks like one section of the filament has been melted and squeezed, and the rest looks like the extruder wheels have bitten into it a little bit. I have posted a picture of what my filament looks like after it has been in the extruder if that helps. Thank you for your help in advance!

try to clean nozzle - probably something is blocking hole.

htdeen

Postby htdeen » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:56 pm

I tried cleaning with the included cleaning rod, but no help. Any other ways I could clean the nozzle?

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:14 am

htdeen wrote:Hello, I am having a problem with the left extruder on my Pro2 Plus. When I load filament, the first little bit extrudes fine, then I hear a loud motor noise like the extruder motor is slipping, then it will not extrude any more filament. If I push the filament from the top by hand, it will extrude, but I can tell I am doing all the work and the extruder motor is not helping. When I go to unload the filament the end of the piece in the extruder is larger than the original diameter of the filament and usually gets stuck in the area just above the extruder wheels. It looks like one section of the filament has been melted and squeezed, and the rest looks like the extruder wheels have bitten into it a little bit. I have posted a picture of what my filament looks like after it has been in the extruder if that helps. Thank you for your help in advance!

Please follow this guide to locate and remove the jam in the printhead: https://support.raise3d.com/Pro2-Series ... 4-387.html

Labirynt

Postby Labirynt » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:37 am

htdeen wrote:I tried cleaning with the included cleaning rod, but no help. Any other ways I could clean the nozzle?

you can try atomic pull (it's hard to do it on pro2), cleaning with rod from Raise and acupuncture needle for nozzle output. Cleaning should follow on higher temperature, than was material extruded...

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:00 pm

I had this problem weekly (pulling, scraping out, cleaning with rods and having to even use a drill with bit to get some of it out), until I did the mod in this thread: https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=16207 Something to note is that if you do this, you need to have the silicone covers on the hot ends, as they'll have trouble heating up with the extra air flow over the blocks (at least at asa temps, 260C).

The heat creeps up, and a thin "shell" forms around the filament, jamming it. Then the extruder gears chew out the filament as your photo shows. Trying to unload it sometimes makes the jam worse. It's doubtful your nozzle is "clogged" unless it's quite old and the same plastic has been baking in it for a long time without being moved through. None of our clogging issues have been traced to anything but plastic moving up past the cooling fins.

htdeen

Postby htdeen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:12 pm

Update: I pretty much removed and cleaned every part of the extruder assembly, which was probably overdue anyway, and also removed the nozzles and cleaned them. It turns out that that's where the clog was. I put the nozzles in a small vise and used a heat gun to get them hot, then used a thin electronics utensil to purge the nozzles by hand. I have been having other issues with the printer that have kept me from completing a print, but now the nozzles flow perfectly at least. I may end up having to do mods eventually, but we will see. Thank you for all the replies!

Return to “Pro2 Series”