Pro2 - Strange Heat Up Behavior

NHBB

Pro2 - Strange Heat Up Behavior

Postby NHBB » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:07 pm

Hello,

I am using a Pro2 and have noticed some strange behavior on heatup. I am not sure if this is an ideamaker issue, a Pro2 issue, or both.

Here's an example: I'm using the right extruder only, and have it set to heat the bed and nozzle simultaneously (setting the bed to heat up first does not seem to have any effect on what happens, which might be related). What happens is the left, right, and bed start heating up as expected to the specified temperature. Then shortly into this process the left nozzle and bed get set to 0, and the right nozzle continues until at temp. At this point the bed then kicks in and starts heating up again (finally!). This ends up wasting a huge amount of time as the bed takes a very long time to heat up (105C for ASA in this case). The gcode would not suggest this should happen, so I think that this is some kind of override in the Pro2 firmware itself, perhaps having to do with the nozzle switching (both nozzles must be up to temp to switch, and the machine doesn't know which side is down at any given time). It seems ideamaker is not creating the correct switching conditions, so the firmware takes control?

gcode ideamaker inserts for right only print:
M140 S105.00
M104 T1 S260.00
M109 T1 S260.00
T1
M190 S105.00

for both (set a skirt to the left while printing otherwise with right):
M140 S105.00
M104 T0 S260.00
M104 T1 S260.00
M109 T0 S260.00
M109 T1 S260.00
T0
M190 S105.00

for left only:
M140 S105.00
M104 T0 S260.00
M109 T0 S260.00
T0
M190 S105.00

For the left and right, it doesn't set code to heat the other nozzle at all, or to stop the bed heating, but the Pro2 heats up both nozzles anyway, and sometimes the table is zeroed out until this is achieved. Manually moving the nozzle up/down seems to change this behavior sometimes, but not other times.

Labirynt

Re: Pro2 - Strange Heat Up Behavior

Postby Labirynt » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:48 pm

NHBB wrote:Hello,

I am using a Pro2 and have noticed some strange behavior on heatup. I am not sure if this is an ideamaker issue, a Pro2 issue, or both.

Here's an example: I'm using the right extruder only, and have it set to heat the bed and nozzle simultaneously (setting the bed to heat up first does not seem to have any effect on what happens, which might be related). What happens is the left, right, and bed start heating up as expected to the specified temperature. Then shortly into this process the left nozzle and bed get set to 0, and the right nozzle continues until at temp. At this point the bed then kicks in and starts heating up again (finally!). This ends up wasting a huge amount of time as the bed takes a very long time to heat up (105C for ASA in this case). The gcode would not suggest this should happen, so I think that this is some kind of override in the Pro2 firmware itself, perhaps having to do with the nozzle switching (both nozzles must be up to temp to switch, and the machine doesn't know which side is down at any given time). It seems ideamaker is not creating the correct switching conditions, so the firmware takes control?

gcode ideamaker inserts for right only print:
M140 S105.00
M104 T1 S260.00
M109 T1 S260.00
T1
M190 S105.00

for both (set a skirt to the left while printing otherwise with right):
M140 S105.00
M104 T0 S260.00
M104 T1 S260.00
M109 T0 S260.00
M109 T1 S260.00
T0
M190 S105.00

for left only:
M140 S105.00
M104 T0 S260.00
M109 T0 S260.00
T0
M190 S105.00

For the left and right, it doesn't set code to heat the other nozzle at all, or to stop the bed heating, but the Pro2 heats up both nozzles anyway, and sometimes the table is zeroed out until this is achieved. Manually moving the nozzle up/down seems to change this behavior sometimes, but not other times.

At first print after power up machine, always both heads are heated. Because machine doesn't know, which head is active, and to activate head, nozzle should be hot.

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:00 pm

I agree, but it has a strange way of doing it. Why not heat nozzle 1, 2, and the bed all together?

Here is what it did earlier on a left-only print:

-1, 2, bed all heating until some unknown point
-2 heating only, 1 and bed turned off (why bed off??)
-2 gets to max, then bed starts up again with 2 staying on
-Bed max, 2 max, nozzles switch (1 is now cool so why would it switch when cool?)
-2 off, 1 on, bed maxxed and on (now we wait for 1 to go from fairly cool all the way up again)
-1 max, bed max, now printer zeros and starts the print

This weird process switching around a number of times which part is heating wastes a lot of time, instead of just heating all 3 up to temp, switching nozzles, turning off an unused nozzle if needed, and then printing. The gcode has nothing to do with this as far as I can tell.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:04 am

NHBB wrote:I agree, but it has a strange way of doing it. Why not heat nozzle 1, 2, and the bed all together?

Here is what it did earlier on a left-only print:

-1, 2, bed all heating until some unknown point
-2 heating only, 1 and bed turned off (why bed off??)
-2 gets to max, then bed starts up again with 2 staying on
-Bed max, 2 max, nozzles switch (1 is now cool so why would it switch when cool?)
-2 off, 1 on, bed maxxed and on (now we wait for 1 to go from fairly cool all the way up again)
-1 max, bed max, now printer zeros and starts the print

This weird process switching around a number of times which part is heating wastes a lot of time, instead of just heating all 3 up to temp, switching nozzles, turning off an unused nozzle if needed, and then printing. The gcode has nothing to do with this as far as I can tell.

Would you be able to provide us with a short video of this behavior? Also can you please provide the latest serial log from the machine?

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:16 pm

I may have to do a new print and see if it does it this time, then get the log as there have been other things run in the meantime, with filament running out. As for a video, it would be a 30-40 minute video at least so that isn't really possible. The behavior I listed out is exactly as it happens, although I could perhaps put some numbers to how long each step is taking.

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:05 pm

I graphed out what the printer is doing, and marked where the nozzles switch and the print starts. The bed turns off for a few minutes around 4 minutes in, maybe adding 3 minutes to the time till print. You can see hot end 1 turns off and is cool by the 22 minute mark where the swapping occurs. It seems strange that it doesn't swap nozzles at around 5 minutes when both are up to temperature. When switching manually the software requires both hot ends heated up before it will let you. I will work on getting the serial log (I assume there is an export option in the menu somewhere?)

Heat Up Tracking Pro2 Graph.jpg

Return to “Pro2 Series”