Pro 2 Plus Z-Axil faliure

Ralle001

Pro 2 Plus Z-Axil faliure

Postby Ralle001 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:27 am

Hey,

I was using my Pro 2 Plus printer a few days ago and it was working. Now when I start a print the Z-Axil doesn't go to home at all. If I stop the print I can lower or higher the Z-Axil. I check all the cables and they seem fine for me. Also I did update to the latest firmwares.

ccclarke

Re: Pro 2 Plus Z-Axil faliure

Postby ccclarke » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:47 am

Manually lower the build plate half-way through its Z travel and then command it to home. As soon as it begins to rise, place a business card (or opaque equivalent) into the optical Z sensor slot and verify that the build plate stops. If it doesn't, you have a Z home sensor-related problem.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Ralle001

Postby Ralle001 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:21 am

ccclarke wrote:Manually lower the build plate half-way through its Z travel and then command it to home. As soon as it begins to rise, place a business card (or opaque equivalent) into the optical Z sensor slot and verify that the build plate stops. If it doesn't, you have a Z home sensor-related problem.

Thank you, but the Z-Axis stops when I manually lower it and send it to home. It looks good, only when I start printing the Z-Axis doesnt move at all

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:41 pm

OK, so what you are implying is that the printer is NOT following the printing gcode.
That's not a good starting point in troubleshooting.
Again, the basics, this is a 2 board control system. The front panel raisetouch is a print server streaming gcode with a user interface for limited manual commands. That then sends streamed gcode commands- either from the print file or from the user interface over USB and a serial connection to the motion control board that is actually running the hardware of the printer.
By basic analysis, if you can move (jog) the Z axis in BOTH up and down directions, and command and observe a home command function of the Z axis, then the motion board is working as expected and this is a gcode problem in the print file.

It's an either/or
Either, you have a bad homing switch that is stuck closed, and therefore the bed will only move down and cannot home up because the switch is telling it that it's homed.
OR
You have a gcode problem in the print file that does not contain correct information or commands for Z moves.

Again, one is a test you say you have performed
The other is posting the offending gcode file for examination.
Last edited by Jetguy on Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:58 pm

If the bed can be moved up and down via the raistouch manual jogging commands- again both up and down- motion control is working.
If the bed only moves down and not up or cannot be homed up and reach the home position- suspected Z homing/limit switch stuck or failed.
In a Pro2 it's an "optical" switch, but again, the motion board doesn't care what the switch is, just status. If the switch is failed or stuck it's failed.

If a print file doesn't work- with Z axis motion but homing and jogging with the control panel raisetouch works- then suspected gcode print file issue not the printer.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:18 pm

The Z axis does have a motor to shaft coupler https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=4268#p20717 just like X an Y axis, and sure, that coupler could break.
The idea is that if manual jogging works via the raisetouch panel- then probably not the coupler.
If the axis moves wonky- example one direction but not the other and has odd clicking sound- the sound of a failed coupler- then yes, a broken coupler could cause moving in one direction and not the other, but.. the big difference, the motor is moving, the screw is not VS the motor not moving because the control board thinks a limit switch is tripped.

Return to “Pro2 Series”