pro 2 is not extruding

matrhode

pro 2 is not extruding

Postby matrhode » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Hello everyone. We have a Raise3d Pro 2 here at work. This past Monday we had run a long running print over night, and it failed. It was an array of 256 small parts. What appeared halfway through the print was a layer shift, and then the parts failed. The print was running Raise ABS. At one point, another co-worker saw the mess, and stopped the print via the touch pad, and walked away, so the printer cooled down on its own.

After we cleaned up the machine the next morning, we did a simple tear down on the left extruder to clear out any clogs using the guide posted on Raise's website. After we put it all back together, we re-loaded the filament, got it feed out of the nozzle during a purge while loading. We then proceeded to run a new print, here is where it gets strange. The printer will go through all the motions as it needs, but its either clicking at the extruder motor, or it extrudes a small amount and then just stops extruding while the X and Y continue as they should, this causes clogs at the nozzle. We have updated so far, cleared the left side extruder, 3 times, reset the factory settings, and updated the firmware to the latest on the website download page. Also just for giggles, we switched to the RIGHT extruder and re-sliced the file, and we got the same results.

ccclarke

Re: pro 2 is not extruding

Postby ccclarke » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:21 pm

You may have more than one problem.

1. Inspect the flex couplings on the X and Y shafts; this could be the cause of your layer shift.
2. Depending on how many miles you have on the printer, there may be debris in the extruder gear from any grinding. Visually inspect; clean as necessary.
3. Visually inspect the fans for proper operation. One missing blade can cause issues - especially on the main/center fan.
4. Load PLA and evaluate performance with a simple four-sided cube. If it clogs, the heat sink on the nozzle may not be adjusted properly. Pro2's in stock form are susceptible to heat creep and the resulting clog if the heater block component alignment is even slightly out of tolerance.
5. Ensure the extruder tension is optimal. Too loose or too tight and problems are inevitable.
6. Ensure the ABS filament has not absorbed any moisture. Measure the diameter in multiple locations.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

willrsawyer

Postby willrsawyer » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Everything already said -- I'll re-emphasize from my personal experience, that I've had a lot of heat creep issues -- I've had the center fan die twice and one of the part fans die. One of the tricky things is that they don't necessarily fully stop all at once -- they can either continue to operate but at a lower RPM than required for proper airflow, or they can intermittently have issues starting up. My center fan continued to work *okay* for a while but it need a manual kick start (I needed to flick it) to get it moving initially.

I also think there are some standing issues with the Pro2 airflow configuration, because it's using axial fans (which have low air pressure, and therefore struggle if there's any back pressure), the center fan has a duct that narrows its output so steeply that it creates back pressure, and then it runs the air across the heat sinks front-to-back and the extruder actuator fully blocks the back of the left heat sink and part of the right heat sink -- it again doesn't allow for what I would consider "optimal" air flow.

All that to say, heat dissipation is a bit temperamental, even when everything is stock -- as soon as anything is a bit out of tolerance, or operating less than optimally, problems increase.

I had a similar issue, where it would purge successfully, but as soon as it moved into position to start printing, it would jam. Almost certainly, the clicking you're hearing is the extruder gear skipping on the filament -- if you open up the extruder tensioner, you'll probably see a bunch of debris and if you unload the filament you might see a gouged portion of the filament where the extruder gear has "eaten" part of the filament away. This is a clear indication that the extruder is pushing, but the filament won't move through the system.

It could be any of the things noted by ccclarke - but my personal experience with the symptoms you're having, it usually stemmed back to heat creep issues for me.

matrhode

Postby matrhode » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:09 am

Thank you for the replies. We tore the top end down once again, and re-adjusted the heat sink on the hot end, cleaned everything out again, and reset the factory settings on the machine. Its running again. Now we know what to and what not to do when cleaning the top end.

Thanks again.

sal3011

Postby sal3011 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:52 pm

matrhode wrote:Thank you for the replies. We tore the top end down once again, and re-adjusted the heat sink on the hot end, cleaned everything out again, and reset the factory settings on the machine. Its running again. Now we know what to and what not to do when cleaning the top end.

Thanks again.

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem. Can you please let me know what exactly needs to be done and "how to adjust" the heat sink? It will be of great help! Thanks!

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:45 pm

sal3011 wrote:
matrhode wrote:Thank you for the replies. We tore the top end down once again, and re-adjusted the heat sink on the hot end, cleaned everything out again, and reset the factory settings on the machine. Its running again. Now we know what to and what not to do when cleaning the top end.

Thanks again.

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem. Can you please let me know what exactly needs to be done and "how to adjust" the heat sink? It will be of great help! Thanks!

Would you be able to provide a few images of your current hotend so that I can see what needs to be adjusted?

sal3011

Postby sal3011 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:40 am

Here are few images. Removed the fans for a better view.

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.08 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.08 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.08 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.07 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.08 PM (1).jpeg

sal3011

Postby sal3011 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:41 am

two more..

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.09 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.09 PM (1).jpeg

Thanks,
Salman

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:41 am

sal3011 wrote:Here are few images. Removed the fans for a better view.

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.08 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.08 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.08 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.08 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.57.07 PM.jpeg

Looking at the images that you provided it looks like your front (large) fan isn't spinning. Was this fan unplugged or has it not been running when the machine is powered on?

Return to “Pro2 Series”