Filament stuck in Pro2

miikapeltonen

Filament stuck in Pro2

Postby miikapeltonen » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:08 pm

Raise3D Pro2 stopped to feed filament and continued to to print air.

I canceled print and tried to unload the filament.
The motor kept few clicking sounds and unloaded approx. 8cm and then stopped. Now it's stuck. Doesn't move if loading or unloading. step motor rotates, but filament doesn't.

Help!

Markus64

Re: Filament stuck in Pro2

Postby Markus64 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:34 pm

You will probably have no choice but to dismantle the extruder and clear the blockage.

Croy5199

Postby Croy5199 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:35 pm

That is a dismantle and repair job, I've had to do so after having similar issue. The filament squishes at the feed roller and wont go in or out.

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:24 pm

Depending on where the end of the filament is located, it could be a quick job or it may take more a little more effort. Refer to the applicable procedure on the Raise3D support site. You may need to heat up the hot end, loosen the collet screw and drop the hot end if one end is melted in the throat or heater block. Otherwise, you loosen the fasteners and lift the extruder up to pull the filament down. Nothing difficult, just time-consuming.

Be aware that the small set screw that locks the throat to it is threaded into a very thin aluminum collet (there might be three threads to bite on in there) and strips very easily. Luckily, collet clamps are inexpensive, (I keep a minimum of two in my spares kit) so it's a good idea to have a few handy. You can buy them here: https://www.raise3d.com/products/pro-ho ... ount-left/

I'm going to change the design to make the set screw engagement area thicker and have a machinist at work crank a few out.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

miikapeltonen

Postby miikapeltonen » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 am

Thank you all. I'll start the dismantle job and will post results here. Hope nothing's broken.

miikapeltonen

Postby miikapeltonen » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:35 am

All right.

I Dismantled the extruder (and then some) to find my blockage. It was in between the filament sensor and extruder gears. There's a 3cm tunnel between them.

I opened the extruder set to see, that there's no opening or change to get the part out without much larger job including dismounting the gears.

I decided to heat the part a little to see if I could soften the filament. I covered everything else with glass-fibre cloth.
It worked. I cooled the visible part of filament (by simply blowing on it) to minimise risk of cutting it on top of the part and gently pushed filament forward and then pulled it out.

Then I used the cleaning rod to see that the tunnel is clear and assembled the extruder. Now it's printing.

I think that the tunnel in question is too narrow. There's no need for it to bee under or exact 2 mm. The extruder gears are able to pull up the blockage, but then the filament jams in this tube. And hard. Why cant it be like 2,25 mm in width.

Any ways. All is good for now.
Attachments
dismantle raise3d pro2 blockage.jpg
Clearing blockage from Raise3D Pro2

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:08 pm

If the cause was heat creep, a larger hole won't improve the problem.

miikapeltonen

Postby miikapeltonen » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 am

Ah so. This was new term for me. Now that I know this problems exists, next time I know what to do.
https://www.fargo3dprinting.com/how-to/heat-creep/

Return to “Pro2 Series”