MG Chemicals PLA filament "always" fails

Goodseat

MG Chemicals PLA filament "always" fails

Postby Goodseat » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum, and I recently got a "Pro 2" 3D printer.

Before I got this looking good 3D printer, I had a lot of fun with CR-10s, which was cheap, but reliable device.

With Raise3D's filaments, Pro 2 worked pretty well, finished several jobs of more than 30 hours.

Since I have many remaining rolls of "MG Chemicals' PLA 1.75mm black filament," which worked well with CR-10s, now, I'm using those 3rd party filaments with Pro 2.

Unfortunately, Pro 2 has never finished a single print with this filament.

It always fails.

I found some issues about using 3rd party filaments, and I took care of those problems, so far, like below.

1) Drive motor got too hot, so the high temperature in Bondtech's extruder module made the filament soft - glass transition - and the gears squeezed the filament, made it fat, and stuck inside the module.
-> I put some heatsinks on the drive stepper motor, and extra cooler fans, and it does not happen anymore.

2) The friction between MG Chemicals' filament and the stock filament tube was too high, it was even impossible for me to pull the filament out of the filament tube.
-> I removed the tube, and it solved.

Still, I don't know why the filament is jammed during the print, every time.

I have tried various settings for last 2 weeks, now I have no idea what to do anymore.

temperature 200 ~ 240 - failed, stuck
disabled z retraction (because I found the filament wedge? in the hot end block) - failed, stuck
reduced printing speed to 30mm/s - failed, stuck

I'm totally tired of finding a way to make it work.

Does anybody have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

It drives me crazy.

Markus64

Re: MG Chemicals PLA filament "always" fails

Postby Markus64 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:14 am

Hi Goodseat and welcome to the forum!
These are very annoying and time-consuming experiences that you have to have at the moment. Especially if you have been able to process this material on another printer without any problems. Is the printer new or used? Which nozzles are installed and how old are they? Other filaments work fine?

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:38 am

You answered your own question. If the filament you're trying to use isn't on the Raise3D-approved Open Filaments list, it may not work and you're on your own to experiment indefinitely until you hit upon the right recipe to allow it to print consistently.

Not realizing this, our company bought cases of 3DXTECH filament, (that wasn't on the approved list) and so far, nobody has been able to print with it. I'm currently going through a similar experimentation process with their ESD PLA, and it is very time-consuming, with a lot of data being taken as settings are changed and evaluated. I can get small prints to work, but nothing substantial.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Goodseat

Postby Goodseat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:54 am

Markus64 wrote:Hi Goodseat and welcome to the forum!
These are very annoying and time-consuming experiences that you have to have at the moment. Especially if you have been able to process this material on another printer without any problems. Is the printer new or used? Which nozzles are installed and how old are they? Other filaments work fine?

Hi, Markus64,
Both nozzles failed, and it is a used one, but not that old.
After a long long long thoughts, I have concluded that it is IMPOSSIBLE to use this filament on Raise 3D Pro 2.
I think I can't use up my remaining filaments..

Goodseat

Postby Goodseat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:56 am

ccclarke wrote:You answered your own question. If the filament you're trying to use isn't on the Raise3D-approved Open Filaments list, it may not work and you're on your own to experiment indefinitely until you hit upon the right recipe to allow it to print consistently.

Not realizing this, our company bought cases of 3DXTECH filament, (that wasn't on the approved list) and so far, nobody has been able to print with it. I'm currently going through a similar experimentation process with their ESD PLA, and it is very time-consuming, with a lot of data being taken as settings are changed and evaluated. I can get small prints to work, but nothing substantial.

Hi ccclarke,

Is there any 'specific list' of Raised 3D approved filamtns?? Where can I find it?

Anyway, I compared both 3D printers, CR-10s and Raised 3D pro2, and I found a huge difference, also I found that it would be impossible to use this filament.

I'm gonna write a more detailed thread about this problem.

Thanks.

Goodseat

Postby Goodseat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:06 pm

The Conclusion: "It is impossible, just buy official filaments"

Here are the pictures of Hot nozzles from CR-10s on the left, and Raise3D Pro 2 on the right.

F9E6C42E-5421-4587-878A-F959721ECC7D.jpeg
04517063-F492-4B22-85A8-7ECA2D24F2D6.jpeg

Can you see the difference?

I figured out that Raise3D Pro 2's heatsink is ridiculously shorter than CR-10s'

It would cause 'Heat creep' eventually, even though it started printing successfully.

Ans also, as it proceeds, the heat would go up through the nozzle throat, and cause the filament to stick inside the pipe.

53A8AECF-E747-4F2A-8449-06977F7FD73F.jpeg

It would not happen if I use Raise3D's premium filaments because they have higher glass transition temperature.

Congratulations, Raise 3D! I ordered a bunch of premium filaments!

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:27 pm

That is exactly the reason why I would never do without my water cooling again!

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Goodseat wrote:
ccclarke wrote:You answered your own question. If the filament you're trying to use isn't on the Raise3D-approved Open Filaments list, it may not work and you're on your own to experiment indefinitely until you hit upon the right recipe to allow it to print consistently.

Hi ccclarke,

Is there any 'specific list' of Raised 3D approved filamtns?? Where can I find it?

Anyway, I compared both 3D printers, CR-10s and Raised 3D pro2, and I found a huge difference, also I found that it would be impossible to use this filament.

I'm gonna write a more detailed thread about this problem.

Thanks.

https://www.raise3d.com/compatible-filaments/
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 pm

The recommendation for filaments is only partially correct, because users outside the USA have to deal with the filaments that are available in their country. The problem is the original hotends and the problem has been known since the Pro2 was released.
If the hotend is effectively cooled, the Pro2 prints flawlessly.

Kevin Nicholas

Postby Kevin Nicholas » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:25 am

Thanks for this post.
I experienced the same problem. Both my Raise3D supplier and Raise3D (on here) denied that there was an issue and said thet nobody else had reported the problem.
I use the Raise 3D filament BUT I just received a new batch and the filament is terrible. It does not stick to the bed and De-laminates even when I crank up the hot end temp to 240 C
I will be complaining about this to my supplier as the old reel (which still has a small amount of filament left on it prints just fine.

3D printers can be a pain.

Goodseat wrote:The Conclusion: "It is impossible, just buy official filaments"

Here are the pictures of Hot nozzles from CR-10s on the left, and Raise3D Pro 2 on the right.

F9E6C42E-5421-4587-878A-F959721ECC7D.jpeg
04517063-F492-4B22-85A8-7ECA2D24F2D6.jpeg

Can you see the difference?

I figured out that Raise3D Pro 2's heatsink is ridiculously shorter than CR-10s'

It would cause 'Heat creep' eventually, even though it started printing successfully.

Ans also, as it proceeds, the heat would go up through the nozzle throat, and cause the filament to stick inside the pipe.

53A8AECF-E747-4F2A-8449-06977F7FD73F.jpeg

It would not happen if I use Raise3D's premium filaments because they have higher glass transition temperature.

Congratulations, Raise 3D! I ordered a bunch of premium filaments!

Return to “Pro2 Series”