Liquid cooling for everyone

dantana

Re: Liquid cooling for everyone

Postby dantana » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:14 am

Thank you for all your hard work. I've got a Pro2 that's got heat creep so bad I can't print anything other than ABS, I'm hoping a more aggressive cooling solution will fix it. Thanks again!

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:58 am

Pixeldesire3D wrote:I think a lot of members will get a lot out of the installation instructions and process. especially any links to equipment used such as barbs and tubing. if you can maybe do a little video of your installation, that would be awesome.

Don't worry, I will photograph every component and document the entire conversion carefully. The conversion is not particularly complicated if you know the individual steps and have all the components. I expect the last components by the end of this week at the latest and then start with the documentation and preparation for installation. If everything works I have to print a few attachments to complete everything. Once this point has been worked through, I will publish the complete process here.

I have two goals:
1. The mod must work technically flawlessly.
2. The visual appearance must look as if the device came fresh from the factory with this extension.

I can already assure one detail that the water pump and the fan of the water cooling are practically inaudible. The system itself will also be quieter, since the loud fan for the hot ends will be eliminated.

Right now, to bridge the waiting time, I'm working on a temperature measurement of the heat exchangers. This will work via contactless infrared measurement, the temperatures will then be shown on a display. Everyone can decide for themselves whether they want it, need it or not. The hardware for this is coming. Due to time constraints, I will only present this module at a later date. Retrofitting to the current conversion is possible at any time later.

mdana

Postby mdana » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:08 pm

How are you powering the pump and fan? My original plan was to tap into the power supply on the printer, but ended up using a DC adapter that’s plugged into a power strip (along with the printer).

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:25 am

@mdana,
I connected the pump and cooler to one unit and attached a 12V power supply to it. I bought a power strip with a foot switch. There the printer and pump with cooler are connected and switched on and off together. We are close again :)
Last edited by Markus64 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:41 am

@dantana, welcome to the community!

If this modification is successful, the heat problem will be a thing of the past. But I would like to ask you to wait for my "GO" and not to order any parts yet. When my OK comes, the first step is to load the CAD files and look for a service provider who will manufacture the heat exchangers for you. It is important to tell the service provider that the fit and threads must be applied mechanical after SLM printing! I am currently sitting on coal and hope to get the heat exchangers soon.

I also designed the system so that you can disconnect the pump unit from the printer at any time without draining the cooling water. A splash guard (precautionary measure!) also serves as a holder for the cooling unit etc. Due to the corona crisis, deliveries are unfortunately delayed for me. But look up, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:18 pm

@dantana,
has the problem you described been there since you bought the printer? Did you ask your dealer for help or raise support? If so, what kind of solutions have you been given? Has anyone ever taken care of your problem? Please tell more.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:46 am

Update:
with luck I will receive the heat exchangers on Saturday because May 1st is a national holiday here in Germany and there is no mail delivery. After testing and trial mounting the heat exchangers, I test the cooling circuit for functionality. If both tests work properly, I will release my CAD file for replication and I will publish the parts list. When ordering the components, I took great care to use as many standard parts as possible. Most parts are ready to assemble in Ebay, Amazon or a local hardware store. The only part I have made besides the heat exchangers is the lasered aryl plate. I will provide the data for this holding plate as an SVG file for download. After the parts list has been published, I start with the conversion and documentation. I will need some time for this because installation and documentation are a time factor that should not be underestimated. So please be patient when the time comes. ;)

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 am

Update:
The heat exchangers are ready and will be shipped to me today. I should receive the delivery on Saturday and then start my tests before installation. The service provider who made the heat exchanger would have to deliver another set of 2 pieces.
Last edited by Markus64 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pixeldesire3D

Postby Pixeldesire3D » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:33 pm

that's was a fairly quick turn around. my parts will be shipped around May 18th.

mdana

Postby mdana » Fri May 01, 2020 5:12 am

Looks good. Might be a good idea to flush them out before installing them in your loop so that any leftover powder doesn’t get in the pump.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Update:
To bridge the waiting time for the heat exchanger, I tested the Titan Aqua Pump System today. The pump system normally works with a 6/8 plastic hose. 6 mm inner diameter, 8 mm outer diameter. I reduce this hose to 3/4 for our system at the water outlet and water inlet. 3 mm inside diameter, 4 mm outside diameter. Reducing the diameter for two reasons:

1. For reasons of space, since both lines are used up in the energy chain and
2. The supply of cooling water is still more than sufficient with this diameter.

Testing was carried out under difficult conditions! The water pipes were designed three times larger than needed later. The pump system did an excellent job! In the meantime, I covered the water pipes with a fabric hose and housed them in the energy chain. You'll see that later in the documentation.

I bought this cooling system:
https://e3d-online.com/titan-aqua

Update 2:

After the tests, I left the cooling system running for an hour. After that I noticed water loss. The radiator is leaking!!! Now I'm waiting for a replacement ... Shit happens!
Fortunately, I tested the system before installing it! I therefore advise all builders to carefully test the cooling system for leaks BEFORE installation! :evil:

Update 3:

I will attach a kink protection at places where the water pipes have to be bent. This will be an anti-kink spring made of stainless steel. It affects the points at which the cables are introduced and carried out in the energy chain. Better safe than sorry! ;)
Last edited by Markus64 on Wed May 06, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdana

Postby mdana » Sat May 02, 2020 12:07 am

Bummer, is there a bad solder joint or something on the actual radiator? I’m using the same/similar kit from E3D and haven’t had any issues, but I’m not sure if it’s any better than the kits on AliExpress.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:57 am

@mdana, probably a bad solder joint and very small. Nothing can be seen from the outside. I claim the kit is also produced cheaply in the Far East and sold here with a premium of 800% or more. It wouldn't bother me if the quality was right. Final inspection is the be-all and end-all of a manufacturing process and is increasingly neglected.

What else to report:

I will install a flow indicator in the cooling system. This ensures at a glance whether there is circulation. I ordered a really great part from Amazon, but yesterday the tests showed that the impeller has too much play and only sporadically rotated. The part goes back. As an alternative, I have now ordered a flow indicator from the laboratory area. The price is the same, but I hope for better quality and reliability.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:51 pm

Before starting the upgrade, a few pieces of advice to everyone who is following me.
If you have organized all the components, you should remove and dismantle both hotends and clean the throat tubes meticulously. Put them in Acteon for a few hours. If the threads in the aluminum body are stiff or dirty, you can also insert them in Acteon and later carefully cut the threads to remove any remaining dirt.
The throat tube and nozzle should be easy to screw in by hand. Checks the condition of the nozzles beforehand. If the condition is no longer properly installed new. To avoid stucking of the nozzle and the throat tube in the hotend in the future, I test a high-temperature copper paste.
Unfortunately, the deliveries or components were delayed again or had to be replaced and I am doomed to wait. If all components are present and are free of defects, the conversion can be completed in 2 to 3 hours without great effort. The parts list is 50% complete and will be published as soon as the last part has arrived and passed the function test.

In addition to the postings here, I will create a PDF with all components and construction steps which can be downloaded later.

Wish me luck, I'm getting tired of waiting and finally want to be able to print with this device carefree. ;)

jean-claude

Postby jean-claude » Sun May 03, 2020 9:03 am

Hi Markus,
Not only do I wish you good luck but also thank you for sharing this information !

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:14 am

jean-claude wrote:Hi Markus,
Not only do I wish you good luck but also thank you for sharing this information !

Thank you very much, jean-claude, you're welcome :)

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Today's little update:

To all fellow builders or those who want to become one. The upgrade eliminates the annoying fan of the hotends. There are two ways to remove this fan. Raise offers a PDF for downloading how to change this fan. The manufacturer recommends, because there is very little space in the housing, to loosen some cables that are in the way to pull the fan cable down out of the housing. Please take a look at this PDF!

Alternatively, there is an easier way. Removes the cable ties that hold the fan cable. With the machine switched off (!!!) then pulls the plug from the board. Take a look at the connector and use a needle to press the locking of the cable strand down. Once the lock is released, both cables can be disconnected from the connector. Without a plug, the cable can now be carefully pulled down through the housing and you save yourself a lot of work! If that worked please put new cable ties back and the job is done.

The disconnected connector can be replaced by bending the depressed tabs and inserting them into the housing. (Head loupe recommended)

A request to the Commuinty:

I need your help! Does anyone have pictures of the hot end, especially the heat sink, that were taken with a thermal imaging camera? I will borrow one to document the effectiveness of the cooling. So you would have a great comparison to the original and mod.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:59 am

Big update:
The heat exchangers arrived by post today! The parts look much better in the original than in the photo. All dimensions fit. I have temporarily installed a hotend and everything fits like a glove.

I hereby release the STEP file, available for download, in good conscience for replication.

And again this important note:
If you hand over the CAD file to the service provider, then attach the pictures.
1. The rendered image
2. The representation in section
3. The picture with dimensions. The fit 6h7 is important for the fit on the throat tube. The component is 3D printed in aluminum, the threads and the fit must be mechanically attached (CNC) after printing. My service provider did an excellent job.

A total of 4 parts are still missing. 3 of them are already on their way to me. The fourth part is the cooler of the cooling set from E3D, which was delivered defective at the factory. I hope to get a replacement as soon as possible.

Pixeldesire3D

Postby Pixeldesire3D » Tue May 05, 2020 3:26 pm

glad it is coming along for you. looking forward to some images of your cooler installed.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi Pixeldesire,
all pictures for installation follow, please have a little patience. The missing parts only arrive sporadically. Unfortunately, I need all parts for the installation instructions.

I had to revise the lasered acrylic glass plate which should serve as a holder and splash guard. Instead of 3 mm material thickness, I will now use 8 mm thick acrylic glass. This change requires changing the two feet in which the plate will be fixed later. Unfortunately I also have to order this plate again and hope that the service provider will deliver it to me in a timely manner.

I have spent many hours considering every little detail. For example, you will not need a single cable tie that indicates that this upgrade was installed afterwards. I also made sure that the color design of the upgrade matches the design of the printer. The eye also eats.
As I wrote in a previous post, the cooling unit as well as the water supply to the heat exchangers can be separated from the system very easily without water leakage.

I am currently working on the construction of the front cover. This cover is screwed into the existing threads of the hot end fan that has been omitted.

I will now bridge the waiting time with cleaning the two hot ends and subsequent complete assembly of the heat exchanger - hot end including documentation. When all parts are there I will assemble the system, complete the documentation and material list.
Then the first test run follows. Both nozzles are heated to 200 ° C and cooling is activated. I scheduled this test to take two hours. I document the temperatures and the effectiveness of water cooling at intervals of 10 minutes with the thermal imager. If the test is positive, the printer "may" print the front holding plate. If everything fits (I assume two prototypes), the instructions, material list and all STL's appear.

Return to “Pro2 Series”