Liquid cooling for everyone

Markus64

Liquid cooling for everyone

Postby Markus64 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:15 am

Hello Pro2 owner,
since I am also affected by the miserable hotends to be cooled (the forum is full of reports), I am convinced that liquid cooling is the only viable solution to this problem. In my experience, leaving the printer to work unattended overnight is in the original version a significant risk. I found posts in the forum regarding liquid cooling but no adequate files or drawings to download so everyone could benefit. On the contrary, up to $ 250 is charged for a set of cooling elements.
If you live abroad and you first have to import the parts from the $ 250, they quickly double. For what the printer offers at weak points, it is overpriced by factor 4 and any investment for improvements causes almost physical pain.
I think of the well-being and together of all the frustrated Pro2 owners who can’t expect a solution from the manufacturer.

What also bothers me considerably is the fact that you have to unscrew the fans every time you change the nozzle. Has anyone thought about a plug-in solution?

I am currently designing the liquid cooler with Fusion360. A few details about the existing solutions bother me that I will improve. My goal is that later, even less experienced users can build and install the cooling system themselves.
I will of course make the CAD files available free of charge! It would be great if there were like-minded people here. You could possibly develop different designs and develop a final solution from the advantages and disadvantages. Are you interested in the community?

Markus64

Re: Liquid cooling for everyone

Postby Markus64 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 pm

An alternative to liquid cooling could also be a thermoelectric air cooler (of course outside the device). Then, instead of liquid, cold air is led through the hoses into the heat exchanger and you could sleep more peacefully. The components for it are even quite inexpensive.

Pixeldesire3D

Postby Pixeldesire3D » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi Markus, is there a cad model of the Pro2 I can use? I've been doing some super simple liquid block design in F360 as well. I've priced the current design at 137 for two out of aluminum. what issues were you trying to solve from the old block design posted on the forum?

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:04 pm

Update:

The design of the heat exchanger is basically finished.

I will have two prototypes made from aluminum using a 3D printing SLM process.
I expect the finished components to be available until around mid-May. The water cooling system "Titan Aqua Watercooling" from e3D is used as the pumping station. I also expect to receive this component in two weeks and can then report more about it.

Here's my CAD File for download:
These drawings are free hardware!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0q43nyvrw5j2u0/Heat%20Exchanger%20%20v21.step?dl=0
Last edited by Markus64 on Mon May 04, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:16 pm

How do you machine the internal hole ? ahhh just saw that you want to 3D print it. make small channels inside to better dissipate the heat, check cpu water blocks to get better idea.

I personally dont want to go with water cooling, too many cables and water tubes, just a mess and not really needed except if your printing very high temp filaments like Peek.

I replaced my nozzles with E3D and modified them a little and they are working very well even with lid on.
Attachments
IMG_1237.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi Naser404,
for me there is no alternative. However, there are no cables with this construction solution, only two small sleeves. I have designed the system so that the hoses can be laid in the energy chain. Afterwards, the whole system looks like it was produced in the factory. Let yourself be surprised. It is also ensured that there is no water leakage if, for example, the heat exchanger is removed together with the hotend for the purpose of changing the nozzle. Pictures follow when I do the conversion.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Naser404 wrote:How do you machine the internal hole ? ahhh just saw that you want to 3D print it. make small channels inside to better dissipate the heat, check cpu water blocks to get better idea.

I personally dont want to go with water cooling, too many cables and water tubes, just a mess and not really needed except if your printing very high temp filaments like Peek.

I replaced my nozzles with E3D and modified them a little and they are working very well even with lid on.

Very good and clean job, respect! :)

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:06 pm

Pixeldesire3D wrote:Hi Markus, is there a cad model of the Pro2 I can use? I've been doing some super simple liquid block design in F360 as well. I've priced the current design at 137 for two out of aluminum. what issues were you trying to solve from the old block design posted on the forum?

@Pixeldesire3D,
The design of the copper cooling elements is too bulky for me and too expensive. But what annoyed me is that it was not made available to the community for free (CAD Files). I would like to change that with my work. Everyone should have the chance to convert their Pro2 to liquid cooling without becoming poor. Please show your designs. BTW, 137 bucks for two out of aluminum is a really good price. Is your Pro2 working with it? Any photos?

mdana

Postby mdana » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:36 am

I have a similar design that was printed in aluminum as well as a machined version. I can share both step files as well as the SolidWorks model. One bit of warning, make sure you have enough clearance on the back of the block so it doesn’t interfere with the housing for the nozzle lifting servo. I had to scrap the first set of parts that I made.
Attachments
75D8141A-40DF-4FE9-A967-0FBAF1F295C7.jpeg
93E409AD-5EE4-4285-803C-30A6A55047B0.jpeg

Pixeldesire3D

Postby Pixeldesire3D » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:44 am

mdana wrote:I have a similar design that was printed in aluminum as well as a machined version. I can share both step files as well as the SolidWorks model. One bit of warning, make sure you have enough clearance on the back of the block so it doesn’t interfere with the housing for the nozzle lifting servo. I had to scrap the first set of parts that I made.

mdana, nice design, if you can share the model that would be awesome. maybe I can have a batch done with some people and drop the price even more. my goal was to keep everything as close to stock as possible and not altering any other components. I was even looking at keeping the diameter of tubing small so as to not force the assembly to carry even more weight from cooling block and tubing.
would you by chance have some cad of the extrude assembly?

Marku64, we pretty much have the same design, I just don't have the raised block where the barb screws in. are you interested in having a set from mdana or running yours? let's link up and see about making a couple, maybe posting it to see if others are interested and we can drop the price with a bigger order?

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Today I wrote to 8 service providers for SLM prints in Germany to get offers. The SLM prints are mechanically treated. This means that the threads are not printed but made as fixed inlays and then created mechanically. Likewise, the hole for receiving the throat tube. That will be a 6h7 fit. I hope to receive the offers this week. A bulk order in America is probably out of the question for me as a German, because shipping and customs costs negate the price advantage. If there are German prospects here, you are welcome to write a word here.

The most important thing is that every user, no matter where in the world he sits and would like to have water cooling, has access to our free CAD files and can have them made where he is at home. If there is the possibility of a bulk order, this is the best opportunity to organize yourself.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:23 pm

mdana wrote: I had to scrap the first set of parts that I made.

OUCH! :o :x

Still very well done, mdana! What can you report positive about your mod? Did you ever have problems like heat creeping or overheating the hotend after the conversion?

mdana

Postby mdana » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:48 pm

Here are the CAD files for the water blocks (DMLS and machined version):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yc0g07a067fks ... .STEP?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q93w5ug9f3lji ... .STEP?dl=0
The machined version is cross drilled and plugged with M4 set screws.
Cross Drilled Water Block.JPG

mdana

Postby mdana » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Markus64 wrote:Update:

The design of the heat exchanger is basically finished.

I will have two prototypes made from aluminum using a 3D printing SLM process.
I expect the finished components to be available until around mid-May. The water cooling system "Titan Aqua Watercooling" from e3D is used as the pumping station. I also expect to receive this component in two weeks and can then report more about it.

Here's my CAD File for download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0q43nyvrw5j2u0/Heat%20Exchanger%20%20v21.step?dl=0

Here's a cross section of my printed block for reference.
Water Block, Printed v3.JPG

mdana

Postby mdana » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:26 pm

Markus64 wrote:
mdana wrote: I had to scrap the first set of parts that I made.

OUCH! :o :x

Still very well done, mdana! What can you report positive about your mod? Did you ever have problems like heat creeping or overheating the hotend after the conversion?

This solved the heat creep issues and haven’t had any issues with leaks or anything. Haven’t really had a chance to do much with the printer though since it’s at our office (currently shutdown), so primarily printing at home on my Ender 5.

Pixeldesire3D

Postby Pixeldesire3D » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:22 am

Thank you guys for sharing your files

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:02 pm

You are all welcome! ;)

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:29 am

Update:
I placed the order and am now waiting for the SLM-printed and CNC-processed heat exchangers. When all components of the liquid cooling are here, I create the documentation and installation instructions. If the system works as expected I will be busy printing a few additions to this mod. Of course, I will then also make these parts available for free download as STL.

Pixeldesire3D

Postby Pixeldesire3D » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:08 pm

I think a lot of members will get a lot out of the installation instructions and process. especially any links to equipment used such as barbs and tubing. if you can maybe do a little video of your installation, that would be awesome.

dantana

Postby dantana » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:11 am

I just registered on this forum, only to say that making the liquid cooled option available would be greatly appreciated. I've got a Pro2 with terrible heat creep issues, and right now I can't get it to print with anything other than ABS. Thank you!

Return to “Pro2 Series”