Extruder Motor Cooling

Markus64

Extruder Motor Cooling

Postby Markus64 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:53 pm

Hello everybody!

When I bought my Pro2 in February, I also ordered the so-called "Pro2 fan upgrade for extruder motor". However, the part is quite bulky and makes it difficult to access the left extruder. At a second glance you can quickly see that it is not an "upgrade", rather an emergency solution to cool the extruder motor at least a little.

I came up with a fairly simple solution that is effective and also very cheap. The extruder motor only gets lukewarm even during continuous operation.
The solution can be replicated very easily.

Here is a picture of the "upgrade"

Here you can clearly see the limited space to make settings on the extruder. The fan runs constantly and at some point you can get your fingers on the fan blades. A fan guard can not be attached because the fan is "plugged" with only 3 screws, the thread in the plastic is missing ...

Now for my solution:

I ordered a bundle with 4 aluminum heat sinks from Amazon. The heat sinks are 40 x 40 mm and 11 mm high. I sawed two pieces suitable for the flanks of the motor, 40 x 40 mm fits perfectly on the front. I have glued the back of the heat sink with special adhesive tape (for heat sink).

All heat sinks glued on ...

... and another (quiet) 40 x 40 x 10 mm fan screwed directly onto the front heat sink - of course with Fan Guard.

... and you can get to the filament shaft again without any problems.

When connecting the fan you have to be careful and pay attention to the pin assignment! Raise has the plus side on the left instead of the right!

I will passively cool the rear extruder motor for the right motor. There are the same heat sinks in the dimensions 40 x 40 mm, 20 mm high.

I wish you lots of fun and success with the replica! 8-)

Return to “Pro2 Series”