Board Error: Error Sensor: TO

IliaT

Board Error: Error Sensor: TO

Postby IliaT » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 pm

Hello.

After a year of trouble free work our Raise 3D Pro2Plud 3D printer ran in to the issue. We printed big part overnight out of PLA and this morning I found it stopped printing in the middle of the work and displayed Board Error: Error Sensor: TO message on the screen.

I pressed the Restart on the screen, then the 3D printer restarted and showed the 3D print work recovery message.

I pressed the Continue current task on the screen and the 3D printed zeroed the X-Y positions and started heating up the nozzle and the print bed. Then I found the Left Nozzle and the Print Bed do not heat up for some reason and their target temperature is 0. Even I set target temperature manually it kept it 0.

I restarted the 3D printer again using the power switch om the back side and the 3D printer ran again through the 3D printing work recovery process, I pressed again the Continue current task on the screen, printed again zeroed XY positions, but now it started heating up normally. But then the Left and Right Nozzles temperature stopped at around 170C. I waited a few minutes but nothing happened, the Left and Right nozzles temperature stayed at around 170C.

Then I started feeling burned plastic smell in the 3D printer. I restarted the 3D printer a few times with the same result, the nozzles temperature stopped at around 170C. The burned plastic smell was becoming stronger. So I took temperature camera and found the nozzle temperature is over 300 C.

I turned the 3D printer OFF, then turned it ON again immediately but did not recover the work to let the cooling fan to cool it down. Then I shut the 3D printer down and wiggled all the cabled on the printhead. Then I turned the 3D printer ON again, pressed the Continue current task on the screen, and after this the Left and Right Nozzles temperature reached the target temperature 205 C correctly and the print work continued normally. The temperature camera shower the correct nozzle temperature is around 205 C.

We had temperature registering issues on this 3D printer before but it never stopped printing work, it always jammed filament in such case. We fixed it building special cable holder bracket to prevent the cable wiggling during 3D printing https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16461 and it fixed the issue. But now it looks like there is another temperature measuring related issue.

So what was that? Bad cable or bad connection maybe? How do I fix it and prevent it in the future?

Is it safe to use the 3D printed like that? Is it safe to print on it without supervision over night?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Board Error: Error Sensor: TO

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 am

Would you like to export the serial log from your screen and share with us? We can try dig in and see whether the moment the error being thrown out are still not yet covered by no data.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:03 am

That would be great. Can you please let me know how do I export the serial log from my screen?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:28 pm

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Thank you. Here is the serial log file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLnHmQ ... sp=sharing

I also performed short test print today with PLA not related to this issue and found the filament jammed withing 10 sec after starting print work. So I took the thermal camera again and started this test print again. The nozzle temperature reached 205 C as supposed to, then print head purged filament, and once it started printing I found with the thermal camera that the temperature of the nozzle started dropping down

But the nozzle temperature on the screen showed steady 205 C

Once the nozzle temperature dropped down below 150 C according the thermal camera the filament jammed. But the screen always showed 205 C.

It was short about 20 sec test print work and once the work has been done and the print head parked to the initial position the nozzle temperature on the screen jumped down below 130 C and after this showed the nozzle cooling down temperature changes correctly

Please note I downloaded the log file after the 2 more last failed test prints with jammed filament so maybe you can find something there related this issue. Also the initial work where I got the error Board Error: Error Sensor: TO was recovered and finished successfully this morning.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 pm

Update: it consistently starts dropping nozzle temperature after starting purging the filament before printing without reflecting it on the screen.

I captured video of this issue https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AVIMyz ... sp=sharing

Here is the test print G-code I generated in the ideaMaker 3.4.2 and tested this morning https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uoYFkX ... sp=sharing

Here is STL file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LIoRpU ... sp=sharing

Besides the print test I set the nozzle temperature to 205 and moved the print head over the tray space and found no affecting on the nozzle temperature, it kept correct temperature without dropping or raising according thermal camera. I also wiggled the wires on the print head, it did not affect nozzle temperature, the nozzle kept correct temperature without dropping or raising. It drops the temperature only after starting purging filament. Please let me know what it could be.

Pay attention the last portion of the video where you can see how the nozzle temperature jumped down from 205 C to 130 C once the print head is parked.

Basically this is about the same temperature related issue I'm getting now as I got after Board Error: Error Sensor: TO error with the big print yesterday with only difference in that big print case the temperature uncontrollable raised up while the temperature on the screen was frozen at around 170 C.
Last edited by IliaT on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:29 pm

Update: I ran a G-code for a part we printed successfully before and the 3D printer started printing it without temperature issues. So it seems to me there is a temperature related glitch in the system which appears for some type of geometry or something.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 am

Would you like to slice a tiny cube with PLA on right nozzle, print it and see whether print looks fine or not?
And please make sure that this option has been enabled on your touchscreen: https://support.raise3d.com/RaiseTouch/ ... 7-878.html

You can open a support ticket to talk with our technicians directly at http://help.raise3d.com to get more efficient help from here.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:43 pm

I will do. It might take for a while though, we are currently waiting a coupling to be replaced on the printer. Thank you for response.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:38 am

I have sent ticket to support.

Yes, the option Record serial logs to local storage in background is enabled.

I 3D printed small 5x5x5 mm cube on the Right Extruder with no issues.

I also printed single layer small print on the Right Extruder and again the extruder started cooling down after purging filament with the temperature on the screes showed steady 205 C.

I also printed a few single layer bigger prints on the Left Extruder and the print started OK but the extruder started cooling down about 5 minutes before the end of the job in all those single layer big prints cases with showing steady 205 C on the screen.

Also when I printed on the Right Extruder the filament cooling fans started working right from the first layer, they started working right when purging started for some reason.

For me it looks like software bugs.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 am

Would you mind advise me you ticket number? I will double confirm with our technicians that they have all the information they need.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:51 pm

OK the problem appeared again, the nozzle was clogged first time (because of wrong temperature reading) and another time with the same print board error message appeared. But now when I wiggled the cable to hot end board multicolored wires connector the temperature jumped up and down.

So I unplugged the connector, disassembled it and found a few significantly bent crimp connectors and one poorly crimped connector.

I inspected all connectors, bent the bad connectors to normal shape, soldered the poor crimped connector and assembled the plug back. Now the printer prints with no issues so far.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:21 pm

The problem seems on the cable itself that needs to be replaced.
Please contact our support at http://help.raise3d.com to see how you can get a new cable.

jlmilford

Postby jlmilford » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:13 am

I have the same issue.. does that cable also signal the nozzle switching? Because I have a randomly switching nozzle as well as the temp error.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:11 am

This cable does carry the signal for the shifting of the hotends.

Return to “Pro2 Series”