Smoke, melted PLA, and a bent gantry

Simko

Smoke, melted PLA, and a bent gantry

Postby Simko » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:17 am

Hello everyone, I am the new owner of a slightly smokey and somewhat non-functioning Raise 3D Pro2.

An industrial customer of mine had an issue with the printer and rather than mess around with trying to fix it, they ended up getting a different printer and this was just sitting around, so I inquired about it and was told that I could have it.

The printer boots up, the Z-axis moves fine, the X and Y try to move but the rods are bent upwards almost like the build plate pushed the hot ends/extruder upwards. The silicone socks melted off of the hot ends.

I am going to loosen all of the set screws holding the X and Y rods in place and see if that helps anything settle back into place. I am going to try to heat up the hot ends and try to unload the filament. If that goes well, I am going to take both hot ends off and inspect everything.

Does anyone have any ideas on what chain of events would have led to this? Thermal runaway? I can’t wrap my head around how the molten PLA was splashed not only on the build plate, but also on the inside of the case door/walls.

I want to get it fixed, but I also want to take care of the root cause of the problem. According to the previous owner, it was printing fine and the last thing that they did was install a BuildTak FlexPlate and reset the Z height. Probably not related to this, but I wanted to put it out there.

6047A425-3C87-458F-A8AA-7A2DCFF38281.jpeg

A0FA4C07-E260-4E86-99F8-8591640AA497.jpeg

5C0DDCD1-653F-4830-A16F-C58759DB4D76.jpeg

B19309B9-E129-4709-B8B3-1982AA4E4FE3.jpeg

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Smoke, melted PLA, and a bent gantry

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:37 pm

I would recommend you not power on the printer before the issue being found and damaged parts being swapped.
The smoke can be caused by improper heating which may potentially happen or cause further damage after power on the printer. It can be cable, can be board. And from one of your pictures, the heating rod inside the hotend seems being moved from where it was original at.
Where you are currently at? I would suggest to contact our technicians or our certifited sales partners in your area to provide professional advise and diagonise.

mdana

Postby mdana » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:03 am

My left hotend just fell off in the middle of a print. Luckily, I was nearby and was able to turn it off (there really should be an emergency stop on a “industrial” printer). I might have came back on Monday to a similar situation?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:07 pm

Hotend falling off is normally caused by loose hotend collet which can't hold the hotend properly.
Unless when the hotend dropped and it had dragged the cables attached to it which may cause damage to the cables, or normally it won't cause heating issues.

Return to “Pro2 Series”